We don't keep pets in our house, and my wife and I generally think that people who do must be insane. But we are in the minority, and a lot of folks go to great lengths for their pets.

- A neighbor just bought a new house down the street and got a puppy for their children. The neighbors immediately started sharing stories about the puppy tearing up their new house, having trouble training it, etc. Within about a month, the dog developed a rare disease and died. So they got another dog. This creature insanely jumps on everyone and is uncontrollable, still tearing up their new house. And I never see the children walking it or taking care of it. Always the mom, every morning.

- A recent coworker of mine has a small dog who she refers to by her full name (dog's name plus the coworker's last name) in every conversation, takes the dog to a monthly hair salon appointment, is an otherwise intelligent and wonderful person who resorts to high-pitched giddy baby-talk whenever she talks about her dog.

- My brother had to move his family into an apartment for a few months when his new house was not quite completed and his prior house sold quicker than expected. However, they had trouble finding a place that would allow them to bring their dog, finally settling on a less than ideal, overpriced apartment with a hefty nonrefundable pet deposit. The second month in the apartment the dog ate a sock and died, after a few expensive surgeries. When their new house was finally finished, they adopted another dog. A large one, which immediately started scratching up the wood floors and tearing up furniture in their brand new, large, beautiful house.

- The local Facebook group in our town constantly has people talking about their dogs getting out or finding a lost dog wandering the neighborhood streets.

So what gives, dog people (or any sort of high maintenance pet)? Are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an animal that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

We don't keep pets in our house, and my wife and I generally think that people who do must be insane. But we are in the minority, and a lot of folks go to great lengths for their pets.

- A neighbor just bought a new house down the street and got a puppy for their children. The neighbors immediately started sharing stories about the puppy tearing up their new house, having trouble training it, etc. Within about a month, the dog developed a rare disease and died. So they got another dog. This creature insanely jumps on everyone and is uncontrollable, still tearing up their new house. And I never see the children walking it or taking care of it. Always the mom, every morning.

- A recent coworker of mine has a small dog who she refers to by her full name (dog's name plus the coworker's last name) in every conversation, takes the dog to a monthly hair salon appointment, is an otherwise intelligent and wonderful person who resorts to high-pitched giddy baby-talk whenever she talks about her dog.

- My brother had to move his family into an apartment for a few months when his new house was not quite completed and his prior house sold quicker than expected. However, they had trouble finding a place that would allow them to bring their dog, finally settling on a less than ideal, overpriced apartment with a hefty nonrefundable pet deposit. The second month in the apartment the dog ate a sock and died, after a few expensive surgeries. When their new house was finally finished, they adopted another dog. A large one, which immediately started scratching up the wood floors and tearing up furniture in their brand new, large, beautiful house.

- The local Facebook group in our town constantly has people talking about their dogs getting out or finding a lost dog wandering the neighborhood streets.

So what gives, dog people (or any sort of high maintenance pet)? Are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an animal that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

So, I guess you aren't a dog person?

• Plus1 4

It depends solely on the amount of attention and training the family is willing to give.  If the pet is treated like family but expected to behave, it's great.  If the pet is treates like a toy or like furniture, you can't really blame the dog for misbehaving.  We own 2 pure bred Pugs, they are family.

• Plus1 2

I think the stories you've pointed to are more related to the owners than the dogs (they only do their best to live up the the expectations we set with them).

• They are a lot of work, and I think often times people get that cute puppy before recognizing the comittment.
  • They are expensive, between vet visits, grooming, illness, food, kennels and extra costs for deposit and etc it's a long term investment more than just the purchase/adoption price.  People don't always consider that.
  • I guess I'd be curious as to whether your friends speaking of all the damage the dog is doing would in retrospect change their decision to get a dog - dog owners are no different than parents who post about what a PIA their kid is and then share pictures of their kid getting into messes - there are whole web pages dedicated to children writing on walls, spilling things, tv shows that make millions showing children racking their dads etc.

I am a dog person - I only own one of my own, but I love them all.  I didn't commit to her until I could afford to support her very nice lifestyle.  And yes she has a first, middle and last name.  And a standing hair appointment every 5 weeks.  She has a local dog walker, a day care a couple times a week and when I travel she goes to stay with a vet tech that she's been with since I got her.  I pay monthly for dog insurance, and that has helped us cover several unexpected surgeries.  I wouldn't change one thing, she is worth every bit of it, and I don't consider any of it a sacrifice.  She makes me happy, she gets my out and social and has improved my life in many ways - she is a great listener and my best little buddy.

So my question to you parents -   are you all nuts or what? Why do so many of you insist upon turning your lives upside down for an kid that is smelly, messy, and expensive? Is it just for companionship or am I missing something? Come at me.

• Plus1 1

We had dogs when the kids were growing up, so there was always someone around to pay attention to them. Its mostly just me here now and i'm gone a lot. I don't have the time to give a dog the attention it needs, so i went with cats. They require much less attention /work than a dog but are still good companions when im home.

• Plus1 1

There is never a time where my dog isn't ecstatic to see me. He is happy 24/7 and I feel this is good for us humans to be around them. Just better energy, always a friend to have around, go for runs/walks, throw the ball around, good around our kids etc. I honestly don't get how people don't love dogs

I like dogs but don't love them. But I haven't owned one yet and I will after my cats go to heaven. So they might grow on me like cats did.

Right now, the thing I don't love about dogs is how often they ask for attention. And I don't love that sometimes dogs love me immediately upon first meeting them. I feel like I should have to earn it by doing more than existing.

And the thing I love about cats is they don't give away their love nearly as freely as dogs do. I like how assholish cats can be. It makes me appreciate it more when they show affection. My oldest cat once stood up on the desk I was at while I was using my laptop, he looked at me, then knocked a full glass of water over with his paw onto my keyboard which destroyed it. I still love him.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I like dogs but don't love them. But I haven't owned one yet and I will after my cats go to heaven. So they might grow on me like cats did.

Right now, the thing I don't love about dogs is how often they ask for attention. And I don't love that sometimes dogs love me immediately upon first meeting them. I feel like I should have to earn it by doing more than existing.

And the thing I love about cats is they don't give away their love nearly as freely as dogs do. I like how assholish cats can be. It makes me appreciate it more when they show affection. My oldest cat once stood up on the desk I was at while I was using my laptop, he looked at me, then knocked a full glass of water over with his paw onto my keyboard which destroyed it. I still love him.

I had one who did that ALL the time.  I always had a 32 oz glass of iced tea at my ready and I can not count the number of times she knocked it over.   Thankfully it was unsweetened, or the whole place would have been a sticky mess.

as for dogs.  We have two, both good doggies in their own ways - wouldn't trade them for anything, even when they're naughty at times.  They aren't for everyone, but we love them.  And our geriatric kitties.  

It's simple, there are responsible and rational pet owners and then there are...uh...."others". We all know plenty from each group I suspect. I love dogs but we haven't had one for about 3-4 years because they do require a bit of work and upkeep. It is nice to be able to just go and not have to make provisions for the dog but most of time I miss having one.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm with the OP: pet owners are crazy. Best pet is the one that's at your house.

I completely agree with this. I do home repair and I can't count the times I've been at someones house who have dogs that are allowed to crap in the back yard and it is covered in land mines.   Then the same dog(s) after running through the same land mines will be let back in the house to run over the carpet.   I know a mid fifties couple who were single till they married 5 years ago.  They each had one cat when they married.  They now have 5 cats and 4 dogs....all rescue.  I was there about a week ago and the place smelled like a feed lot.  I will happily pet a well behaved dog or cat but have no intention of owning one.

• Plus1 1