Ron Brown Returns to Nebraska as Director of Player Development

2 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Could we possibly move some of the talks on Coach Browns beliefs to P&R and keep this discussion here strictly to football? 

In my opinion, the conversation about his past is germane to the hire and thread, even if it relates to a P&R topic. A caveat to this would be if people branch off into LGBT discussions that don't involve Ron Brown and, if that happens, those will be moved.

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Watch the video.

OK.  I slightly mis-remembered the details.  He did hesitate before giving his address but he wasn't directly asked about it.  

The rest of my previous statement still holds.  I don't see anything that says it was his intent to make any sort of big deal about his association with the University.

• Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People giving statements at those hearings aren't asked to give the place they work. They're asked to give their home address. People before him in that hearing had provided their address, and if we're claiming he was "nervous" or whatever the excuse is, we're ignoring his job of coaching under pressure. He wasn't nervous, he knew exactly what he was doing.  This

People ARE allowed their own opinion. They are not allowed to infer that they represent their employer without prior approval, especially when that employer is the flagship university of a state, and especially when that university has explicit policies protecting the LGBTQ community. And we know that he was wrong because he was forced to issue an apology.

Brown wasn't supporting diversity, he was asking the city council to NOT support diversity.  How did that get twisted around to being against him?  Let's put it this way - if an LGBTQ employee of UNL had gone to a meeting and given UNL as their "home address" and spoken passionately against Ron Brown's right to practice his faith, I'd be saying the same thing about them as I'm saying about Brown now. 

He can give whatever address he wants.  Considering that’s were you’ll find him (as he explained), I think that’s appropriate.   Do that mean I’m a bigot, too?  

He apologized because of people like you - who can’t take things a face value.  

On your second point, of course (he wasn’t supporting what you characterize as “diversity”).  That’s the point. Where you agree with him or not, he is entitle to his own opinion.  

Oh, and let me add, if you really think he was representing the university in that clip, you need to watch it again.  

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No they didn't.  Again, you're reading way more into it than what's there.  

Edit: In fact, you could make the exact opposite argument from that statement.  They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all.  They said they were fine with him speaking and only asked that he clarify that he was speaking his own viewpoint and not associated with the university.

• Plus1 5

56 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

In the minds of those of who are bothered? Yes.

For the record, I am not nearly as bothered by this as some folks are. We all make our mistakes in this life, and there is not a single one of us that does not have skeletons in our closets. I have mine, you have yours, knapplc has his and Mavric and Saunders have theirs, ad nauseum. I dare say most of us have made far worse mistakes at one point or another in our lives than Ron Brown did in Omaha that night. So maybe we should live by the mantra that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. We make our mistakes, learn from them (hopefully) and move on. :) 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
Just now, Enhance said:

In my opinion, the conversation about his past is germane to the hire and thread, even if it relates to a P&R topic. A caveat to this would be if people branch off into LGBT discussions that don't involve Ron Brown and, if that happens, those will be moved.

Ah, I see, thanks for the input!

I don't know why people are so up in arms over a hire our savior Scott Frost has made. Ron Brown has given his all to this program and I believe this was a great football hire. If someone leaves the staff such as Walters or Beckton down the road, Brown can potentially fill in as a coach for them. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

I'm all ears for the real explanation of those events, then.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No they didn't.  Again, you're reading way more into it than what's there.  

Edit: In fact, you could make the exact opposite argument from that statement.  They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all.  They said they were fine with him speaking and only asked that he clarify that he was speaking his own viewpoint and not associated with the university.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Um...

Um, no.  They were clarifying because people like you need apparently that clarification.  Indeed, as they went on to say others associated with the university made statements in support of the measure, and they to were expressing their opinion.

its real easy to make up “facts” to support your position, but it would save us a lot of time if you just stick to what actually happened .

• Plus1 6
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all.  They said they were fine with him speaking and only asked that he clarify that he was speaking his own viewpoint and not associated with the university.

UNL has a stringent anti-discrimination LGBTQ policy.  Ron Brown spoke, using Memorial Stadium's address, against protection for LGBTQ rights. The statement I linked allows Brown to speak his mind (1st Amendment rights, as @Dagerow points out), but publicly admonishes him to keep his views separate from the UNL/UNL Athletics name.  Saying "They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all" is an inaccurate revisionist history of those events.

1 minute ago, Dagerow said:

Um, no.  They were clarifying because people like you need apparently that clarification.  Indeed, as they went on to say others associated with the university made statements in support of the measure, and they to were expressing their opinion.

its real easy to make up “facts” to support your position, but it would save us a lot of time if you just stick to what actually happened .

I'm going to ask you politely to stop with statements like 'people like you.'  Those have no place in the regular forums.  Thanks!

• Plus1 8
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

In his new role at Nebraska, Brown will serve in a non-coaching role, mentoring Husker football student-athletes in numerous off-field development areas. Brown will work closely with Nebraska’s nationally renowned Life Skills program and assist in community outreach efforts of Husker football players and staff.

“Coach Brown had a tremendous impact on me during my playing career at Nebraska, and I am sure he will have a similar impact on many young men in our football program in the years ahead,” Frost said. “Coach Brown understands Nebraska and what makes this a great place for student-athletes to grow and learn in all areas.”

Brown will bring 31 years of college coaching experience to the Nebraska football staff. Brown coached for four seasons at his alma mater, Brown University, before his 24 seasons at Nebraska and the past three years at Liberty.

You mean he was so good in college, they renamed the university after him?

• Plus1 4