Well this isn’t going to end well...

I wonder if he thought that by deleting his account, his answers would all be deleted, too. 

Now that s-show is going to live on forever.  He'd have been better off going through and axing each answer before axing his account.

Every time I see pleas for people to buy a subscription for the OWH, I think of Lee Barfknecht and the contemptuous manner in which he interacts with his customers. And I think, "Nah."

• Plus1 5

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

When given an opportunity to explain his decision, he resorts to a logical fallacy.  And this is a guy who was once (or still is?) the president of the Football Writers Association.

Nothing about Lee has ever made me think he's anything other than a stuffed shirt.  And when given any opportunity to dispel that view, he reaffirms it.  Every time.

Dad..is that you?

4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Yeah, I agree with that take.  At the same time, I don't know if it's a McKewon thing or a local paper guy take.  I follow the Mariners religiously and their writer, Ryan Divish comes across the exact same way, especially on Twitter.  It makes sense through their lens as their industry is in serious decline and frankly it's a tough industry in terms of transferring to do something else.  I would guess it's either do this or go teach somewhere if you want to say in the industry.  The space is incredibly crowded and super competitive.  Now, if I were in his shoes would I choose to come across like a smug know-it-all?  No, because people buy from people they like (Sales 101).  But, I understand why he would feel threatened.

As for Lee, he's just washed.  Ain't no changing him lol.

When he said he isn’t necessarily a fan (of the mariners) it changed my perspective on him and beat writers. I understand they aren’t all fans of the teams the work for, but the main people who follow these guys/girls are fans of the fans and it makes little sense to alienate your followers via snark - a small faction of fans totally deserve it though. I enjoy the John Clayton’s of the world. 

15 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

When he said he isn’t necessarily a fan (of the mariners) it changed my perspective on him and beat writers. I understand they aren’t all fans of the teams the work for, but the main people who follow these guys/girls are fans of the fans and it makes little sense to alienate your followers via snark - a small faction of fans totally deserve it though. I enjoy the John Clayton’s of the world. 

Yeah Clayton is fantastic.  I will always give baseball beat writers a pass for wanting games to get over quickly though.  4 hour baseball games are torture.  I dunno, I might be going through some small sample size bias because I got caught up on the Extra Innings podcast Divish does with Larry Stone and in all 3 episodes I listened to, Divish came across like a whiner.  I will say this, he does throw some good snark when someone gets overly idiotic especially when it comes to personal attacks on him.

fanofmets: (Husker fan)  Had a second not been put back on the clock in 2009, how different do you think Bo would be viewed and how much longer of a leash do you think it would've given him?

Lee:  Play better. Don't leave yourself in position to get beat by a call or clock decision.

Answer the question you cuck.

1 hour ago, ADS said:

Stop using that word.

How the hell did it become a putdown? Anyone can get cheated on no matter how hairy their chest is or how loud they can grunt or how little they cry when watching sad movies or how powerful their farts are. It shouldn't be used as a putdown. Men who get cheated on aren't less manly or lesser men.

Furthermore, how is it uncuck like to answer a tough question? Are men not cheated on more likely to be able to do that than women, or men who have been cheated on? That makes no sense.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

THE AMA IS DEFINITELY OVER:

D7CkZ4j.jpg?1

50 minutes ago, ADS said:

fanofmets: (Husker fan)  Had a second not been put back on the clock in 2009, how different do you think Bo would be viewed and how much longer of a leash do you think it would've given him?

Lee:  Play better. Don't leave yourself in position to get beat by a call or clock decision.

I would say the fact that his Reddit account was MMF means he’s a sharer not a cuck.

(There’s nothing inherently wrong with being either. Using “cuck” as a derogatory term says more about the person using it than the subject).

• Plus1 1

Lee is like the guy or girl you meet up with for drinks from tinder or bumble who has average looks so you give it a shot anyway and when you get there you realize their personality doesn’t make up the difference to even throw out the “let’s try going out again sometime soon” line as a pleasantry even though shortly into the date you had no intentions of future plans. 

This is hilarious on a very personal level. 

I worked for Journal Broadcast Group (Z-92, etc) during the entirety of the 90's. And free tickets to Husker football (and other sports) flowed through those studios like a never ending river. Any given Saturday, we must have had 25-30 pairs of tickets for anyone on staff, for free, and in the best sections of the stadium. And skybox space through various sources, including the university. I highly doubt he was buying his own ticket.

I watched nearly all the home games in 94 and 95 for free. All I had to do was get my ass outta bed and drive down to Lincoln. We even got free parking.

There were some weeks when the tickets were so numerous that our bosses would leave them on the break room table so any employee could give them to friends or family. Those were the best days. And I had no idea what a dynasty we were in or I would have used them even more than I did.

I have a feeling that Lee thinks more of himself than is at all merited.

• Plus1 5

So let's examine how colossally dumb it was to have Lee "YOU'RE BLOCKED ON THE TWITTER!!!!" Barfknecht do that AMA.  The OWH has nothing but resources, and access to some of the best sports people covering Husker sports.

They could have used:

Sam McKewon - 10x a better writer, and while sometimes full of himself, really a personable dude

Dirk Chatelain - a pot-stirrer, let's not mix words. But a 12x better writer than Lee, and a person who genuinely listens to and understands the fans. For all the times I give DC crap, the man is aces and we're lucky to have him.

Jon Nyatawa - yeah, he mostly focuses on Creighton sports now, but he's 1,000x better at the social media aspect of all of this than Lee. Even if he hasn't read an Em of news about the Huskers in five years, he'd still have been a 1,000x better ambassador for the OWH than Lee.

Jeff Sheldon - Jeff focuses mostly on Husker volleyball, but he's knowledgeable, personable, engaging, a great writer, and genuinely seems to care about the people he's writing for. Football isn't even his milieu and he could have answered every single one of those questions so much better than this s-show of an AMA.

Give me a Rich Kaipust, give me an Evan Bland.  Those guys would have run circles around Lee in this. 

I don't know why Lee was chosen for this. If it was the OWH offering him, Reddit/CFB asking him, or how this happened, but here's the thing.  We're uniquely blessed, I think - spoiled, even - over the sports coverage we have of our favorite team.  From the World Herald to the JournalStar to amazing publications like Hail Varsity and the various websites like HuskerBoard and HuskerMax and all the bloggers and radio stations like 93.7 The Ticket & 1620 The Zone, we have a massive amount of talent covering the Huskers here.

And they got the least capable of all the bunch to do that AMA. 

Just bizarre.

• Plus1 6