Breakout: Ron Brown and religion

55 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Science: starts with "s"

Satan: starts with "s"

Both have an "n" (I'm guessing this means something)

Edit:  FOUND IT!!!!  The 5th letter in each word is "n".  How many points does a pentagram have???

<----   Hint  (but that is a red Cowboys star, similarities are eerie though)

Both have a prime number of letters (5 and 7)...

hmmmm........

Are we sure this doesn't go in the "Bump when drunk" thread? 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

It really doesn’t matter.  I feel called to no longer be here.

That seems like the opposite of the reaction you should have, imo. Not gonna go into detail on that 'cause it's a P&R topic.

I'm Christian and I think what Ron Brown did was wrong for multiple reasons. There are plenty of Christians around these parts so if that's a requirement for you to stick around here you shouldn't let this one topic drive you away.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That seems like the opposite of the reaction you should have, imo. Not gonna go into detail on that 'cause it's a P&R topic.

I'm Christian and I think what Ron Brown did was wrong for multiple reasons. There are plenty of Christians around these parts so if that's a requirement for you to stick around here you shouldn't let this one topic drive you away.

It’s not this topic that’s driving me away, and I’m not angry an any way, honestly.

I repented just recently, and my life has changed dramatically.  I don’t expect anyone to believe me; I feel Him close to me, and He’s been speaking to me, if that makes any sense.  I don’t really know how to discribe it in words.

I feel called to leave, and I want to obey. 

Honestly no hard feelings to anyone here, I really mean that.  I’m not angry at anyone, or anything that was said.  I’m actually really happy.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm curious if brown was a Muslim and held the same anti gay views would christians still support him?

And I'm curious if Brown was Muslim and held the same views if the same people would still oppose him?

Maybe he would convert for our little experiment...?

1 minute ago, Comfortably Numb said:

And I'm curious if Brown was Muslim and held the same views if the same people would still oppose him?

That's a good question liberals do tend to be hesitant to criticize muslims out of fear of being viewed as islamophobic 

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

That's a good question liberals do tend to be hesitant to criticize muslims out of fear of being viewed as islamophobic 

Maybe when a Muslim is in a position of authority and actually tries to force his/her beliefs on other Americans we’ll change.

• Plus1 4
28 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Of course they would.

People defend Muslims from persecution because they are a persecuted group in America. The same can't be said for Christians. They should be defended when they are persecuted but it's not the norm. With Muslims, it is.

But homophobia and genital mutilation is the same whether it's Christians or Muslims. What Brown did wasn't merely homophobia though, imo. 

I don't really get your take on this topic. Most people are saying they're fine with the hire, but some of those think what he did was wrong. You seem to not be anti-gay but think people shouldn't care about it because it happened in 2012. But why should it not matter because it happened 6 years ago? He apparently holds the same attitude now, so it's not relevant whether it was 6 years ago or 6 days ago. If someone thinks it was wrong then, and nothing has changed, it's just as big a deal now as it was then.

There is no indication he doesn't still feel the same way, so it's still relevant today to people who think it matters.

• Plus1 3

Here's an analogy.  In all of the negative press on Chic-Fil-A regarding the founders views, have they ever been sued for discrimination?  Had any scandals related to the operation of the restaurants? Denied service? Denied employment? Or have they been slammed for simply having a Christian view vs a world view......Same with RB.  Has he had any complaints, allegations etc....

As I said earlier, being intolerant of all views other than your own isn't tolerant.  It's oppression of free speech....People can't expect to have their voice heard while not allowing others to voice differing opinions.  If you want your position listened to, listen to the other as well.  Defend that speech as vehemently as you defended your own opinions..... 

Again, other than expressing his Christian views, I haven't seen anything derogatory as it relates to his treatment of those with differing views.  

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here's an analogy.  In all of the negative press on Chic-Fil-A regarding the founders views, have they ever been sued for discrimination?  Had any scandals related to the operation of the restaurants? Denied service? Denied employment? Or have they been slammed for simply having a Christian view vs a world view......Same with RB.  Has he had any complaints, allegations etc....

As I said earlier, being intolerant of all views other than your own isn't tolerant.  It's oppression of free speech....People can't expect to have their voice heard while not allowing others to voice differing opinions.  If you want your position listened to, listen to the other as well.  Defend that speech as vehemently as you defended your own opinions..... 

Again, other than expressing his Christian views, I haven't seen anything derogatory as it relates to his treatment of those with differing views.  

Has anyone said he didn't have the right to share his views? I believe he 100% has the right to say what ever he wants and would never try and stop it. i simple think someone else could fill this position without his baggage. The timing is also bad with media days coming up. 

• Plus1 1