Ron Brown Returns to Nebraska as Director of Player Development

I guess we will need to go straight to the horses or, in this instance, donkey's mouth because when I read these two sentences "The university defends the right of its faculty and students to participate in public dialogue and to express their personal views. I understand that there were also faculty and students from the university who testified in favor of the ordinance ", it sounds like Perlman isn't necessarily condoning Brown's comments, more so he is clarifying for the individuals that took issue with the comment that those are his (Brown's) own opinions, just like those who were in favor of the ordinance expressed their own opinion. To me, it doesn't seem like he was shooting down Brown.

2 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

To me, it doesn't seem like he was shooting down Brown.

He wasn't. And I don't get where the disconnect throughout this thread is.

But in this statement, Perlman is telling UNL employees that they shouldn't involve UNL in their personal views:

"We do ask individuals associated with the university to make it clear in their public statements that they are speaking only as an individual, and not on behalf of the university. Unfortunately in this instance Coach Brown did not make it clear in his comments that he was asserting his personal viewpoint and not representing the university. I have asked him to make that clarification explicitly in the future."

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Of course they did.  Harvey wrote that letter and specifically named Ron Brown.

No they didn't.  It obviously created a lot of media coverage and questions to the University.  They said he was fine to say it, just should have clarified that he didn't speak for the University.

The fact that they put out a statement doesn't mean they think it's a big deal.  It's only has to mean that they are sesponding to what other people are framing as a big deal.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

They said he was fine to say it, just should have clarified that he didn't speak for the University.

This is what I've been saying this entire thread. I understand that you object to the euphamism "cloak himself in Husker red" or whatever, but if this is what you believe, this is what I believe.

It's like the reverse of an impasse.  We are at a passe.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

UNL has a stringent anti-discrimination LGBTQ policy.  Ron Brown spoke, using Memorial Stadium's address, against protection for LGBTQ rights. The statement I linked allows Brown to speak his mind (1st Amendment rights, as @Dagerow points out), but publicly admonishes him to keep his views separate from the UNL/UNL Athletics name.  Saying "They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all" is an inaccurate revisionist history of those events.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But in this statement, Perlman is telling UNL employees that they shouldn't involve UNL in their personal views:

"We do ask individuals associated with the university to make it clear in their public statements that they are speaking only as an individual, and not on behalf of the university. Unfortunately in this instance Coach Brown did not make it clear in his comments that he was asserting his personal viewpoint and not representing the university. I have asked him to make that clarification explicitly in the future."

It is not revisionist history.  It is simply not how you are choosing to frame the events.

Your definition of "admonish" does not seem to agree with Webster.

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So I guess the argument comes down to, was his use of Memorial Stadium's address an intended intimidation factor?

edit: I could see both sides of that, but tend to think he was probably not wanting to give out his personal address. If he would've gone on to reiterate what his job was and who he worked for, then I'd be willing to say that leans more to the intimidation factor and probably would've resulted in a public reprimand by the university.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNBigD said:

So I guess the argument comes down to, was his use of Memorial Stadium's address an intended intimidation factor?

I use a fake address...because I live in a Celebrity Home and I am ashamed of the windows, walls, paint and cabinets.  

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

UNL has a stringent anti-discrimination LGBTQ policy.  Ron Brown spoke, using Memorial Stadium's address, against protection for LGBTQ rights. The statement I linked allows Brown to speak his mind (1st Amendment rights, as @Dagerow points out), but publicly admonishes him to keep his views separate from the UNL/UNL Athletics name.  Saying "They didn't think it was all that big of a deal at all" is an inaccurate revisionist history of those events.

I'm going to ask you politely to stop with statements like 'people like you.'  Those have no place in the regular forums.  Thanks!

As long as you stop saying “in regular forums.”  Agreed?

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Since the words we use are being super parsed, I would not say he intended to "intimidate."  I would say he intended to use his connection to UNL to an advantage. And I would say the University stated he should not do that.

Trying to be precise because there are linguistic land mines in this thread.  :D

1 minute ago, Dagerow said:

As long as you stop saying “in regular forums.”  Agreed?

Fair.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No they didn't.  It obviously created a lot of media coverage and questions to the University.  They said he was fine to say it, just should have clarified that he didn't speak for the University.

The fact that they put out a statement doesn't mean they think it's a big deal.  It's only has to mean that they are sesponding to what other people are framing as a big deal.

UNL doesn't just put out press releases to say everything is fine. They were putting out a fire. Ron Brown, taking the position that he took and saying the things he did, created negative PR for the university. You better believe that when this happened, Perlman, the Athletic Dept, the general counsel, and whoever else were scrambling around like madmen screaming about how to calm this down. It was a big deal. And Ron Brown did something that was unnecessarily hateful and controversial.

He's a good football guy though.

• Plus1 6

I like the hire, recognize there are those who see the need to point out his comments about ‘the Bible says’. Even with all his accolades, he is not protected from public opinion. Not sure if he was using the university as a platform, but he probably did not think it  through.  I guess what bothers me most, is the fact that this is the first thing some people are thinking about, rather than the positives. It’s like there always has to be that guy, who pisses on the campfire. This twitter or should I say tweet from Josh P, almost begs of him needing attention, or listeners to react. I don’t know, SF is the man in charge, lets see where it goes from here. 

In todays world, being Politically Correct, supersedes religious teachings, so to each their own.

Edited by TAKODA
Spelling fat fingers
  • Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Since the words we use are being super parsed, I would not say he intended to "intimidate."  I would say he intended to use his connection to UNL to an advantage. And I would say the University stated he should not do that.

Trying to be precise because there are linguistic land mines in this thread.  :D

Fair.

Sure, looking back on it I probably should've used influence instead of intimidate.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

UNL doesn't just put out press releases to say everything is fine. They were putting out a fire. Ron Brown, taking the position that he took and saying the things he did, created negative PR for the university. You better believe that when this happened, Perlman, the Athletic Dept, the general counsel, and whoever else were scrambling around like madmen screaming about how to calm this down. It was a big deal. And Ron Brown did something that was unnecessarily hateful and controversial.

He's a good football guy though.

Lots of speculation in this post.

• Plus1 1