Favorite Husker Memories

I guess I'll answer the questions now. I'll stick to games I've been at in person. 

Most fun: Probably 2003 Oklahoma State. My first game in person. 
Most satisfying: 2007 Kansas State. Putting the throttle to KSUcks and Josh Freeman, and knowing that it was Callahan's last game. 
Loudest: A tie between 2006 Texas and 2013 Northwestern. In particular, Nate Swift to Marlon Lucky and the Hail Mary. 
Most disappointing: 2009 Iowa State. Holy hell, that was awful. 
Best OT: I've only been to two, so we'll say 2005 Iowa State by default. 

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Most fun:  First trip to Northwestern.
Most satisfying:  OU game at night about 10 years ago
Loudest:  OU game at night about 10 years ago
Most disappointing:  The last 3 years
Best OT:  Can't really remember.

You should really cut back on drinking before and during the game if you black out before the end of the game:rollin

• Plus1 1

Most fun: Michigan St ‘15. Reluctantly went to the game because a friend was in town. Was happily surprised to see us win.

Most Satisfying: every win over Washington. Growing up in husky territory it is great to laugh off their excuses and bitterness.

Loudest: Miami ‘14, especially after the scuffles

Dissapponting: Miami ‘15. The OT INT was a similar play as earlier in the game where TA scrambled away and threw another 50/50 ball when Cethan Carter was sneaking wide open from the LOS. Heartbreaking after the 4th qtr rally followed by Alex Lewis’ penalty. Stupid play call too.

Best OT: Kansas ‘06. Was the week following my 21st birthday and flew in with Dad and brothers to celebrate.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Eric Hagg saved that game. His break on the two-point conversion attempt was insane. The guy in the blue circle is the receiver. Look at the separation just after the snap. Hagg made up all that ground for the winning INT.  Fantastic play.

czn04h2.png

I watched that one with an Iowa State alum.  That play was deeply satisfying.

The guy was pissing and moaning for half the game about how dirty Nebraska was because Prince Amukamara made an awkward tackle.  Then their linebacker literally tried to snap Burkhead's neck.  He was awfully quiet after that.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Stolen from Twitter:

Which games fit this description for you?  Games you've seen in person or on TV

Most fun? 
Most satisfying?
Loudest?
Most disappointing?
Best OT?

A few people above have decided to stick with games they saw in person. I'm from the West Coast and don't get back to Lincoln for a lot of games...so my in-person memories are limited. But I'll just stick with in-person memories anyway. 

Most Fun? - 1984 NU vs UCLA. (went to the game with a bunch of Bruin fans and the Huskers battered them 42 - 3. And I wouldn't let them leave early...hahaha). 

Most Satisfying? - 2000 Fiesta Bowl (beat Tennessee 31-21 and Frankie ran the offense like the TO)

Loudest? Funny story. 1998 NU vs Cal in Berkley. More than half the stadium was dressed in red. At one point Cal was backed up against the end zone and it got so loud the Cal QB went to the ref and put his hands over his ear holes to ask for relief (QBs used to do that). The ref just waved him back to the line...what was the ref supposed to do? Penalize the home team? Hahaha. 

Most disappointing? 2001 Rose Bowl. I know NU was outmatched so I shouldn't have been so disappointed, but it was for the National Title, so it stung. 

Best OT? I've never seen the Huskers play an OT game in person. 

• Plus1 2

I don't get to many games living here in Tulsa but any that I make to (in Lincoln and those in Okla - boy I miss the Big 12 games in OKla) are a favorite just to see my Huskers in person. 

Most fun game was the 2004 OSU (OK State) game @ Lincoln.  It was the first game of the season and Frank had a new staff wt Bo as the new DC.  The crowd was pumped and loud and the D won that game - 10-7 or 10-6.

Most Satisfying:  As I posted above wt the 95 Orange Bowl clip - the win over Miami erased a lot of bad memories and healed a lot of wounds to the heart. (I wasn't at the game)

Loudest - the 2004 OSU game 

Most Disappointing -  too many to count(recently) but for those that mattered:   - 83 NC game, 94 Orange Bowl/NC game against FSU,  2000 OU game at Norman ( I was at that game).  We were ranked # 1 and sooners were rising and would eventually win the NC. ,  99 Texas game - I believe we would have won the NC that year except for the fumble across the goal line.

Best OT - vs Missouri 1997 - without that win, no NC. (and maybe no ground swell for Frost to become our HC 20 years later)

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Stolen from Twitter:

Which games fit this description for you?  Games you've seen in person or on TV

Most fun? 
Most satisfying?
Loudest?
Most disappointing?
Best OT?

I'm just going to talk about the ones I've seen in person.  Most fun was probably that game against KSU when the dude's helmet came off on the kick return...  That was pretty satisfying, too.  The loudest was probably the one against Texas late in the Callahan era.  Nunn fumbled a pass that cost us a chance at a winning FG, I believe, in that one.  The most disappointing game was against Mizzou.  We had the Westboro folks in attendance so that was fun explaining to my young child at the time...and then things were pretty much over by halftime.  All we had to hope for was that we'd knock Gabbert around when he came in to relieve Chase Daniels.  The only OT game I've been to was against Notre Dame in their stadium.  What I remember about that one was how "low-class" Davie was to blame his QB afterward for not going for the win at the end of regulation.

