Breakout: Ron Brown and religion

• 11 months later...

11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

“It wasn’t about Turner, and it wasn’t about Bo,” Brown said. “It was the snowplow. I feel like I’ll have a national platform at Liberty at a time when people who believe like I do — in terms of Christianity — need to have voices. And I think there needs to be voices from the sports world. Liberty offers me a voice in the sports world that can go out and cover a lot of ground.

“Liberty gets to play offense. A lot of schools are playing defense with Christianity. Liberty gets to play offense, and that was a main reason why I felt led to go.”

/quote

And he's ditching the Christian paradise of Liberty.......for the money?

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Keeping in mind that Ron Brown wants to tell tens of millions of people who they are legally allowed to love, based on the Bible, and that they will be burning in hell regardless.

Pretty odd to see Ron Brown as the victim here. 

And it's not that people tried to shut him up. Ron Brown spoke his mind, and that's how we got our opinion of him. 

Then Ron found a good home for his selective tolerance: Liberty University.

So, you want vocal Christians segregated.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I didn't remember this, but yep, there was backlash at YSU: http://www.thejambar.com/tressel-pelini-brown-asked-to-attend-lgbtqia-sensitivity-training/

Then I found this article by Sam McKewon, where Ron Brown's own quote shows that he relishes being able to use his position as a coach in order to promote his beliefs: https://omaha.com/huskers/ron-brown-s-switch-from-youngstown-state-to-liberty-for/article_9baeddcb-b5e9-57f8-9030-c070a19c9a14.html 

“One of the mandates for me was to use the radio spots, the TV spots and the social media mechanisms that they have in a big-time way across the country and across the world in the area of sports,” Brown said.

Brown’s analogy: At Nebraska and Youngstown State, he felt as though he was using a “hand shovel to clear a driveway of snow.” At Liberty, he said, he’ll have a snowplow.

“It wasn’t about Turner, and it wasn’t about Bo,” Brown said. “It was the snowplow. I feel like I’ll have a national platform at Liberty at a time when people who believe like I do — in terms of Christianity — need to have voices. And I think there needs to be voices from the sports world. Liberty offers me a voice in the sports world that can go out and cover a lot of ground.

“Liberty gets to play offense. A lot of schools are playing defense with Christianity. Liberty gets to play offense, and that was a main reason why I felt led to go.”

/quote

Maybe I'm getting off topic here but I'm tired of my fellow Christians acting like and thinking they are persecuted in the U.S.  That is almost as far from the truth as you can get.

• Plus1 6

8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If I may, let's compare Tom Osborne to Ron Brown. Tom Osborne has long worn his Christian faith on his sleeve and was never shy about using Christianity in his coaching or in his public speaking. I recall as a freshman at UNL, Dr. Tom gave a speech at the Lied Center to the incoming students, and there was quite a bit pf preachiness about morality and such, but he did not cross the line into marginalizing or excluding people based on a certain demographic. 

If I were a betting man, knowing that Tom Osborne is an older, conservative, devout Christian, I would bet that perhaps he shares some of Ron Brown's views on homosexuality. But Tom Osborne is a smart man who practices good judgment and takes care not to make controversial statements or to single out entire classes of people. I, and many others, are quite tolerant of Tom Osborne's religion and his politics, even if there are things that I might disagree with. 

Ron Brown on the other hand, said what he said out loud, in public, using the weight of his public persona, and did not apologize. He can believe what he wants, and once again has done plenty of great things on and off the football field.

Nobody wants Christians segregated, vocal or not. That is simply dramatic hyperbole. But vocal Christians certainly have avenues to express their faith without stomping on the rights of others.

All Christians have different roles as part of the body of Christ.  Some are more bold than others.  Paul and Peter of the Bible were bold.  Timothy not so much.  Each completed the role God had for them.

22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This thread is quickly going to the Lounge (or the Shed), but this misses the point by a wide margin. 

Ron Brown isn't being attacked by anyone. He's, by and large, going to be accepted into this role by the fanbase because of his history with the program. But, there is an issue with him working at a publicly funded university and using it as a bully pulpit to espouse a viewpoint that is, by and large, seen as discriminatory in today's society. 

As a Christian, I subscribe to John 13:34 - "Love one another. As I have loved you, so also must you love one another". It's not based on sex, gender, race or orientation. As a result, I utterly reject Coach Brown's assertions and viewpoints on LGBTQ rights. Equal treatment and protection under the law is not based on scripture, and it extends not to some, but to all. 

For many years we have been involved in great discussions on topics like this.  You know my position pretty well.  True love tells a person to get out of a burning building instead of just saying hey I love you despite the situation you are in regarding the burning building.

13 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:
45 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

So, you want vocal Christians segregated.

I think you're willfully missing the point.

Christian voices speak up. Christian voices find both supporters and detractors. That's how it is with everyone, including Colin Kaepernick.

Ron Brown has his views on homosexuality challenged. The state University that employs him (and provides him state celebrity) frowns on Brown taking a stand against civil rights on a public forum involving binding public policy. But that's all it is: a frowning. No one is silencing Brown or segregating Brown. Ron Brown has thrown himself into the court of public opinion. Again, not unlike Colin Kaepernick, he has to face a world of public consequences.

By choice, Ron Brown chooses to go to Liberty University, where he champions its willingness to promote his brand of Christianity. Even at Liberty, anti-gay rhetoric is becoming less acceptable. Times are changing. You can call it segregation, but sometimes the free market is setting its own bar.  

Fun fact: in a simpler time, Ron Brown would have his life and family threatened for acting so uppity to the town council of Lynchburg, Virginia.

• Plus1 5
51 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

I also see getting moved to a tangent thread as a segregated place for Christian thought to please the liberal position of intolerance.

Frankly, you see wrongly.

41 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

For many years we have been involved in great discussions on topics like this.  You know my position pretty well.  True love tells a person to get out of a burning building instead of just saying hey I love you despite the situation you are in regarding the burning building.

Does true love support a person in a burning building being able to get fired from their job because of being in a burning building? That's what we're talking about. Quit obfuscating. 

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

True love tells a person to get out of a burning building instead of just saying hey I love you despite the situation you are in regarding the burning building.

In this case, your burning building = your antiquated thought process on this topic that is leaving you in the dark ages while the rest of society moves forward.

I love you enough as a human being to tell you that it is time to evolve, brother.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Does true love support a person in a burning building being able to get fired from their job because of being in a burning building? That's what we're talking about. Quit obfuscating. 

In honesty, some of the anti-gay rhetoric from conservative Christians essentially locks the gays in the burning building, then shakes its head sadly at the fate they chose.

• Plus1 7
1 hour ago, Sgt Red said:

I submit to the moderators of this board.  I also see getting moved to a tangent thread as a segregated place for Christian thought to please the liberal position of intolerance.

I can assure you that my liberal rants on the football side have suffered the same fate.

1 hour ago, Sgt Red said:

I submit to the moderators of this board.  I also see getting moved to a tangent thread as a segregated place for Christian thought to please the liberal position of intolerance.

Truly, Christians are the victim in this situation.