**2018 Husker Previews: SBNation - What should we expect from Scott Frost’s first Nebraska team?**

2 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

This team has more talent than every team on that schedule everyone is worried about except Ohio State an Michigan. (And in reality Michigan is not much more talented than Nebraska.)

If we're going by recruiting rankings Michigan is far and away more talented than us. They have 20 guys since 2015 that were ranked .94 or better. We have 5. Eric Lee, L Jackson, Raridon, Tyjon, and AMart. Not only do they get way more 4 and 5 star players than us, they get higher caliber 4 star guys to go with it. 

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

It's hard to base anything on last years performance expecially when it was fairly obvious the Defense quit on Diaco following his actions and comments during and after the Northwestern game.

That said strictly on recruiting talent we were already one of the 25 most talented teams in the country not counting incoming players.

We added:

The #1 Juco RB who is good enough that he probably starts Day 1.

The #2 Juco WR who is probably one of the 5 fastest players in the country.

The #6 Juco WR who runs a sub 4.4 and caught 7 td's playing for EMCC (aka Last Chance U)

The #2 Juco Safety Who looks like an absolute headhunter.

The #1 ILB Who already looks like he will be one of the best players on the team and an anchor in the middle of the defense.

AND we added Breon Dixon who will start at the hybrid OLB/Nickel spot.

This team has more talent than every team on that schedule everyone is worried about except Ohio State an Michigan. (And in reality Michigan is not much more talented than Nebraska.)

As it stands 6 wins would be a big underachievement.

Has all that talent been working out properly? Has all that talent learned effective tackling techniques? No way all that talent learned effective blocking techniques because one has to be in proper shape to execute effective blocking techniques. We have some exciting juco players coming here, I agree, but they were in juco last year. The Big 10 has a little stiffer competition than these guys have seen. I don't see a problem with realistic expectations. Aspirations are different. 12 and 0 all day long. 

7 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

Has all that talent been working out properly? Has all that talent learned effective tackling techniques? No way all that talent learned effective blocking techniques because one has to be in proper shape to execute effective blocking techniques.

Pretty sure you're preaching to the choir here.

For those of you agreeing with the notion put forth by this writer that 5-7 or 6-6 is the most likely outcome for the 2018 season...

I'd like to point out three things: 1) Mike Riley ain't here no more, 2) defensively we're not going to sit back anymore and let teams have their way, and 3) NU has 7 home games.  I think NU can go at least 6-1 at home.

Also, of all our road games, only Ohio State and Wisconsin have probably a better than 50% of winning.  Ohio State is just more talented and and Wisconsin is a mental block.  The other road games though?  @Northwestern and @Iowa?  Child please.  Nebraska will win both of those.

I could be wrong and Nebraska very well could finish 5-7 or 6-6...

But the way I see it, 8-4 or 9-3 is there for the taking.  #NoFearOfFailure

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Pretty sure you're preaching to the choir here.

I guess I'm just wondering why reasonable expectations are considered a kind of defeatist attitude to some. It was posited that we have more talent in the Big 10 than anyone save OSU and Mis#!tigan. I expressed my belief that the talent we have hasn't been trained to perform very well, therefore I believe we might lose a few games. I don't believe I was preaching, I was expressing my reasoning for the beliefs or expectations I have for the upcoming season. I think it's going to a great year with a few more wins than last year and a lot more competitiveness. 

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

This team has grossly underachieved for a decade relative to the talent on the roster.

Eh, Pelini's teams tended to end the season ranked about the same as his recruiting classes did: hovering right around the edge of the top 25.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is amazingly bad. I'm guessing the only reason we were ranked high on defense against long passes is because teams didn't need to bother trying.

That's the thing about these defensive coordinators that get so obsessed with never giving up big plays. They basically say "You're not gonna get the home run on us, can you put together a long, sustained drive without making any mistakes?" It can suffocate offenses that require occasional big plays to 'open things up'. But when you put them up against any team that can execute consistently, that offense just says "OK, we can and we will!"

3 hours ago, H2h said:

If we're going by recruiting rankings Michigan is far and away more talented than us. They have 20 guys since 2015 that were ranked .94 or better. Not only do they get way more 4 and 5 star players than us, they get higher caliber 4 star guys to go with it. 

And yet Harbaugh still hasn't been able to get a QB to play particularly well...

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is amazingly bad. I'm guessing the only reason we were ranked high on defense against long passes is because teams didn't need to bother trying.

2017NebraskaDefRadar.png

They (Diaco) were/was so worried about giving up big plays that they tried to prevent them at all costs. So instead of giving up big plays, they just gave up way more medium plays instead.

I guess it's like the basketball equivalent of being so worried about guarding the three-point shot that you routinely give up open lay ups and dunks instead. 

Talent as indicated by recruiting service rankings puts us somewhere in the mid 30s I would suppose based on the comments I've read on this board over the past number of years.  Mid 30s talent (assuming the ratings are fairly accurate - I am not sure I would subscribe to that but allowing for that as being true), if poorly coached, in mediocre physical condition at best, and lacking the real motivation and desire to overcome and win (no Husker heart as a team in my view, then the results on the field for past decade or so are not surprising.

