Ron Brown Returns to Nebraska as Director of Player Development

3 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

By making this statement you show how much you do not know about the Bible.

It kills me that people want Christians to "check their baggage" at the door or to shut up at work or in public. I don't mind that people disagree because it is part of our God given freedoms articulated in the Constitution.  I find it pitiful that there is no tolerance for the 10's of millions of guys like Ron Brown. I'm sure he would not tell you how much he would "love to tell you where to put your selective tolerance". 

Keeping in mind that Ron Brown wants to tell tens of millions of people who they are legally allowed to love, based on the Bible, and that they will be burning in hell regardless.

Pretty odd to see Ron Brown as the victim here. 

And it's not that people tried to shut him up. Ron Brown spoke his mind, and that's how we got our opinion of him. 

Then Ron found a good home for his selective tolerance: Liberty University.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This is a disingenuous and gross misrepresentation of the conversation in this thread.

No, it is spot on.  The only reason RB is being attacked is for his adherence to the God of the Bible.  The argument is always the same and their ignorance of Scripture such as Leviticus 19:27 is never researched in context or as part of Scripture as a whole.  Attackers do not care about anything other than trying to shame people into silence as if it is shameful to believe the things Ron Brown believes in.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Enhance said:

Do you also find it pitiful that he showed a lack of tolerance in his 2012 testimony?

Fundamentally speaking, this is why some people have concerns about Ron Brown. He advocated for love, fairness, treating all players/people the same, etc., while simultaneously saying LGBTQ citizens were undeserving of equal protection under the law. Perhaps his views on this have changed but that's what he said at the time.

I do not find it pitiful.  A Christians true love for fellow sinners is to warn of the danger to come at Judgement Day. 

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

I find it pitiful that there is no tolerance for the 10's of millions of guys like Ron Brown. 

Oh...this kind of crap is always great.

Look, most people in this thread have made it clear that he is free to be as Christian as he wanna be, and that he has done loads of good things with his ministry. The vast majority of us are perfectly tolerant of his religion. It is when he uses this platform to express hate that it needs to stop. He publicly advocated for LGBTQ to not have the same rights and protections as others, and he said that if the city council voted for such protections they would be judged by Jesus for their sins. 

We are all entitled to our own thoughts and prejudices, and diversity among all of us, whether it be thought, race, sexual orientation, religion, whatever, is a beautiful thing. But being intolerant of others' intolerance is not pitiful, nor is it ironic. Live and let live. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Do not infringe on other peoples' rights and liberties. These are guidelines that good people should live by. Ron Brown forgot some of that in his little speech. That hurts people. It excludes people. That is not what UNL is supposed to stand for. That is not what our justice system is supposed to stand for. 

• Plus1 4
Just now, Sgt Red said:

No, it is spot on.

No, it's not.

The conversation surrounding the Bible is a small portion of this thread. Whittling down three pages of conversation into sarcastic remarks like 'Ron Brown believes in the bible. Shame on him' is disingenuous.

A Christians true love for fellow sinners is to

warn of the danger to come at Judgement Day.

That has absolutely nothing to do with equal protection under the law.

So, you want vocal Christians segregated.

If you want to have a discussion on people's views on Christianity, please take it to P&R. This line of discussion is getting too close to going off topic.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

No, it is spot on.  The only reason RB is being attacked is for his adherence to the God of the Bible.  The argument is always the same and their ignorance of Scripture such as Leviticus 19:27 is never researched in context or as part of Scripture as a whole.  Attackers do not care about anything other than trying to shame people into silence as if it is shameful to believe the things Ron Brown believes in.

This thread is quickly going to the Lounge (or the Shed), but this misses the point by a wide margin. 

Ron Brown isn't being attacked by anyone. He's, by and large, going to be accepted into this role by the fanbase because of his history with the program. But, there is an issue with him working at a publicly funded university and using it as a bully pulpit to espouse a viewpoint that is, by and large, seen as discriminatory in today's society. 

As a Christian, I subscribe to John 13:34 - "Love one another. As I have loved you, so also must you love one another". It's not based on sex, gender, race or orientation. As a result, I utterly reject Coach Brown's assertions and viewpoints on LGBTQ rights. Equal treatment and protection under the law is not based on scripture, and it extends not to some, but to all. 

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

So, you want vocal Christians segregated.

