Need advice about a job

14 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I get what you're saying, but I think (and I could absolutely be wrong) the owner of this business is the real villain here.  I think she jumped the gun and offered a position, probably based on acquiring some new lucrative deal, and the deal fell through.  When the deal fell through, she told the HR person to find a way to cancel the hire.  That is why the HR person took days to get back to @sho...the HR person needed time to come up with an excuse.  When HR person decided to use the transcripts being "possibly faked" that was when HR person called Sho back and informed him of the rescinded offer.  Again, I have no idea what really happened here, but I have been around long enough to know how the world works.

And @sho...I don't have any practical advice for you, but I did want to express my condolences because I know what you're going through.  I hope things work out for you.

Now this makes sense - total of 3 new employees in a start up.  I can see this happening

On 7/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, Cdog923 said:

May I ask, what line of work are you in? 

Accounting.  So I should be able to find something quick, just frustrated because I quit a job I wasn't really looking to leave to start with a 'newish' company that is the result of a merger of two companies that were offering some really great benefits (free catered lunch daily, unlimited vacation, super casual work environment and a few other perks that most places won't have) and had a really good pay rate.   Probably, as my fiance says, it was too good to be true and won't be around too long, but I wanted to ride that wave as long as I could.

10 minutes ago, sho said:

Accounting.  So I should be able to find something quick, just frustrated because I quit a job I wasn't really looking to leave to start with a 'newish' company that is the result of a merger of two companies that were offering some really great benefits (free catered lunch daily, unlimited vacation, super casual work environment and a few other perks that most places won't have) and had a really good pay rate.   Probably, as my fiance says, it was too good to be true and won't be around too long, but I wanted to ride that wave as long as I could.

So in your current situation, you basically have unlimited vacation as it is, eh? (bad joke, too soon, sorry)

Seriously though, this sucks. You said it was a former boss who recruited you to the position? I would be pissed with her. I mean, if you called me for the job and you already know me, but then you say you can't verify this basic info? Bad form, bad leadership. Too many red flags to even want this job, but it sucks that you already quit the prior gig. 

In hindsight, don't leave a job until you have the next gig already lined up, with the terms, start date, etc written in blood.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

In hindsight, don't leave a job until you have the next gig already lined up, with the terms, start date, etc written in blood.

I basically did, had a signed offer letter and start date, pending my background check.  I've had this degree for 20 years, have had multiple jobs in those 20 years and never had an issue.  So either those other companies took my word for my degree or this new company has an awful third party doing the background check.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, sho said:

I basically did, had a signed offer letter and start date, pending my background check.  I've had this degree for 20 years, have had multiple jobs in those 20 years and never had an issue.  So either those other companies took my word for my degree or this new company has an awful third party doing the background check.

Sounds like the latter, unfortunately. I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if there is any sort of legal remedy to being screwed in this sort of situation? If their stated reasons for withdrawing the job offer if a false accusation of faking your credentials, this is more than an unfortunate oops, and it has caused you a legitimate hardship.