WR Zane Abner

Player: Zane Abner

Hometown: Atkinson, NE

Position: WR

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 181

40 time: 4.72

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska (grey shirt)

Favorites: Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: A real interesting athlete. He doesn’t posses great speed, doesn’t weigh that much, nor does he play against great competition. We’ll never confuse Western Nebraska football for West Dallas, Texas football. But and the big but is he seems to make plays. He’s always in the right spot.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50% Callahan has a good plan in place. If Abner commits, he’ll be placed on scholarship after his sophomore season.

• 3 months later...

In the Spotlight: Zane Abner

The West Holt senior receiver, a 6-foot-4 Division I prospect, moved to running back after injuries struck the Huskies' backfield. In his first game at the position, he ran for 150 yards and two touchdowns in 18 carries last week as West Holt improved to 1-3 with a 39-21 win over Randolph. Abner has drawn interest from Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Colorado State and Wyoming. West Holt plays Friday at Creighton, No. 7 in Class C-2.

Zane Abner

Q: You're 6-foot-4. How often do you get corners who match up well with you in C-2?

A: Not too much. The first game they just moved a safety over, and the next two games I had double coverage. Through those two games I had one reception, which is frustrating. But you're taking two guys out of the play.

Q: What goals do you have for the rest of the season?

A: I want to win a couple more games. I don't really set personal goals, I guess.

Q: How did it feel to get that first "W"?

A: It felt good. I actually played running back that game. Our fullback tore his ACL in the third week. It was the first time I had played it since junior high.

Q: Are the plans to keep you at running back?

A: For right now I think so. Maybe motion me out so they can't double me. We have a couple tougher teams coming up, so we'll see.

- Nick Rubek