• Plus1 1

Most fun?  Probably @ Baylor in 97' It was rainy and nasty so the stands were pretty empty, and that team was just unbelievable to watch. They were light lightning on that turf. They also let us on the field after and I got to jump up and slap Wistrom on the shoulder pad (I was like 12 at the time so he was taller than me).  Everyone was huddled around Frost getting autographs but Wistrom was my idol at that time so I was floating. I did forget to put film in my camera though so I had quite a disappointing next day lol. 

Most satisfying?  Probably the A&M comeback in '06 i think it was. We were way up in the nosebleeds and it was a pretty crappy game right up until the end. We got lucky enough to be in the perfect corner of the endzone for the purify catch. 

Loudest?  Ive only made the trek up to Memorial stadium once and that was 2010 Missouri.  I'm sure it wasnt the loudest game ever but those late game 3rd downs the crowd was going nuts. (A&M gets a close second on this one too. That place gets damn loud.)

Most disappointing?  '99 vs UT in Austin. The refs were letting them get away with an insane amount of holding, and I'm not sure if it was on Solich or Crouch but it felt like we had a delay of game or close to one every play on offense. The home fans were s#!tty all game and after.  Lost all respect for UT fans after that game and even heard later they threw trash at our team as they were leaving. 

Best OT?  Never been to and OT game in person but the closest was probably the Alamo Bowl vs Michigan. That ending was weird and way too close for comfort. Hopefully Frost instills that mentality of playing every play through till the end. 

• Plus1 2

Two games at Missouri fit both the most fun and most satisfying......1997 and 2009.

Most disappointing is Colorado in 2001.

It wasn't the loudest per se, but in 2009 at Columbia most of the Missouri fans had left halfway through the fourth quarter and chants of "Go Big Red" were very loud in the post monsoon night.

• Plus1 1

Disclaimer - I have seen none of these in person, so categories like "loudest" is subjective.

Most fun?   
I thoroughly enjoyed watching TMart destroy KSucks repeatedly

Most satisfying?

Beating Missou after they had just beaten OU the week before, and we welcomed them back to earth.  Helu was unreal.

Loudest?

I have it on good authority that it was pretty loud when Henery made the 57 yard field goal,  and then Suh finished off the puffs, and it certainly did sound loud over the tv!

Most disappointing?  
:01  ... but at least we got to see vintage SUH

Best OT?

I think I will abstain from this one, as most of the OT games were against teams we should have put away to begin with, or outright lost anyway.

• Plus1 1

Every win over OU was great except maybe the last couple seasons when OU had fallen into the abyss.   It still was great to rout OU that one year.

Every romp over CU was great.   That Halloween massacre was special.

Not sure when the loudest games were - its really hard to tell if its windy, etc.  

Every loss to OU was tragic and many in the mid to late 70s were gut wrenching 78 being the exception.

Florida State in Lincolon one year was 'the hottest' game ever played, maybe anywhere.  I recall it was about 114 degrees or so in the stands and hotter on the field turf.   They were carrying out the EMTs on stretchers as they became overcome from the heat.  Florida State enjoyed the shade in late third and fourth quarters while the Huskers continued to bake throughout.  It took its toll.   And true to form of 'all kinds of weather' a couple weeks later we played Iowa State as I recall and it snowed. 

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Every win over OU was great except maybe the last couple seasons when OU had fallen into the abyss.   It still was great to rout OU that one year.

Every romp over CU was great.   That Halloween massacre was special.

Not sure when the loudest games were - its really hard to tell if its windy, etc.  

Every loss to OU was tragic and many in the mid to late 70s were gut wrenching 78 being the exception.

Florida State in Lincolon one year was 'the hottest' game ever played, maybe anywhere.  I recall it was about 114 degrees or so in the stands and hotter on the field turf.   They were carrying out the EMTs on stretchers as they became overcome from the heat.  Florida State enjoyed the shade in late third and fourth quarters while the Huskers continued to bake throughout.  It took its toll.   And true to form of 'all kinds of weather' a couple weeks later we played Iowa State as I recall and it snowed. 

OU hit a few rough patches in the mid 90s but throughout most of the ‘00s, they were back and better than us. 

Most fun? Miami 2014
Most satisfying? Miami 2014
Loudest? Miami 2014
Most disappointing? VT 2009 because that is the last game my father watched before passing away, and the Huskers blew it.
Best OT? 2014 Iowa

There was just something different about that night in September 2014 against Miami.  For one night it felt like things were back to the old normal, and that was the most electric I have seen the stadium in the 50+ games I have been to in the last 15 years.

• Plus1 1

Most fun?  Nov. 2, 2013 Geronimo!!!  Watching Jordan Westerstache catch that Hail Mary from Ron Kelloge for the win!  SO FUN!

Most satisfying?  Jan. 01, 1995: Nebraska 24, Miami 17

Loudest?  Not sure

Most disappointing?  Dec. 2009 Losing to Texass in the Big 12 Championship game.  1 second I'll never forget.

Best OT? Nov. 08, 1997 The Immaculate Deflection when Matt Davidson caught that flipped ball at Missouri! 

• Plus1 1