1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The meme was because comparing Rocket/Groot to that goat is a silly comparison, unless that goat is somehow a central and charismatic character in the plot of what's supposed to be a satirical comedy superhero movie, but I'd be willing to bet Aquaman (and the goat) is... not that. The fact that the meme came from a Batman movie is coincidental - I was either going to go with that or a Futurama meme. :lol:

And it wasn't just three seconds of the trailer - I said "there's very little about that movie (in particular, that scene)." Perhaps I could've been more clear by saying trailer and not movie.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for DC to stop obliterating these movies. Wonder Woman has been the only real installment worth note up to this point, in my opinion, and even it dropped the ball in a pretty big way.

I wasn’t comparing Rocket/Groot to the goat, rather the absurd nature of the clip and super hero movies in general. 

I would be too. Their track record has been pretty terrible, but I’m willing to give the movie a chance. 

You guys make me laugh...:lol:

Going to see a superhero/comic book movie and wanting a good plot is like looking at an issue of Playboy and reading the articles.

Superhero movies based on comic books are supposed to be crazy, have "ex-machina" moments and generally unbelievable/unrealistic things happen...that's literally comic book s.o.p.  So why should the movies be any different?

All I am saying really is: If you go into these movies and take them too seriously, you're missing the point/fun.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Going to see a superhero/comic book movie and wanting a good plot is like looking at an issue of Playboy and reading the articles.

Superhero movies based on comic books are supposed to be crazy, have "ex-machina" moments and generally unbelievable/unrealistic things happen...that's literally comic book s.o.p.  So why should the movies be any different?

All I am saying really is: If you go into these movies and take them too seriously, you're missing the point/fun.

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Captain America: Winter Solder and Black Panther disagree with you. Hell, 3/4 of the MCU disagrees with you. 

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The plot can still be coherent. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

giphy.gif

We've seen plenty of successful comic book/hero movies in the last decade or so that successfully blend entertainment and story. Nobody is expecting them to compete for Oscars, but there's a certain level of coherence we can and should expect based on recent standards.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I guess I just have different expectations than everyone else.  I go to movies to be entertained--that's really all I care about.  Great plots, characters, motivations, themes, etc...those are all just icing on the proverbial cake.   

:dunno

I am personally much more entertained when movies have good writing, good story structure, and honor the medium with a commitment to excellence.

• Plus1 2

On 7/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, The Dude said:

I dunno, I just don't think every peripheral comic book super hero needs their own movie.

This was literally the plot to "Teen Titans GO to the Movies". They even gave Batman's utility belt, the Batmobile, and Alfred their own movies. 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, Ulty said:

Doesn't look good to me at all. DC has really fallen short in putting their universe on the screen compared to Marvel. I grew up knowing only DC characters, reading Superman and Batman comics and watching Superfriends on Saturday morning. Aquaman always seemed like a lame character. They can't make a decent Superman or Green Lantern movie, how is Aquaman supposed to be a convincing hero?

Image result for aquaman super friends

Image result for aquaman sucks

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

I've never seen anyone pull out the "I go to movies to be entertained" in reference to a good movie.

In addition, I think we can separate 'entertainment' value from other variables that determine a movie's quality. I think many of us can think of movies we find entertaining and enjoy watching but will readily admit they're not very good movies in other ways (plot, writing, editing, etc.).

In regards to @Making Chimichangas's follow up post, it's perfectly fine to judge movies based on different criteria. I only draw issue with treating good filmmaking and super hero movies as mutually exclusive variables, particularly when we've seen these two elements come together and produce very good films.

• Plus1 1