On 3/5/2021 at 6:16 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Question for dog people. 

how do you feed your dogs?  We have always just kept food in the bowl and if they are hungry, it’s there. Free range. We have never had a problem with an obese dog. Now, we have an all inside dog for the first time and do the same thing. My daughter and her boyfriend have two dogs and they meticulously measure out the food in fear they will over eat and get fat. 

well, my wife started thinking ours was starting to gain a little weight so she thinks we need to do what they do, interestingly, when they feed their dogs they gobble it down as fast as they can. Even need the pans that slow them down. 

Well, when we put food out for ours now, she eats very slowly in small amounts. I really don’t think she eats any less. Sometimes, she won’t even touch it’s for quite a while. 

So, my theory is that if they start off as a pup always having food if they want, they learn to self regulate. 

thoughts?

My lab only ate twice a day.  I gave her 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the afternoon.  It took her about 30 seconds to clean the bowl.

We did this since she was a pup and didn't have any weight issues until she got older and less active.  

Our vet was the one who recommended it we do it this way.  She said labs are really bad at self regulating and will eat anything that is in front of them.  I can't imagine our dog would have ever walked away from a bowl that still had food in it. :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions about how to break a dog from chewing stuff up?  I've tried getting him chew toys.  But he chews them up.  

The new dog I got a few weeks ago (14 months old) is a chewer.  He's chewed up a great number of things, including: 

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • about a bunch of old golf balls (he actually chewed the covers off some),
  • set of plastic toy soldiers,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • chewed his rope in two, 
  • his leather leash,
  • about a hundred wood scraps (I don't mind these except they're bad for him),
  • rubber chew bone (I thought they were indestructible!),
  • several books in my office,
  • a bible and a book about Elisha (he's the devil dog!), 
  • the strap off my buddy's gym bag, 
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • a file folder with work papers in it,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • heavy wooden door stop,
  • several magazines,
  • a bunch of cardboard boxes,
  • wool sweater,
  • an empty can of Van Camp pork and beans (he actually punctured the can in several places!  Sure glad he doesn't bite.),
  • two shoes (from different pairs),
  • a phone book (why do they still deliver these anyway?),
  • chewed the corner off a dehumidifier,
  • a Sharpie marker,
  • assorted misc. trash that he pulls out of the waste basket,
  • four reams of printer paper (500 sheets per ream),
  • fancy U.S. flag with gold fringe around the edge (I caught him as he was starting to chew this and saved it.),
  • small notepad of scratch paper,
  • plastic template for drawing lines on golf balls, and another small Sharpie marker, 
  • the lid on a bucket of golf balls, and another half dozen golf balls,
  • a book about the human brain,
  • chewed the corners off two more books:  Golf Rules Explained and The Layman's Bible Encyclopedia, 
  • another phone book (they put another one through the mail slot!),
  • a small children's recliner chair, 
  • a plastic bucket,
  • a pot full of flowers I'd planted 45 minutes before, 
  • a shoe insert, 
  • some more golf balls,
  • an 18" child's rubber ball (the ball was 18", not the child), 
  • a clear plastic box,
  • etc.       

I have a lot of patience with animals.  But I think he's approaching the end of it.  :)  

Edit:  I'll keep updating this list.  Since I imagine this will be an ongoing situation.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, NUance said:

Any suggestions about how to break a dog from chewing stuff up?  I've tried getting him chew toys.  But he chews them up.  

The new dog I got a few weeks ago (14 months old) is a chewer.  He's chewed up a great number of things, including: 

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • his leather leash,
  • a bible (he's the devil dog!), 
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • several magazines,
  • wool sweater,
  • an empty can of Van Camp pork and beans (he actually punctured the can in several places!  Sure glad he doesn't bite.)
  • etc.       

I have a lot of patience with animals.  But I think he's approaching the end of it.  :)

Sounds like a "ruff" situation. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, NUance said:

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • his leather leash,
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • several magazines,
  • wool sweater,
  • an empty can of Van Camp pork and beans (he actually punctured the can in several places!  Sure glad he doesn't bite.)
  • etc.       

