Fall Camp

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

You basing this off of Mike Riley talking him up? I remember the great General Lee and POB! 

Well, since they didn't push to get Vedral qualified for this season, you have to think that the coaches are pretty content with what we can put on the field at QB.  I would probably say that we actually have a 1a and 1b (and possibly a 1c). 

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

OK.  But we also have seen them both run the offense to some extent.  So we do have actual QB play to base opinions off of.

I agree with you Mavric.  Both QBs did well at the Spring Game, but Martinez showed a burst and an extra gear that none of the other QBs have, and he could be the first dual threat QB has had in a long time that can run the ball but also pass the ball well.  Martinez and Armstrong were both great athletes but struggled in the passing game, and Lee had some nice mechanics but really struggled with INTs and could not run the ball at all. The one thing we have not seen from any of the QBs is judgment and the ability to make sound fast decisions under pressure in a real-game atmosphere.  In my mind this would be the only thing keeping Martinez from starting at this point as Gebbia seems cool as a cucumber.  But my vote is still on Martinez as the starter, as it was back in March a month before the Spring game.

I still wonder if Gebbia could end up getting the start over Martinez simply because he fits with the strengths of his teammates better. A lot of people think Gebbia is a better passer and Martinez is a better runner, right? Well, it's safe to say that the O-line was better at pass blocking than run blocking last year, and I while I'm sure they'll be better at it this year, they could still be a bit uneven there. And though we're doing a ton of speculation about RBs, I think we know with a greater degree of certainty that the WRs should be a strength of this offense this year. All of that could work in Gebbia's favor this year.

5 hours ago, theknife said:

Right? Most people feel like Marlon Lucky never lived up to his hype, but they forget the 2007 season. 

To be fair, everyone wants to forget the 2007 season.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Toe said:

I still wonder if Gebbia could end up getting the start over Martinez simply because he fits with the strengths of his teammates better. A lot of people think Gebbia is a better passer and Martinez is a better runner, right? Well, it's safe to say that the O-line was better at pass blocking than run blocking last year, and I while I'm sure they'll be better at it this year, they could still be a bit uneven there. And though we're doing a ton of speculation about RBs, I think we know with a greater degree of certainty that the WRs should be a strength of this offense this year. All of that could work in Gebbia's favor this year.

Gebbia being a better passer seems to be an assumption based mostly off of his strengths in high school, and maybe a little off the spring game, and the fact Martinez is considered a dual threat QB. We've never really had a dual threat QB who could throw the ball well.

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

So apparently you're secretly one of the coaches, since you have all this inside information about Martinez being so much better than Gebbia? :dunno

Um what is going on in this topic? Did you quote the wrong post? BRB has been saying we don't have enough information to go on.

I think, and I'm only guessing here, that another part of why people think Martinez wins the job is because Gebbia didn't beat out Lee and POB was Lee's backup. So he didn't win the job in an offense that played to his strengths, and how he's trying to win the job in an offense that probably isn't ideal for him. On the other hand they may have just been saving his redshirt last year.

• Plus1 2

@Moiraine I think another factor is that a lot of fans want Martinez not necessarily because he's a better overall QB, but because he better matches their mental image of what a Nebraska QB should look like, ie a guy that can run it. Some (understandable) anti-Riley bias is probably in play here as well.

• Plus1 4

49 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Moiraine I think another factor is that a lot of fans want Martinez not necessarily because he's a better overall QB, but because he better matches their mental image of what a Nebraska QB should look like, ie a guy that can run it. Some (understandable) anti-Riley bias is probably in play here as well.

I am basing my thinking that AM will be the starter based on what HCSF has said.  1) That Martinez was, in his opinion, the best QB coming out of high school last year.  And 2) Frost really recruited AM hard.  

I am not saying AM was guaranteed the #1 spot at all.  I'm just saying when the head coach tells the press that a kid he recruited is, in his opinion, the best guy nationally at his position, that means something.  

I think Gebbia and Bunch would be okay as starters.  I don't think they'd stink it up, but Martinez is the show.  He's entering his true freshman season and he's already been compared to Marcus Mariota.  If AM is actually as good as Mariota, there is no way he's not the #1 QB by the time the Akron game rolls around.

I still think whoever has a better grasp on the offense and playbook wins the job. Frost has said this before, and we all have hear that Gebbia has been a film junkie since day 1. We have no idea if Martinez is or isn't, if I was going to bet, I think Gebbia starts week 1, but we see a lot of both Qb's and then as the season goes on whoever plays better gets the nod. But it wouldn't surprise me if this QB race goes fairly deep into the season, if not all season.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Toe said:

It is good to be mobile in this offense, but it's still a pass first offense.  

The coaches have said repeatedly the #1 attribute they're looking for is quick thinking.

I'm willing to take them at their word here.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Toe said:

I agree with this.......

it it makes no sense to put all these weapons on the field if you can’t use them.  No doubt mobility is a factor but they need to deliver the ball and minimize mistakes.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

But it wouldn't surprise me if this QB race goes fairly deep into the season, if not all season.

I very much would be surprised. Frost said he wants to name a guy a week out. Trying to play 2 QBs or always second guessing if you have the right QB is messy. The players hate it, they'd rather know where they stand. Nobody wants to constantly field questions about it.  You can't be an effective decision maker constantly looking over your shoulder.