Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

This is where I'm at as well.  Another thing I would like to see is the players looking like they want to be out there and having fun.  I think football stopped being fun for a lot of them during the Riley regime.  No more going through the tunnel walk before tOSU with their heads hung like they are going to a funeral.  The last game I really recall them looking like they were having fun was the Oregon game at home - that game was awesome to be at.  UCF on the other hand, looked like they were having fun in just about every game I watched, both on the field and on the sideline.

Yep. Flipping the culture and attitude is going to be a lot more important than all this talk about talent and flipping the roster. We can't expect players to perform, no matter how good they are, if they don't trust the coaches, don't put in the work and seemingly don't really want to be there. I guess that is why I am expecting a much bigger improvement this year than many hereabouts are forecasting.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, RedSavage said:

This is where I'm at as well.  Another thing I would like to see is the players looking like they want to be out there and having fun.  I think football stopped being fun for a lot of them during the Riley regime.  No more going through the tunnel walk before tOSU with their heads hung like they are going to a funeral.  The last game I really recall them looking like they were having fun was the Oregon game at home - that game was awesome to be at.  UCF on the other hand, looked like they were having fun in just about every game I watched, both on the field and on the sideline.

I think this point is highlighted by several kids quiting football but staying at NU. They weren't having fun anymore and that bleeds over to teammates. 

6 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I feel like every game we play this season will be a BLOWOUT or a SHOOTOUT.  We will blow the bad ones out and lose a couple shoot outs. I do not see us scoring less then 30 in any game. Just a feeling.

I agree with you for the most part, but I think there will be a couple games this year where the offense will have a bit of a stinker.  Even though I really like the offense and the potential at QB, it's a new system to the players, and there will be a first-time starter at QB.  That is going to lead to some inconsistencies during this season.

I do expect the offense to be fully humming by the end of the season and in 2019.

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

I feel like every game we play this season will be a BLOWOUT or a SHOOTOUT.  We will blow the bad ones out and lose a couple shoot outs. I do not see us scoring less then 30 in any game. Just a feeling.

I sure hope you are right.  Expecting 30 every game seems pretty lofty when you view who and where we play this year, the rookie under center, and trying to learn a new system.  

7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

For Cally and MR, when they were hired it was like getting underwear for Christmas.

Callahan might have been like getting underwear for Christmas, but Riley was like waking up on Christmas morning and finding that Santa took a dump in your stocking.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I sure hope you are right.  Expecting 30 every game seems pretty lofty when you view who and where we play this year, the rookie under center, and trying to learn a new system.  

That's a tough number for anybody to hit every single week. UCF did accomplish it as the number 1 scoring offense, hitting 31 points twice. Oklahoma, the nation's number 3 scoring offense just missed it, hitting 29 once and 31 twice. That's with arguably the top 2 QBs in the country last year. 

It's a lot tougher than it looks to do it every week.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yep. Flipping the culture and attitude is going to be a lot more important than all this talk about talent and flipping the roster. We can't expect players to perform, no matter how good they are, if they don't trust the coaches, don't put in the work and seemingly don't really want to be there. I guess that is why I am expecting a much bigger improvement this year than many hereabouts are forecasting.

Agree. I feel the same. I think we could see a huge flip just by getting the kids to actually try and believe and care. Heck just look at the weight room gains. How many of these guys gained 20-50lbs of good weight. That in itself is flipping the roster- new talent yes but transforming worthless players into contributors 

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I know.  I gotcha.  This board is my only avenue for being a little childish sometimes.  Maybe it distracts me from how old I am getting.  Anyways, I have friends who are fans of both MSU and UW.  We enjoy ribbing each other about our teams.  I do, however try to limit my inappropriateness to the keyboard and not take it to the stadium.  Treat all visiting fans and people with respect and everybody wins.

Zero reason to apologize, Wisconsin can suck it.  Be yo self.

• Plus1 1