Is this only when you leave him or is he just seeking out stuff when you're home too? 

Our dog was a bit older when we got him (7 months or so) but he would chew up random stuff when we left the house. The best thing we did was kennel-training him. He got a treat for going in and a treat when we came home if he was good in the kennel. He did tear up his kennel mat once, but he didn't get a treat that day. We also got a cheap security camera that we could see him and talk to him with. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, GSG said:

Is this only when you leave him or is he just seeking out stuff when you're home too? 

Both.  It's mostly when I'm not right there with him.  Yesterday afternoon I was smoking a cigar with a couple buddies on the back balcony at work.  When we came inside he had chewed the strap off my buddy's gym bag.  He'll chew stuff 10 feet away from me if I'm not paying attention to him.  

Our dog was a bit older when we got him (7 months or so) but he would chew up random stuff when we left the house. The best thing we did was kennel-training him. He got a treat for going in and a treat when we came home if he was good in the kennel. He did tear up his kennel mat once, but he didn't get a treat that day. We also got a cheap security camera that we could see him and talk to him with.

He's 14 months old now.  So, not really a puppy anymore.  More like a naughty teenager.   I hope he outgrows it. 

I do have a large kennel, but I'm reluctant to put him in it.  I may have to resort to it at some point.  

1 hour ago, NUance said:

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • his leather leash,
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • several magazines,
  • wool sweater,
  • an empty can of Van Camp pork and beans (he actually punctured the can in several places!  Sure glad he doesn't bite.),
  • etc.       

It can be very frustrating.  Is he a Lab?  They tend to be horrible at chewing, but usually grow out of it.

What if you limited him to what he has access to.  Put some things around him that he would typically chew up and spray the heck out of them with this.  Then, once he realizes it's no fun chewing those items up because they taste so bad, slowly give him access to more stuff that you have sprayed.

I know years ago we had a lab mix that was bad.  I was even able to spray furniture with this and it didn't damage it.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/training-and-behavior/deterrents/vet-worthy-bitter-spray-62496.html?cgid=100260

Another thing that is probably causing it is being bored.  Is there something else you can occupy his mind with?

Also, I've gotten a lot from watching this guy's videos.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, NUance said:

Both.  It's mostly when I'm not right there with him.  Yesterday afternoon I was smoking a cigar with a couple buddies on the back balcony at work.  When we came inside he had chewed the strap off my buddy's gym bag.  He'll chew stuff 10 feet away from me if I'm not paying attention to him.  

He's 14 months old now.  So, not really a puppy anymore.  More like a naughty teenager.   I hope he outgrows it. 

I do have a large kennel, but I'm reluctant to put him in it.  I may have to resort to it at some point.  

Where do you work that you have an office, can bring dogs and smoke cigars???

Are they hiring?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NUance said:

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • his leather leash,
  • a bible and a book about Elisha (he's the devil dog!), 
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • several magazines,
  • wool sweater,
  • chewed the corner off a dehumidifier,
  • etc.       

Edit:  I'll keep updating this list.  Since I imagine this will be an ongoing situation.  

It could be boredom and/or attention seeking or typical puppy stuff.

When I was into obedience training dogs, a lot of the chewing problems (other dogs) was a sign they were missing something in their diet. Maybe try some different dog food. Also, apple bitter spray is a safe deterrent but you have to know what to spray it on. From the looks of your list you might need to buy it by the barrel. :lol:  

The training I learned and did with 3 different dogs was highly effective but not as touchy feely as what many propose. I used a choke chain for healing, sitting, down and stay. I never felt it was cruel at all. They really only hit the end of that chain hard the first few times before they learn to pay attention. Anyway, for off leash behavior problems like chewing and digging, we used a throw chain. You would hide and when the dog did something they weren't supposed to, you'd throw the chain at them without letting them know it was you throwing it. Kind of tricky but seemed to work. My dogs didn't have many behavioral problems so not sure how well it would work on a hard case. BTW, the chain was just a little more than the typical choke chain, a little more compact so you could control the throw. It wouldn't hurt them but it would get their attention in a hurry. I've often wondered if an air soft rifle would achieve the same result but probably not a good look aiming and shooting at your dog.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It could be boredom and/or attention seeking or typical puppy stuff.

