Ron Brown Returns to Nebraska as Director of Player Development

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Kugler is conveniently forgetting that the issue people have with this hire is directly related to something Brown unnecessarily, proactively did that could have harmed his employer and (in a lot of places) would have gotten him summarily fired. 

Josh isn't saying that coaches can't have opinions, even radical opinions, on religion and politics. The (obviously) huge problem with Brown is that he cloaked himself in Husker Red to promote his opinion. 

This is an inherently disingenuous line of questions by Kugler. He knows what the problem is. He's a smart dude.

He is; I don't know if he's being disingenuous as much as he's trying to get Josh to admit whether his real problem is Brown's viewpoints, or that he essentially used UNL as a bully pulpit to espouse those views. 

Well, i would just hope that Frost holds Brown to the same standard as he does recruits, in that they will be dropped if there are any negative remarks on social media about race/sexuality/women/guns, etc.  Putting all that aside, I think he was a great coach, and hopefully this hire pans out and that he has become wiser in terms of what to say, when, and where.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Oh great, I really care what Josh Peterson thinks.  Give me a break.

....which is perfectly fine, as long as you can see that there is a certain percentage of the fanbase that will be bothered by this hire. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Well, i would just hope that Frost holds Brown to the same standard as he does recruits, in that they will be dropped if there are any negative remarks on social media about race/sexuality/women/guns, etc.  Putting all that aside, I think he was a great coach, and hopefully this hire pans out and that he has become wiser in terms of what to say, when, and where.

Good point, and I have no reason to doubt Frost will. I also think there's a .01% chance Brown does anything to embarrass the school again, so the discussion of concerns is largely academic. 

• Plus1 4

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Kugler is conveniently forgetting that the issue people have with this hire is directly related to something Brown unnecessarily, proactively did that could have harmed his employer and (in a lot of places) would have gotten him summarily fired. 

Josh isn't saying that coaches can't have opinions, even radical opinions, on religion and politics. The (obviously) huge problem with Brown is that he cloaked himself in Husker Red to promote his opinion. 

This is an inherently disingenuous line of questions by Kugler. He knows what the problem is. He's a smart dude.

You are exaggerating what he did, probably because it is more convenient to argue against him doing that than to say you don't think he should have done anything in the first place.

• Plus1 8
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You are exaggerating what he did, probably because it is more convenient to argue against him doing that than to say you don't think he should have done anything in the first place.

Exaggerating what who did? Ron Brown?

I accurately described it.  What do you think I exaggerated?

• Plus1 2

I think Ron Brown would put aside his personal beliefs to assist anyone on the team, as evidenced here:

"I have and will embrace every player I coach, gay or straight ... but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls sin," [Brown] wrote.

That said, I believe his stance on LGBT community members personifies contradiction. Will it make some players uncomfortable? I'm not sure. It's very possible that those players would not seek out his guidance.

• Plus1 3