If I may, let's compare Tom Osborne to Ron Brown. Tom Osborne has long worn his Christian faith on his sleeve and was never shy about using Christianity in his coaching or in his public speaking. I recall as a freshman at UNL, Dr. Tom gave a speech at the Lied Center to the incoming students, and there was quite a bit pf preachiness about morality and such, but he did not cross the line into marginalizing or excluding people based on a certain demographic. 

If I were a betting man, knowing that Tom Osborne is an older, conservative, devout Christian, I would bet that perhaps he shares some of Ron Brown's views on homosexuality. But Tom Osborne is a smart man who practices good judgment and takes care not to make controversial statements or to single out entire classes of people. I, and many others, are quite tolerant of Tom Osborne's religion and his politics, even if there are things that I might disagree with. 

Ron Brown on the other hand, said what he said out loud, in public, using the weight of his public persona, and did not apologize. He can believe what he wants, and once again has done plenty of great things on and off the football field.

Nobody wants Christians segregated, vocal or not. That is simply dramatic hyperbole. But vocal Christians certainly have avenues to express their faith without stomping on the rights of others.

• Plus1 8

At some point it's fair to question if you're going to the nostalgia well just to go there. Society changes over time, people change over time. What may have been the correct fit at one time may not be at another. The tangential subjects we are discussing here are definitely subjects where the popular opinion has pretty dramatically changed over the time period in question.

I'm not posting an opinion, just presenting an argument. I've used the example of Bill Walsh's return to both Stanford and the 49ers as an example of this before, because it's a great example. Just because a person had tremendous success at one point in an organization doesn't mean they come in at a later date and do the same. 

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

No, it's not.

The conversation surrounding the Bible is a small portion of this thread. Whittling down three pages of conversation into sarcastic remarks like 'Ron Brown believes in the bible. Shame on him' is disingenuous.

That has absolutely nothing to do with equal protection under the law.

If you want to have a discussion on people's views on Christianity, please take it to P&R. This line of discussion is getting too close to going off topic.

We have people saying that RB hates the rule of law because he disagrees with the ruling of some legislators.  That this position makes the Bible a small portion of the conversation and somehow it is acceptable to segregate Christians off into their own schools or locations.  Does it make things all better when you don't have to see and hear a Christian in your public space?  Somehow, a Christian cannot disagree with the local, state, or federal laws without being an evil person.  People say he is pushing his view onto people.  Well how about the pushing of the homosexual agenda onto Christians.  You cannot watch a TV show, a movie, read a magazine without homosexuality being pushed and glorified.  But a Christian must be silenced.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A couple of posts have been moved to the tangent thread in the Shed. Please keep this thread on the topic of Ron Brown.

Debates or discussion about Christianity itself belong in P&R.

Sorry, I was banging away at the keyboard already when you posted this. Totally agree.

17 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

We have people saying that RB hates the rule of law because he disagrees with the ruling of some legislators.  That this position makes the Bible a small portion of the conversation and somehow it is acceptable to segregate Christians off into their own schools or locations.

That is but a small portion of the discussion which actually began with Ron Brown's intentional/unintentional use of the university as a platform to express his opinions. That is why I labeled the above remarks as disingenuous.

I also see getting moved to a tangent thread as a segregated place for Christian thought to please the liberal position of intolerance.

Posts that don't adhere to a thread's topic are removed and placed in more appropriate locations. This is a board policy. If you'd like to discuss further, please PM me.

14 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If you watch the video again, Ron was advocating for no special rules for anyone.

I own one of the letters in LGBTQ (which one is no ones business) and I'm not offended in any way by what he said.

I'm betting it's the "B", it's the only one in your moniker haha<sarcasm>.  Not all LGBTW get offended at every little thing, but a lot of them do, so you're welcome over anytime bud.  My wife works in the LGBTQ field and she is not allowed to have any of them over to our house because all they do is tell us that we shouldn't call our kids "him" or "her", we should let them choose their own, so i've banned all of her LGBTQ friends from our house other than the ones who accept our rights.  I've learned the LGBTQ try and push their opinions on everyone else and we should either accept it or we are considered bigots, funny how the understanding should only go one way and by god you better accept it or else.

As for Coach Brown, welcome back, glad to have you, but in this time and era you can't have your own opinion anymore, it has to adhere to the hive mind or you're an outcast and in my opinion that's complete BS.

• Plus1 3