Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading all of the comments here about OSU and Urban Meyer, seems to me that many have forgotten that we currently have a head coach who, while in college, hid in a closet while a teammate beat the hell out of his girl friend, and this same coach recently invited a former Husker back to talk to the football team; a former player was who convicted of sexual assault while playing football for the Huskers. 

I only bring this up because it seems that all of this rightous  indignation seem a little over the top.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dbqgolfer said:

After reading all of the comments here about OSU and Urban Meyer, seems to me that many have forgotten that we currently have a head coach who, while in college, hid in a closet while a teammate beat the hell out of his girl friend, and this same coach recently invited a former Husker back to talk to the football team; a former player was who convicted of sexual assault while playing football for the Huskers. 

I only bring this up because it seems that all of this rightous  indignation seem a little over the top.

No one is forgetting, but this is not an apples to apples comparison. First, Frost being wimpy if that's what you want to call it, is not the same as if he had helped Phillips after what happened, and he was 20 at the time, not 54 like Urban Meyer. 2nd, Osborne did not try to hide what Phillips had done. 3rd, what player are you talking about? If you mean Christian Peter, he was not convicted and I don't think Frost invited him. Jason Peter spoke to the football team. I believe you have the wrong brother. And finally, people can be upset at both, but we're talking about OSU right now - that's in the title of this topic.

• Plus1 8

I finally read through the investigative report. Crazy. I actually do this sort of work, and if I handed a report with this many holes and sparse analysis to my general counsel, my ears would be bleeding from the amount of cursing I would have to endure about what a crap job I did.

• Plus1 6

16 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Yeah... the hiding in the closet thing is B.S.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, scarletNcream said:

Sorry if this was discussed already but, what about Urban's wife Shelley? A nurse and on staff at OSU, doesn't that make her a Mandatory reporter? Shouldn't she be questioned on why she never reported any incidents. After all, Urban said he and his wife never discussed it.

OSU was only concered with PR, and they failed horribly at the PR game because it was obvious they didn't care about the victim or investigation at all.

Yes she should have been investigated/questioned also but they didn't want to actually find anything.

If the feds or NCAA decide to step in it will be different for both Meyer's.  If that happens I suspect Urban will remember his heart issues again after forgetting them when the Ohio State job became available.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, scarletNcream said:

Sorry if this was discussed already but, what about Urban's wife Shelley? A nurse and on staff at OSU, doesn't that make her a Mandatory reporter? Shouldn't she be questioned on why she never reported any incidents. After all, Urban said he and his wife never discussed it.

supposedly the incidents were reported and it was decided to ignore them and let the police handle it. Seems like the Meyer's didn't think very much of Smiths wife. Sounds like they didnt trust her either. Given Smith's charater flaws and poor job performance I am surprised they trusted him. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:01 AM, VectorVictor said:

Zach Smith's tweet makes it look more like Ohio State University was just going through the machinations of an investigation and that the committee already had a pre-determined outcome in mind for Urban Meyer than any sort of nosing around looking for dirt/overstepping of boundaries. 

Just pure incompetence and willful obfuscation all around on the part of Ohio State University. But hey, if any university is going to do hypocrisy in such a grandiose manner, it's going to be the University of Texas THE Ohio State University. :thumbs

IIRC the "independent" investigation was handled by Ohio State Board members, who cut a $50000 no bid contract to a certain law firm. Baylor should be taking notes. 

14 minutes ago, sho said:

Does this fall under Title IX?  Can the feds investigate this, and not just rely on OSU's version of events?   If so, then I think things get a heck of a lot stickier for the Meyer's family and a lot of the coaches on that staff.

The independent investigation had to do with OSU's policies and Meyer's contractual obligations, which are different than (but similar to) federal guidance under Title IX. Someone can file a Title IX lawsuit, and then the resulting investigation would review whether or not OSU was in compliance with the federal guidance, but someone would have to file the suit first.

I'm not sure if any of the parties in this case would be inclined to file suit (Courtney Smith? She's got the divorce and other stuff going on, not sure what she would have to gain from a Title IX lawsuit), but an advocacy group such as FIRE or ACLU might.