Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

All students, faculty and staff at UNL are protected by Title IX (regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, full or part-time status, disability, race or national origin) in all aspects of UNL’s educational programs and activities. All forms of sexual harassment, including but not limited to, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault are violations of Title IX and prohibited by UNL.

I think Urban is toast, and should be; but I do not believe this is a Title IX issue, as noted above from the UNL link you provided.

It is still covered as on of the school employees is the one who is beating his wife, he also happened to be one of the subordinates of Urban Meyer, so it is in fact covered by title IX.  It doesn't just stop at being against one of those hilited above, it also covers if the hilited are the abuser.

2 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

It is still covered as on of the school employees is the one who is beating his wife, he also happened to be one of the subordinates of Urban Meyer, so it is in fact covered by title IX.  It doesn't just stop at being against one of those hilited above, it also covers if the hilited are the abuser.

Ok, I wasn't trying to defend Urban, I just wasn't sure that it was a Title IX issue. Apparently it is.

I mean .... I know this isn't a legal argument.

But as close as Urban is to smith and someone is going to try to pass off that Urban didn't know.  Never asked him about his wife?  Never asked what was going on and if he could help.  No one ever bothered to tell him that the reason his wife wasn't around anymore was because he was beating her?

Rick Petino is embarrassed at the amateur explanation.

I know this is contrary to popular opinion, and I understand why that opinion exists, but I just don't think Meyer gets fired. I think this administrative leave buys them time to let the fervor subside, they execute an investigation, then he's suspended a game or two as punishment.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

I know this is contrary to popular opinion, and I understand why that opinion exists, but I just don't think Meyer gets fired. I think this administrative leave buys them time to let the fervor subside, they execute an investigation, then he's suspended a game or two as punishment.

Nah. I think administrative leave is similar to the Art Briles situation in the sense that Ohio State’s legal team is combing through the contract to determine a way to fire him with cause and get out of paying any sort of severance. You have to remember he just signed a contact extension through 2023, I believe. McMurphy still has a lot of ammo in the form of additional texts and photos, so it’ll only get messier if Ohio state tries to play it off. 

• Plus1 4

I took a glance at OSU's Title IX policy, and their standard of proof for investigations of policy violations is the preponderance of the evidence. In other words, they would only have to find that it is more likely than not (a 51% probability of guilt, if that makes sense) that a policy was violated in order to take action. The proof does not have to be any more convincing than that.

Unless the text messages are faked, it is simply implausible that Urban didn't know about all this stuff. There is no way to prove that he didn't know. Therefore, he failed in his duty to report, in violation of both the University's policy and his specific contract. Maybe if OSU wasn't already knee-deep in Title IX problems prior to this would the be able to wiggle out of it, but I don't see that happening.

1. They've already set their own precedent when they fired Tressel for being dishonest about lesser offenses.

2. They are already under the microscope for the issue with the wrestling team, the dead doctor, and the wackadoo Congressman.

3. OSU was already embarrassed by their marching band scandal about 4 years ago

4. They fired their whole Title IX office just last month for mishandling cases

5. Other college sports scandals involving sexual misconduct are still fresh in the publics' minds, not to mention the #metoo movement.

This was the last thing OSU needed. Urban's gotta be gone.

• Plus1 7