Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is ugly.  Zach is a worthless excuse of a human.  And once a wife beater, always a wife beater.  Thank God this finally came out.  Those images were just one example, I'm sure there were more minor examples constantly throughout their marriage.  In any case covering it up and blatantly lying by Urban at B1G media days should be enough to kick his ass out.  If not, tOSU regards winning over morals.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, brophog said:

Ultimately these things come down to weighing success vs the PR hit of the scandal. If I'm honest, that ratio favors Urban here. 

That's not to downplay this at all, but that's how these things typically go.

I wonder if the kicker isn't Urban's denial recently.  If he hadn't said anything and this came out, you could go for some sort of "we did internal discipline/forced him to do counseling" that might let it slide by.  But now it looks like he was blatantly lying to cover it up.  That doesn't play nearly as well.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I wonder if the kicker isn't Urban's denial recently.  If he hadn't said anything and this came out, you could go for some sort of "we did internal discipline/forced him to do counseling" that might let it slide by.  But now it looks like he was blatantly lying to cover it up.  That doesn't play nearly as well.

I totally agree. 

Ohio State can move on without Urban Meyer. They showed as much getting Meyer post Tressell. Meyer isn’t untouchable and the athletic department and school will not shake this if they retain him. Every other program is already thinking of ways to spin the negative recruiting.

Gotta consider what is going through the minds of parents of daughters who just attend OSU and know that a school won’t protect them from a player because Urban protects the player. 

Then think about the moms he talks to on the recruiting trail. The university can move on, but Urban Meyer won’t.

buhbye

• Plus1 3

I think Urban survives this but it just goes to show what is wrong with him and college football in general. 

It is all about winning and $$$. Occasionally a scandal is too large to ignore(Baylor, Penn State). Urban will apologize, or get his wife to make a statement that she never shared those texts with Urban. He will take some time off to "reevaluate" and then come back preaching he is a better man. Ohio state will throw some money at domestic violence charities and just keep on going.

The problem wont be solved. Even if Urban is remorseful, he still let someone work under him after he did that. I believe in second chances, but this wasnt Zach's first altercation, nor will it be his last. I understand not throwing the guy to the wolves at the time if you truly dont think that is who he is. But you cant let him coach. You can help support him and get him help, but you cant just let him continue to shape young athletes. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Ohio State can move on without Urban Meyer. They showed as much getting Meyer post Tressell. Meyer isn’t untouchable and the athletic department and school will not shake this if they retain him. Every other program is already thinking of ways to spin the negative recruiting.

Gotta consider what is going through the minds of parents of daughters who just attend OSU and know that a school won’t protect them from a player because Urban protects the player. 

Then think about the moms he talks to on the recruiting trail. The university can move on, but Urban Meyer won’t.

buhbye

I think you're right here.  I see Meyer being canned due to this, there's no way around it.

13 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I think you're right here.  I see Meyer being canned due to this, there's no way around it.

Someone is going to have to make a very unpopular decision either way. We are in a very dead period in the sports news cycle, so this story will have some buzz for a few days, but we are heading into a very busy part of the cycle pretty shortly. 

These sorts of stories get very hot, develop a sort of internet mob, but often times die off. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I respect the press. I want to trust them. But stuff like this kills me. People in Lincoln (& Omaha) know so much shady s#!t that happens in Nebraska's program, but it'll never see the papers. It's that way all across the country.  What horrors are being hidden at programs, and why? 

Self-preservation. I don't mean to overly simplify the equation, but this is capitalism at work. The coach's job security and paycheck depends on winning, which leads to putting ethical behavior as a lower priority -- meanwhile the journalists job security and paycheck depends on keeping the powerful people (coaches) around them happy, so they can keep access to the program to write good stories, which leads to the existence of 'beat' writers who can't afford to risk their own necks. Everyone not well off in the equation has gotta put food on the table, and everyone in positions of power in the equation also have the intoxicating effect of the Ego, which can supersede everything else.

1 hour ago, theknife said:

How has ESPN not so much as referenced this news yet?

ESPN fired McMurphy - they probably don't want to blatantly advertise that someone they let go is still breaking important news on his own without an employer.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Self-preservation. I don't mean to overly simplify the equation, but this is capitalism at work. The coach's job security and paycheck depends on winning, which leads to putting ethical behavior as a lower priority -- meanwhile the journalists job security and paycheck depends on keeping the powerful people (coaches) around them happy, so they can keep access to the program to write good stories, which leads to the existence of 'beat' writers who can't afford to risk their own necks. Everyone not well off in the equation has gotta put food on the table, and everyone in positions of power in the equation also have the intoxicating effect of the Ego, which can supersede everything else.

That's likely all true, but it's still an abrogation of their 4th Estate duties. 

25 minutes ago, brophog said:

Someone is going to have to make a very unpopular decision either way. We are in a very dead period in the sports news cycle, so this story will have some buzz for a few days, but we are heading into a very busy part of the cycle pretty shortly. 

These sorts of stories get very hot, develop a sort of internet mob, but often times die off. 

According to some Buckeye fans, Urban and Shelly both sat down with the Smiths in regards to the marital problems back in 2015, even the fans are starting to believe that Urban knew about this and lied.  It's definitely not looking good for him.

Edited by HuskerInLostWages
forgot to add the time frame.