8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

@NUance for what it's worth, there is nothing wrong with Pit Bulls as pets, other than misguided people and stupid local ordinances. Any dog will be as good or as bad as it's owner teaches it to be. Unfortunately a lot of people with Pit Bulls are sh#tty humans and shouldn't be allowed to have any pets. In the right home they are no more dangerous than a Dachshund.

I agree with this now.  Initially I was a bit reluctant to get him.  But he's turned out to be very friendly; not a bit aggressive at all.  Even friendly to the cat.  Well, except he's not friendly to squirrels.  Squirrels are the bane of his existence.  He hates them.  Every time we get home he spends a couple minutes running around the back yard chasing the squirrels up into the trees.  I look forward to the day he finally catches one.      

11 minutes ago, NUance said:

I agree with this now.  Initially I was a bit reluctant to get him.  But he's turned out to be very friendly; not a bit aggressive at all.  Even friendly to the cat.  Well, except he's not friendly to squirrels.  Squirrels are the bane of his existence.  He hates them.  Every time we get home he spends a couple minutes running around the back yard chasing the squirrels up into the trees.  I look forward to the day he finally catches one.      

Just don’t play the tug game with him and they’re shouldn’t be any problems. I used to think it was fun to play with dogs tugging on a sock or rope or whatnot but that just reinforces some bad behaviors and is something I’d definitely avoid with a Pit Bull or PB mix.

Squirrels were the bane of my Basset Hounds existence too but only because they would toy with her. She wasn’t blazing fast or aggressive and really wouldn’t even chase them. But when they were in the trees she would bark at them. They would chatter back and throw acorns and stuff at her from the tree. It was fun to watch but she got to the point where she would just avoid them at all costs because they always got the best of her.

• Plus1 1
On 4/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, NUance said:

Any suggestions about how to break a dog from chewing stuff up?  I've tried getting him chew toys.  But he chews them up.  

The new dog I got a few weeks ago (14 months old) is a chewer.  He's chewed up a great number of things, including: 

• a volleyball,
  • a softball,
  • a tennis ball,
  • about a bunch of old golf balls (he actually chewed the covers off some),
  • set of plastic toy soldiers,
  • several matchbox cars,
  • chewed his rope in two, 
  • his leather leash,
  • about a hundred wood scraps (I don't mind these except they're bad for him),
  • rubber chew bone (I thought they were indestructible!),
  • several books in my office,
  • a bible and a book about Elisha (he's the devil dog!), 
  • the strap off my buddy's gym bag, 
  • a paint bucket,
  • the corner of a chair,
  • a file folder with work papers in it,
  • roll of paper towels,
  • several news papers, 
  • ink pen,
  • my reading glasses,
  • heavy wooden door stop,
  • several magazines,
  • a bunch of cardboard boxes,
  • wool sweater,
  • an empty can of Van Camp pork and beans (he actually punctured the can in several places!  Sure glad he doesn't bite.),
  • two shoes (from different pairs),
  • a phone book (why do they still deliver these anyway?),
  • chewed the corner off a dehumidifier,
  • a Sharpie marker,
  • assorted misc. trash that he pulls out of the waste basket,
  • four reams of printer paper (500 sheets per ream),
  • fancy U.S. flag with gold fringe around the edge (I caught him as he was starting to chew this and saved it.),
  • small notepad of scratch paper,
  • plastic template for drawing lines on golf balls, and another small Sharpie marker, 
  • the lid on a bucket of golf balls, and another half dozen golf balls,
  • a book about the human brain,
  • chewed the corners off two more books:  Golf Rules Explained and The Layman's Bible Encyclopedia, 
  • etc.       

I have a lot of patience with animals.  But I think he's approaching the end of it.  :)  

Edit:  I'll keep updating this list.  Since I imagine this will be an ongoing situation.  

Interested in knowing how this is going.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interested in knowing how this is going.

He's slowly getting better.  Still chews some stuff up.  But not like it was when I first got him.  I think he's finally figured out that chewing up wood scraps isn't a good idea.  

• 4 months later...

Who does not like animals can not understand why people choose to buy or adopt a dog and keep it in his house. Dogs make your life more beautiful if you don't have children yet. It's a way to train before you have your kids because they have almost the same needs. To wash them, to feed them, and for a responsible parent to look for the best services for him. I have a Labrador; his name is Ares. Whatever happens to him, I'm responsible. And this responsibility comes with a set of decisions. Now I am looking for pet insurance, and I have read on https://www.petinsurancereview.com/ more reviews. Who do you trust the most?

• 10 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:48 AM, Halissi said:

My dog also stopped chewing everything that he could reach, after a food poisoning and an unpleasant vet visit for him.

Learning through mistakes. When you touch the fire and it burns, you don't wanna do it the second time. That's the case not only for humans, but for animals as well. Once they get hurt once, but doing something wrong, it won't happen again usually. My emotional support animal thought me a lot of things, or better said, I realized a lot of things thanks to him. Sometimes all you need to be happy is a little friend jumping around all day and playing with you. Now it's very to register your emotional support animal on esaregistration.org, just a few clicks and everything is done.