Should a business owner have the right to refuse service to customers?

37 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What about a flipped question...would you give your business to a place that didn't believe/think/act like you do?

In some cases, ya. I won't shop at Wal-mart, although that's probably not a good example because it's specifically because of their business practices. Chik-Fil-A is a good example. I have been there a few times but mostly avoid it.

I've owned a business with a store front before, and I like to think I would tell any of the Trumps to get the hell out, but it's also possible I'd chicken out, or just kinda see what they were like by acting normal.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For me it depends how critical it is. I think if my contribution to a bigoted business would make or break something, my principles would take over and I'd not frequent that business.  Dollar Vote, and all that.

But I shop at Hobby Lobby, and once in a blue moon I get Chik-Fil-A, meaning I understand principles go so far, and convenience and ease have a say as well.

It's why I posed the question. It's not an easy answer. And I can see the "right" side of a lot of different arguments in these situations.

A professor once told my class, "Your rights end where my rights begin."  And that was a clever enough phrase when I was 18.  But that boundary isn't straight; it's a jagged edge that loops and twists around itself. 

I think I have had Chik twice...only because I really don't think about it all that much.   If there was one right next to my house and if they had a dollar menu (Do they?) I would get it more often I think.

Just now, teachercd said:

I think I have had Chik twice...only because I really don't think about it all that much.   If there was one right next to my house and if they had a dollar menu (Do they?) I would get it more often I think.

It's not bad, but it's more hype than anything. A buddy grew up in the South and he was crazy excited when they came to Lincoln. I went a couple of times... it's OK.

Some of the dudes I follow on the Twitter are insane for Popeye's.  I've had them a couple of times and... eh. It's OK.  It's just fried chicken.  I don't get the hype.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's not bad, but it's more hype than anything. A buddy grew up in the South and he was crazy excited when they came to Lincoln. I went a couple of times... it's OK.

Some of the dudes I follow on the Twitter are insane for Popeye's.  I've had them a couple of times and... eh. It's OK.  It's just fried chicken.  I don't get the hype.

Funny you say that...Popeyes is almost legendary but I am not sure why.  It has decent seasoning but that is really about it.

What a business owner 'should do' and 'does do' are two different things. Just understand that it goes both ways. If a baker doesn't want to bake a cake for someone they disagree with, morally, then they should have that right. It doesn't mean that their decision is the best one for all, just maybe the best for them. The same goes for a restaurant that doesn't agree with a patron, morally. They have the same right. If you refuse to sell/make something for someone you disagree with, then don't be surprised if certain people stop buying your product. My biggest problem is that some people look at the one situation and think that it's bad but then applaud the other. You vote with your wallet. If I don't agree with how someone runs their company, then I just won't buy their product. Supply and Demand or something like that. :lol: Both sides (extremes) are blinded by their own views and can't see the other viewpoint. Personally, I would have made the cake and served Sanders at the restaurant, but I also understand that each owner had the right to refuse to do so. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It depends what you mean by "forced". This is one of those gray areas that seems simple on the surface (just don't force money for abortions or birth control) but is actually a very slippery slope. We're all forced to do or pay for things we don't want to. Think of all the things that people could decide are things they don't want to be forced to pay for. The easiest example is war. If I have a religious/moral/ethical aversion to war, then can I say I shouldn't be forced to pay for war? And I'm sure you can think of other examples on all parts of the political spectrum.

I'm not saying what people should or shouldn't be forced to do but rather just that there's nuance to that discussion. And that there's a lot of room between abortions and birth control.

I wasn’t attempting to delve into the being forced to pay for it angle. That’s another issue with other considerations. However, I don’t think there is any nuance at all to the issue of forcing Catholic institutions to perform abortions. Seems like a straight forward no-brainer to me. And as far as Catholics are concerned (officially) I don’t think there is any room between abortions and birth control. I can’t for the life of me fathom why anyone desiring either of those two things would begin to think a Catholic run facility would be the place to go to acquire either one. Pretty simple, just go somewhere else. I said “officially” because that is the position of the church and not necessarily all Catholics. I happen to be opposed to abortion in most cases (not all...) but I think preventative birth control should not only be readily available but encouraged. Where that one starts to get gray fast is with things like the day after pill. Anyway I just don’t understand why people feel the need to force others into doing things they don’t want to do. Aren’t there plenty of places that can willfully provide those things? I would need it explained to me how someone else’s right to have an abortion would or should supercede my right to refuse to perform one. No one should have to commit murder if that is what they feel it is and if they really feel that way I fail to see how the issue could ever be forced.