When I was into obedience training dogs, a lot of the chewing problems (other dogs) was a sign they were missing something in their diet. Maybe try some different dog food. Also, apple bitter spray is a safe deterrent but you have to know what to spray it on. From the looks of your list you might need to buy it by the barrel. :lol:  

The training I learned and did with 3 different dogs was highly effective but not as touchy feely as what many propose. I used a choke chain for healing, sitting, down and stay. I never felt it was cruel at all. They really only hit the end of that chain hard the first few times before they learn to pay attention. Anyway, for off leash behavior problems like chewing and digging, we used a throw chain. You would hide and when the dog did something they weren't supposed to, you'd throw the chain at them without letting them know it was you throwing it. Kind of tricky but seemed to work. My dogs didn't have many behavioral problems so not sure how well it would work on a hard case. BTW, the chain was just a little more than the typical choke chain, a little more compact so you could control the throw. It wouldn't hurt them but it would get their attention in a hurry. I've often wondered if an air soft rifle would achieve the same result but probably not a good look aiming and shooting at your dog.

For something similar, a shock collar works.  Set it on a very low setting at first.  Many come with a beeping, so you beep first, then if they don't listen, give them a small bump.  After a while, they learn if they hear the beeping to stop doing what they aren't supposed to do.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It can be very frustrating.  Is he a Lab?  They tend to be horrible at chewing, but usually grow out of it.

What if you limited him to what he has access to.  Put some things around him that he would typically chew up and spray the heck out of them with this.  Then, once he realizes it's no fun chewing those items up because they taste so bad, slowly give him access to more stuff that you have sprayed.

I know years ago we had a lab mix that was bad.  I was even able to spray furniture with this and it didn't damage it.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/training-and-behavior/deterrents/vet-worthy-bitter-spray-62496.html?cgid=100260

The Human Society told me he's a terrier mix.  About half that mix is pit bull.  (I didn't want any part of getting a pit bull.  The Humane Society didn't tell me until I'd already picked him out and was in the process of getting him.)  

Another thing that is probably causing it is being bored.  Is there something else you can occupy his mind with?

It might be from being bored, sometimes a bit jealous.  He's with me most of the time during the day.  I'm self employed so I bring him to work with me.  He's sleeping on the couch five feet from my desk right now.  Sometimes he'll start chewing on something if I'm ten feet away but not paying attention to him.  

btw, He looks a lot like the brindle dog in the video you posted.  A lot! 

12 minutes ago, NUance said:

It might be from being bored, sometimes a bit jealous.  He's with me most of the time during the day.  I'm self employed so I bring him to work with me.  He's sleeping on the couch five feet from my desk right now.  Sometimes he'll start chewing on something if I'm ten feet away but not paying attention to him.  

btw, He looks a lot like the brindle dog in the video you posted.  A lot! 

Then he's a pretty cool looking dog.

If he is with you almost all the time, I would think the shock collar would work very well.  Sure, sometimes you're not paying attention and he gets something.  But, if you have him in your site most of the time, you could even be on the phone and beep then bump him if he starts chewing on something.  

Then, have a bunch of the chew toys in the video available.

You could even reward him if you see him think about chewing on something and then he leaves it alone by giving him a treat.  Positive reenforcement is always preferred.  The collar would only be used to make him realize something is off limits.

• Plus1 1

@NUance for what it's worth, there is nothing wrong with Pit Bulls as pets, other than misguided people and stupid local ordinances. Any dog will be as good or as bad as it's owner teaches it to be. Unfortunately a lot of people with Pit Bulls are sh#tty humans and shouldn't be allowed to have any pets. In the right home they are no more dangerous than a Dachshund.

• Plus1 3