Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OSU doesn't need anything to line up if they want to keep Urban. For example, look at Tom Izzo and Mike MacIntyre situations, both schools decided to keep their coaches. 

I am fine with OSU getting rid of Urban. If Urban didn't want this to happen, he should have gotten rid of Smith in 2009 and especially in 2015. Even without the DV accusations he should have gotten rid of Smith because he wasn't a good WR coach. 

It will be interesting to see this play out and hear whatever else comes out from this. There are so many questions that need to be answered by Zach Smith, Courtney Smith, Urban, Shelley Meyer, and OSU. 

I am not going to debate this anymore so I will leave it at that. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, jaws said:

It will be interesting to see this play out and hear whatever else comes out from this. There are so many questions that need to be answered by Zach Smith, Courtney Smith, Urban, Shelley Meyer, and OSU. 

Bull on Courtney Smith having to answer more s*** for you, me, or anyone else.

Courtney has already provided sufficient evidence in a court of law (it was brought up earlier in this thread she’s got a restraining order), and she’s provided pictures of her husband’s abuse and handiwork, documented texts where the husband cops to choking her, *and* provided a text that clearly shows Urban and his wife were aware. 

What you posted comes off as a passive-aggressive attempt at victim shaming. I really don’t know if that was your intent, but what reasonably more can she provide? 

• Plus1 5

2 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

And then McMurphey then posts something else that catches them in a lie.

To bastardize a phrase once used to compare our post-Osborne Head Coach to Osborne, tOSU and Urban are playing checkers, and McMurphey is playing chess. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Courtney has already provided sufficient evidence in a court of law (it was brought up earlier in this thread she’s got a restraining order), and she’s provided pictures of her husband’s abuse and handiwork, documented texts where the husband cops to choking her, *and* provided a text that clearly shows Urban and his wife were aware. 

What you posted comes off as a passive-aggressive attempt at victim shaming. I really don’t know if that was your intent, but what reasonably more can she provide? 

I think jaws is okay with it either way,not the abuse itself.  He says if he is fired he deserves it, if not, theres literally nothing in his power he can do.  It's similiar to us being blamed for firing Solich, we had jack to do with that.  Just my opinion of what he stated.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

If you have Twitter, I recommend following Michael McCann if you don't already. He's a legal analyst for SI and usually provides well-written articles about the legal implications surrounding different situations in sports. His most recent look at the 'Dear Buckeye Nation' letter, and Zach Smith's radio interview, and their impact on the situation is pretty insightful.

Courtney definitely has the law on her side, though. Smith was charged with aggravated battery against a pregnant Courtney in 2009 (though I believe it was dropped) and then the judge of course issued a five year domestic violence protection order against Zach a few weeks ago. Those are not easy to come by and require a 'preponderance' of evidence for a judge to grant them.

• Plus1 8

I think this ends with Meyer either resigning or being fired, most likely fired. I don't know if it will be with or without cause, and honestly, that aspect doesn't matter. I mean, it matters to Ohio State and Meyer, but should not matter to anyone else.

Meyer knew about the incident in 2009 (Meyer even said he and his wife helped counsel.) He knew about the incident in 2015, that's why he reported it. Can't report something if you don't know that there was some kind of incident or potential incident. Now, here comes the best-case scenario, Meyer knew he had a potential wife beater on staff and continued to employ him for another 2.5 years.

Combine all that with texts proving that Smith acknowledged he choked his wife along with Urban's wife receiving texts and pictures of Smith's wife's injuries. Urban almost certainly knew. He's a classic control freak coach in charge of every aspect of his program.

So Meyer either definitely knew Smith was beating his wife and kept him on staff, probably knew Smith was beating his wife and kept him on staff, or chose to ignore the problem and evidence and kept a potential wife beater on his staff.

In regards to the other people involved, Meyer's wife will be fired and lose her nursing license. Strong chance AD Gene Smith gets fired. Strong chance other coaches and Ohio State officials get fired.

This may have gone differently 10-20 years ago. Now though, post Penn State Sandusky and the Ray Rice video, a whole lot of people are going to get fired.

• Plus1 4
9 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I think jaws is okay with it either way,not the abuse itself.  He says if he is fired he deserves it, if not, theres literally nothing in his power he can do.  It's similiar to us being blamed for firing Solich, we had jack to do with that.  Just my opinion of what he stated.

Jaws reached out and explained to me—it just read as if he was going down a victim-blaming path, and since I’ve had friends I helped flee similar situations (one back in Lincoln—a former amateur boxer, who was fun to stare down in the now-demolished Perkins parking lot) I’ll admittedly have a bit of an itchy trigger finger on the subject.

Since he’s didn’t mean it that way, Jaws is cool, I apologize, and Urban is still a f*****g piece of excrement. 

3 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

This may have gone differently 10-20 years ago. Now though, post Penn State Sandusky and the Ray Rice video, a whole lot of people are going to get fired.

What if Meyer isn't fired? What if very little comes from this? The negative PR will die down, already has to a great extent. Unless there is some really big revelation we don't know about it won't be front page news anymore, won't even be back page once the football season gets underway. The question is, without the negative PR generated by it being the dominant topic, does this story have any legs?

4 hours ago, brophog said:

What if Meyer isn't fired? What if very little comes from this? The negative PR will die down, already has to a great extent. Unless there is some really big revelation we don't know about it won't be front page news anymore, won't even be back page once the football season gets underway. The question is, without the negative PR generated by it being the dominant topic, does this story have any legs?

Yes. Yes it does. It hasn’t died down as much as you think, just no new news over the weekend... it’s sunday morning.  

It might die down for a bit but once the season starts every time OSU visits a stadium (with or without) Urban fans are going to say stuff and signs will popup at game day, especially with Herbstreit 

There's nothing else going on in the world of sports. There won't be until college football starts. This isn't going away.

Another point I saw somewhere else. Meyer is currently on paid administrative leave. Hypothetical scenario: IF Ohio State brings him back and something else vaguely similar to this happens again, Ohio State could be sued for bringing back a guy that enabled this in the past.

• Plus1 5