Sorry, I really don’t want to derail this topic into the black hole of abortion but it seemed strongly related to the topic. I’m guessing that there are many people that feel just as strongly opposed to same sex marriage etc. Not sure what is to be gained as a society in forcing the issue.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Day by Day said:

What a business owner 'should do' and 'does do' are two different things. Just understand that it goes both ways. If a baker doesn't want to bake a cake for someone they disagree with, morally, then they should have that right. It doesn't mean that their decision is the best one for all, just maybe the best for them. The same goes for a restaurant that doesn't agree with a patron, morally. They have the same right. If you refuse to sell/make something for someone you disagree with, then don't be surprised if certain people stop buying your product. My biggest problem is that some people look at the one situation and think that it's bad but then applaud the other. You vote with your wallet. If I don't agree with how someone runs their company, then I just won't buy their product. Supply and Demand or something like that. :lol: Both sides (extremes) are blinded by their own views and can't see the other viewpoint. Personally, I would have made the cake and served Sanders at the restaurant, but I also understand that each owner had the right to refuse to do so. 

Amen!

I am not opening a business to make a stance...I am opening a business to make dollars.

Can somebody explain what the issue is with Chick-fil-A? I guess I’m aware they are kind of a “Christian” beliefs organization and I know they are closed on Sundays but have they done something else that causes certain people to avoid them? I happen to really like their fried chicken sandwich and waffle fries. Get it fairly regularly. It doesn’t have anything to do with what they stand for etc., I just like them and around here it’s one of the few fast food places that can actually not F up your order.

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Can somebody explain what the issue is with Chick-fil-A? I guess I’m aware they are kind of a “Christian” beliefs organization and I know they are closed on Sundays but have they done something else that causes certain people to avoid them? I happen to really like their fried chicken sandwich and waffle fries. Get it fairly regularly. It doesn’t have anything to do with what they stand for etc., I just like them and around here it’s one of the few fast food places that can actually not F up your order.

The CEO thinks that being gay is a sin. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but I believe that is what started it. I also believe he said it 6 years ago, and it was his personal belief, not a business stance. I will say, as someone that lives in the ATL area and has many friends that work at the corporate office, they have many people working there from many different walks of life and religious beliefs. Not everyone that works for Chick-fil-a the corporation is a Christian.

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The ones around the ATL area are definitely way better than the ones that open up other places. When I go home to NE it's just not the same. The food is decent, but the service is what sets it apart.

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The family that owns the company in the past gave millions to dollars to anti-LGBT groups promoting Christian values, specifically working against same sex marriage. The founders son went on to make some comments about their values that ticket people off. They've pretty much backed off public stances on the matter since then & it appears the founders foundation stopped donating to the anti-LGBT groups.  You can read more about it here.

• Plus1 3
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

My dad is odd. Very often when we get to Omaha, he makes us swing by Popeye's and buy a box of gizzards. Don't know what his deal with them is. They don't have very many Popeye's in Iowa where they live though.

10 minutes ago, Day by Day said:

The CEO thinks that being gay is a sin. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but I believe that is what started it. I also believe he said it 6 years ago, and it was his personal belief, not a business stance. I will say, as someone that lives in the ATL area and has many friends that work at the corporate office, they have many people working there from many different walks of life and religious beliefs. Not everyone that works for Chick-fil-a the corporation is a Christian.

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

The family that owns the company in the past gave millions to dollars to anti-LGBT groups promoting Christian values, specifically working against same sex marriage. The founders son went on to make some comments about their values that ticket people off. They've pretty much backed off public stances on the matter since then & it appears the founders foundation stopped donating to the anti-LGBT groups.  You can read more about it here.

Thanks guys. I guess that does sound familiar now. I can see why people may feel compelled to not support that....and I suppose some want to support that. I just like their chicken and typically good service.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I loved Popeyes in college. Their spicy chicken and red beans and rice are awesome. 

• Plus1 1