CBS Sports: It's clear Nebraska is poised for quick success with Scott Frost

he's still just a 43-year-old with two years of head coaching experience

True about the HC experience.  But also 13 years assistant coaching and GA experience.  Plus 5 years in the NFL.  That's a lot of time spent around football.  

That said, I think there are a LOT of Husker fans who have unreasonable expectations about the rate at which SF will turn things around in Lincoln.  Just sayin.. 

• Plus1 4

I agree - expectations do seem high.  All of that comes so much from the feeling that this staff at this exact time is so right for Nebraska and the fact that this staff will clearly talk about fixing the issues that have been holding this program back.

I think the “high expectations” also hold a bit of desperation, because a lot of fans feel like this is the last Hail Mary to save NU.  Because man, if this staff can’t get it done ... I don’t even want to think about that. 

I'm keeping my expectations at bay and trying to correct those Husker fans around me that seem to think we're going to win the NC next year or the year after. The schedule this year is BRUTAL, if we win 6 games with this schedule during a rebuild I'm going to make sure I'm happy about that. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, NUance said:

That said, I think there are a LOT of Husker fans who have unreasonable expectations about the rate at which SF will turn things around in Lincoln.  Just sayin.. 

I would normally tend to strongly agree, but before I can type it out he's gone out and accomplished something else. This transition to date has been so smooth and things are lining up so far ahead of schedule that I don't even know what reasonable means in this context anymore. 

11 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm keeping my expectations at bay and trying to correct those Husker fans around me that seem to think we're going to win the NC next year or the year after. The schedule this year is BRUTAL, if we win 6 games with this schedule during a rebuild I'm going to make sure I'm happy about that. 

I keep hearing that the schedule is 'BRUTAL", but I still don't see it that way.  Yes, at Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are going to be very tough games, but I still see Northwestern, Iowa, and Michigan State as very winnable games, especially considering the final month of the season is when I expect NU to be playing the best football (unless the team is decimated by injuries).

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, NUance said:

I think you're right. I'm ready for a rough 2018, and will be pleasantly surprised if it's good. The guys have been in a poor coaching situation for three years, and Frost's regime has been here less than a year. I don't expect magic from these coaches, and I expect the guys to revert to old habits in critical situations. 

It'll be better in 2019, but the schedule is pretty rugged again. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It'll be better in 2019, but the schedule is pretty rugged again. 

Indeed they do have a lot of work to do, but assuming they get their poop in a group, I see double digit wins on the 2019 schedule. 

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Indeed they do have a lot of work to do, but assuming they get their poop in a group, I see double digit wins on the 2019 schedule. 

Yea,  have tempered expectations for '18. in '19 you swap Michigan and MSU for Indiana and Maryland. Then you have to think Nebraska will improve to a point where they're favored in most other games, particularly in division. You have Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa at home.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I keep hearing that the schedule is 'BRUTAL", but I still don't see it that way.  Yes, at Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are going to be very tough games, but I still see Northwestern, Iowa, and Michigan State as very winnable games, especially considering the final month of the season is when I expect NU to be playing the best football (unless the team is decimated by injuries).

There's a good chance we may be overvaluing the difficulty of the schedule in some areas. Many of us having been staring at this schedule for years with some apprehension and anxiety, but once the team is in the thick of it, it's possible it may not be as bad as anticipated.

That said, I think the reality is that the five (presumably) toughest games on the schedule as of today are all on the road, and road games are inherently more difficult as a norm. I think the narrative would be a little different were these games more balanced between home and away.

• Plus1 1