Dont kill me for this, but....

20 hours ago, huskerinacaveman said:

I have never played a day of organized football. So those of you who have can blow up my whole idea....be easy on me.

The Cornhuskers' offense is more than likely going to put a lot of stress on the defense.  

The defense has been pointed in the "we are going to go for the ball".

Which is also going to tire out the defense.

Would it not be prudent to have a (think hockey) line of defense that goes out there for a series, and then another for the next series?

My line of thinking is the first line is if the Offense is going to run up and down the field, that's going to give a lot of extra reps to the defense to defend.

In a year that is obviously going be growing pains on defense but the players are all going to be a little closer together in what they are capable of doing within the scheme.  

After a year of getting the second line out there on a consistent basis should give them a much deeper depth in the years to come of you continue pushing it as a scheme.

The goal would be to have an offense that can score 35 or more or game which Scott Frost has demonstrated that his offense does, and have two squads that rotate based on how much time they've been given to rest between their last series.

Pretending that we can go without injuries, is there a specific reason why defense can not innovate this into a scheme?

Be gentle.

If the D can get that PPG down to under 13 for the year I don't care how they do it.

18 hours ago, husker98 said:

When you look at the chip Kelley coaching tree these guys typically field offenses that score quickly, and aggressive defenses that sometimes give up big points. They dig deep into their bench to keep guys fresh but even then by the end of the game you still have a gassed defense. I don't want to call it a high risk, high reward, style of play but it's definitely pushing that line and heavily strains the opposing team as it tries to keep up and in so doing makes mistakes all the more critical.

Uh oh