Huskers And The 2019 NFL Draft

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

For the most part, it looked like we we can move the ball. We need some athletes on defense. Osborne was notorious for taking freakishly athletic guys that would probably excel on offense and unleashing them as a Blackshirt. If/When we are near Pelini '09 level defense, then we'll have a shot at our division. 

We don't need anything like that to have a shot at our division.  We had the team that won our division beat - handled them for 55 minutes - before giving it away at the end.  We only lost to the team that won our conference by five points at their place. 

We are MUCH closer than needed a 09-style defense to have a shot at our division.  We had a shot at our division with what we had last year.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

For the most part, it looked like we we can move the ball. We need some athletes on defense. Osborne was notorious for taking freakishly athletic guys that would probably excel on offense and unleashing them as a Blackshirt. If/When we are near Pelini '09 level defense, then we'll have a shot at the playoff

FIFY

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We don't need anything like that to have a shot at our division.  We had the team that won our division beat - handled them for 55 minutes - before giving it away at the end.  We only lost to the team that won our conference by five points at their place. 

We are MUCH closer than needed a 09-style defense to have a shot at our division.  We had a shot at our division with what we had last year.

My read on all of this is that we're going to have a few years of not entirely knowing what we have as the roster works towards stability. It feels like we're making progress almost everywhere, but it will take seasons where nothing goes wrong for another year or two for us to have a real good season. Our roster needs depth in some places and top end talent at others. It's just not quite there yet. I do feel as though our coaches are doing what they have to though and turning over the roster at a good clip.

I don't think we're far, but I do think it's going to feel a bit like two steps forward and a step to a step and a half back at times for another year. My hope is that with a more reasonable schedule this year we build optimism that isn't warranted and maybe lose our bowl game and in 2020 we carry that optimism and have a team and schedule that can live up to it. By 2021 which should be another harder year (I think) we have a tough team that can compete even in difficult schedule years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Jeremy said:

For the most part, it looked like we we can move the ball. We need some athletes on defense. Osborne was notorious for taking freakishly athletic guys that would probably excel on offense and unleashing them as a Blackshirt. If/When we are near Pelini '09 level defense, then we'll have a shot at our division. 

If I remember correctly, TO used have a lot of high school running backs that switched to defense. He said the best athletes in high school play RB.

@MichiganDad3 Or Cody Glenn under Pelini. Gotta be careful with trying to convert guys, though. Remember that Ameer played for us mainly because we were willing to give him a shot at RB, when everybody else wanted to convert him into a safety or something.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

@MichiganDad3 Or Cody Glenn under Pelini. Gotta be careful with trying to convert guys, though. Remember that Ameer played for us mainly because we were willing to give him a shot at RB, when everybody else wanted to convert him into a safety or something.

The mind of a young athlete is a funny thing. Frost happily converts to safety, plays six years in the NFL, makes connections, and is a P5 head coach. Crouch would not accept anything other than the QB position in the NFL, and look where that decision took him. We need the best athletes. IMO, it is best not to lock someone into a position. I am all with giving someone a chance, but if it doesn't work out, they may be able to thrive at another position. McBride also moved LBs to DL and defensive backs to LB in the early 90s when his defense took off.

• Plus1 3

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Morgan is solid but not spectacular.  He is fairly slow (t-74 among wideouts at the Combine).  He is fairly short for a guy that slow.  While he has good hands, I'm sure the concern is how will he get open in the NFL.  He is a nice college receiver that doesn't project well to the next level.

Ozigbo is somewhat similar in that he's a solid college player but I don't think he projects well at the next level.  He worked his butt off in the last year and I credit him for that.  But he basically was in the right place at the right time.  He is a solid, steady player who was able to take advantage of our depth chart falling apart around him and he was the guy left to get a lot of the work.  And he had Frost's wizardry as a play-caller to get him a lot of room to work where he could rack up a lot of yards by simply running to daylight.

I'm glad both guys will still get their shot.  And I wish them nothing but the best.  But I'm not holding my breath for either of them.

Exactly.  People think he should have been drafted because he has the "N" on his helmet and not the big picture.

1 hour ago, The Murphinator said:

You never know. I still think the Saints are the best fit for him. Just got to work hard and go to work. 

He will be battle Washington for 3rd on depth chart.  With that being said, hes one injury away from playing IF he has a good camp.  i dont see them signing anyone else and Kamara will not be utilized as a 3 down back.  Washington and ozigbo have a similar skillset so that battle will be interesting.  I'll definitely be watching it for my dynasty fantasy football league.