Huskers And The 2019 NFL Draft

8 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

You never know. I still think the Saints are the best fit for him. Just got to work hard and go to work. 

I agree, as long as he can pass block he will have a role.  He will get some of the between the tackles runs that Ingram used to spell for Kamara.  I believe Pierre "PT Cruiser" Thomas, Chris Ivory, and Travaris Cadet to name a few, were all UDFA that found some measure of football success in New Orleans.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, Mavric said:

Morgan is solid but not spectacular.  He is fairly slow (t-74 among wideouts at the Combine).  He is fairly short for a guy that slow.  While he has good hands, I'm sure the concern is how will he get open in the NFL.  He is a nice college receiver that doesn't project well to the next level.

Ozigbo is somewhat similar in that he's a solid college player but I don't think he projects well at the next level.  He worked his butt off in the last year and I credit him for that.  But he basically was in the right place at the right time.  He is a solid, steady player who was able to take advantage of our depth chart falling apart around him and he was the guy left to get a lot of the work.  And he had Frost's wizardry as a play-caller to get him a lot of room to work where he could rack up a lot of yards by simply running to daylight.

I'm glad both guys will still get their shot.  And I wish them nothing but the best.  But I'm not holding my breath for either of them.

Morgan I can probably agree with.  I don't think I agree about Ozigbo.  He's got solid hands, both when running and receiving (0 fumbles in 2018).  He's got a decent amount of wiggle to him for his size and enough speed to go with it.  He's got a little more size so he may not be quite as versatile but I could see him being a Burkhead type player in the NFL.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Mavric said:

Morgan is solid but not spectacular.  He is fairly slow (t-74 among wideouts at the Combine).  He is fairly short for a guy that slow.  While he has good hands, I'm sure the concern is how will he get open in the NFL.  He is a nice college receiver that doesn't project well to the next level.

Ozigbo is somewhat similar in that he's a solid college player but I don't think he projects well at the next level.  He worked his butt off in the last year and I credit him for that.  But he basically was in the right place at the right time.  He is a solid, steady player who was able to take advantage of our depth chart falling apart around him and he was the guy left to get a lot of the work.  And he had Frost's wizardry as a play-caller to get him a lot of room to work where he could rack up a lot of yards by simply running to daylight.

I'm glad both guys will still get their shot.  And I wish them nothing but the best.  But I'm not holding my breath for either of them.

Agree that Morgan's odds aren't great, but there has always been a slot for these kind of guys at the NFL level, too; the shorter, slower, less-flashy possession receivers who always get you 12 yards on a 3rd and 9.  When the draft went down to 6 rounds I think it created a market for scouts to find guys like Morgan on the cheap. If they prove themselves in camp, teams will dump the receiver they drafted and swallow the relatively small contract. Happens every year. 

44 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Morgan I can probably agree with.  I don't think I agree about Ozigbo.  He's got solid hands, both when running and receiving (0 fumbles in 2018).  He's got a decent amount of wiggle to him for his size and enough speed to go with it.  He's got a little more size so he may not be quite as versatile but I could see him being a Burkhead type player in the NFL.

Ozigbo is not that similar to Burkhead.  Burkhead excels at making guys miss in the hole and getting some extra yardage.  He has really quick feet and a devastating jump cut.

That is not Ozigbo.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ozigbo is not that similar to Burkhead.  Burkhead excels at making guys miss in the hole and getting some extra yardage.  He has really quick feet and a devastating jump cut.

That is not Ozigbo.

I agree Ozigbo does not have that jump cut and is not as good at making guys miss.  I meant it as more of how the Saints might use him.  Quick swing passes out of the backfield, short yardage situations, won't be a starter (I realize Burkhead was last year) and will be more of a situational back.  I could also be completely wrong and he'll never play or used differently but I think the Saints will find a role for him.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree Ozigbo does not have that jump cut and is not as good at making guys miss.  I meant it as more of how the Saints might use him.  Quick swing passes out of the backfield, short yardage situations, won't be a starter (I realize Burkhead was last year) and will be more of a situational back.  I could also be completely wrong and he'll never play or used differently but I think the Saints will find a role for him.

Yes, but there is a big difference in how effective they can be running those same type of plays.  You could put me out there and I can run those type of plays.  But being effective running those plays is an entirely different thing.  What makes Burkhead an effective NFL back is his elusiveness in addition to being a tough runner and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes, but there is a big difference in how effective they can be running those same type of plays.  You could put me out there and I can run those type of plays.  But being effective running those plays is an entirely different thing.  What makes Burkhead an effective NFL back is his elusiveness in addition to being a tough runner and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield.

I agree and while you are correct that he's no Burkhead, I think Ozigbo does those things well enough he'll get a shot.  Time will tell.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Saints signed latavius Murray l, ozigbo isnt beating him out

I hope you’re right. John Dorsey met with Ziggy twice before the draft. The Browns are shopping Duke Johnson and don’t get Kareem Hunt until game 9. I think Ziggy would be a nice backup for Nick Chubb. Fairly similar style back, so wouldn’t be a complimentary back, but as far as reserves go.

• 2 weeks later...