The term talent in my view includes both mental and physical skills and capabilities etc.   A player who runs a 4.3 forty and 10.4 hundred meters may have the physical ability but if he plays lackluster and half hearted, the results will be as we've been experiencing for a long time.    A guy who runs 4.6 but with the fire and determination of Roger Craig or Joel Mackovica has far more 'talent' for the game.  Track stars may not be as good on the football field if the hitting and toughness and heart are not there.  

If Frost and Company can motivate and condition the team mentally and physically to play up to their potential, we'll win more games that people are expecting this fall.  If the majority of the players have the 'want to' it takes to become winners.   I would say there were too many on the team in recent years that just seemed, by their actions and general level of play, to lack the heart and desire to give their utmost to win.  The challenge will be to find those players on the roster that have that heart and desire and will power to give their very best.  They also have to believe in themselves as individuals and as a team.  Not many comments suggest much faith in the current team.  

The talent on this team is NOT what it needs to be to compete consistantly with the top 25 teams based on the years of failure to do so.  However, Frost may well be able to bring out the best and the beast in the players and win 9 games this fall.   I will be disappointed with a 6 win season certainly as I expect better.   Give Frost the talent and he can win championships at Nebraska (or most any other program for that matter).  That is a true indicator of how good a coach is and Frost seems to have that 'it' factor.   Let him recruit players who have the heart and physical skill and he will win.   

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Talent as indicated by recruiting service rankings puts us somewhere in the mid 30s I would suppose based on the comments I've read on this board over the past number of years.  Mid 30s talent (assuming the ratings are fairly accurate - I am not sure I would subscribe to that but allowing for that as being true), if poorly coached, in mediocre physical condition at best, and lacking the real motivation and desire to overcome and win (no Husker heart as a team in my view, then the results on the field for past decade or so are not surprising.

The term talent in my view includes both mental and physical skills and capabilities etc.   A player who runs a 4.3 forty and 10.4 hundred meters may have the physical ability but if he plays lackluster and half hearted, the results will be as we've been experiencing for a long time.    A guy who runs 4.6 but with the fire and determination of Roger Craig or Joel Mackovica has far more 'talent' for the game.  Track stars may not be as good on the football field if the hitting and toughness and heart are not there.  

If Frost and Company can motivate and condition the team mentally and physically to play up to their potential, we'll win more games that people are expecting this fall.  If the majority of the players have the 'want to' it takes to become winners.   I would say there were too many on the team in recent years that just seemed, by their actions and general level of play, to lack the heart and desire to give their utmost to win.  The challenge will be to find those players on the roster that have that heart and desire and will power to give their very best.  They also have to believe in themselves as individuals and as a team.  Not many comments suggest much faith in the current team.  

The talent on this team is NOT what it needs to be to compete consistantly with the top 25 teams based on the years of failure to do so.  However, Frost may well be able to bring out the best and the beast in the players and win 9 games this fall.   I will be disappointed with a 6 win season certainly as I expect better.   Give Frost the talent and he can win championships at Nebraska (or most any other program for that matter).  That is a true indicator of how good a coach is and Frost seems to have that 'it' factor.   Let him recruit players who have the heart and physical skill and he will win.   

I think you underestimate the power of the leader on this will to win. The kids may have it, but ultimately in college football you follow your leader and if he doesn't have it, its gonna be awful hard to drag it out of yourself. Definitely doeable, but its an uphill battle.

If you have a leader who exhibits this fire daily, it is like gravity pulling stones down a hillside, all it takes is a little push from yourself and all of the sudden you are all in with this guy and he is bringing out the best in you. Great leaders tend to get at that right away. Spending time around these people is instantly life changing.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

This team has more talent than every team on that schedule everyone is worried about except Ohio State an Michigan. (And in reality Michigan is not much more talented than Nebraska.

As it stands 6 wins would be a big underachievement.

What would a 6 win season mean for you then?

I hope that doesn’t come off as an attack, I’m honestly asking and I’m not looking for a right answer or anything. I have predicted what feels like (in my mind) a very safe 7 win season. I can definitely see a path to 8 or 9, mostly because I think the OLine will be far better, but I can also see us struggling and only winning 5-6. Would 5-6 wins put some assistants on a relatively hot seat for you?

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think you underestimate the power of the leader on this will to win. The kids may have it, but ultimately in college football you follow your leader and if he doesn't have it, its gonna be awful hard to drag it out of yourself. Definitely doeable, but its an uphill battle.

If you have a leader who exhibits this fire daily, it is like gravity pulling stones down a hillside, all it takes is a little push from yourself and all of the sudden you are all in with this guy and he is bringing out the best in you. Great leaders tend to get at that right away. Spending time around these people is instantly life changing.

On the contrary, I am making that point exactly.  A coach is a leader that can or can't motivate.  Frost better not be expecting players to do the leading.

4 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

I expect not having to delete games I've recorded on the dvr before even watching them.

This!!  Or watching the first part of the game and deciding if it is worth the punishment to finish.   Oregon, minny, Iowa, Ohio st, Penn st, to name a few last year. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

What would a 6 win season mean for you then?

I hope that doesn’t come off as an attack, I’m honestly asking and I’m not looking for a right answer or anything. I have predicted what feels like (in my mind) a very safe 7 win season. I can definitely see a path to 8 or 9, mostly because I think the OLine will be far better, but I can also see us struggling and only winning 5-6. Would 5-6 wins put some assistants on a relatively hot seat for you?

hell no!  first year for these guys........give them 3-4 years.

• Plus1 1