CBS Sports: It's clear Nebraska is poised for quick success with Scott Frost

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There are a lot of people who insist that Fitz is a great coach.  I do give him credit for getting more wins that you'd expect from the school that he's at.  But it's not like he's the only one who's won there either.

And from what I've seen from him in-game, I wouldn't put him in the "great" category by any stretch.  Maybe he's very good in the development part of the job but I wouldn't even consider him average from a game-management perspective (from the admittedly small sample size of his games that I've watched).

I think we'll be able to get a much sharper view on whether Fitz is a very good coach once NW's new facilities are ready to go.  Outside of the obvious academic challenges NW's terrible facilities were one of the main hindrances for NW.  Now that being said, I don't see Fitz going anywhere unless he really craters as he just signed a 10 year extension.  Three 10 win seasons in the past 6 years is going to buy him lots and lots of goodwill.  Personally, I think Fitz is a pretty middle of the road coach.  His teams will always be pretty disciplined and play hard but once Nebraska gets up and going (at least to where we hope NU is going) Nebraska should be able to handle NW pretty handily.  

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You should get it, because it is the same reason people love Mike Riley.  Decent coach, but a really nice, upstanding, likeable guy. If you are a mediocre coach, but a jerk, (or at least appear outwardly like one), it will be the opposite reaction by the hordes. Aka, Bo Pelini.

Plus, you throw in the fact that Fitz was an All-American at NW in the 90s, led them to a Rose Bowl, and took over as HC after Randy Walker suddenly died, it's easy to see why the NW fans give him the outpouring of support.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

You should get it, because it is the same reason people love Mike Riley.  Decent coach, but a really nice, upstanding, likeable guy. If you are a mediocre coach, but a jerk, (or at least appear outwardly like one), it will be the opposite reaction by the hordes. Aka, Bo Pelini.

44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus, you throw in the fact that Fitz was an All-American at NW in the 90s, led them to a Rose Bowl, and took over as HC after Randy Walker suddenly died, it's easy to see why the NW fans give him the outpouring of support.

Northwestern has only had two coaches with overall winning records since the end of WWII.  Ara Parseghian and Pat Fitzgerald.  Maybe that's why they like Fitz. 

7 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

It will be a building season, but I think we beat Michigan, their coach is too c$%ky and thinks he's good. We wont upset OSU and I think we beat Northwestern, and Iowa.  Wisconsin might be close but who knows.  I expect a bowl game at 6-6 but I think we win 8 this season because teams simply don't know what to expect out of us.

Our coach is pretty c$%ky, too.  Hated it when he was a player, kinda dig it now when he's a coach.

I'm tempering my expectations. A tough schedule, new scheme, new coaches, brand new QB, possibly new center etc.....Throw in the fact that buy in and attitude are great until you're punched in the mouth.  People don't rise to the level of their expectations, but the sink to the level of their training.  Some guys, might get punched and go back to the old ways.....  I hope not.  

I do think we have the ability to go 7-5 0r 8-4.  Also surprise a team who has this game chalked as a win.  Maybe even 2.

Schedules 'strength' o'ften changes as the season goes by as some 'tough' games become not so tough when teams falter, injuries happen, etc.  You really need to carefully take into consideration the two or three games each of our opponents have prior to their game with us.   Sometimes, an opponent gets a couple losses and come in discouraged and beaten down mentally.   While they may be a wounded animal sometimes, often the wind is taken out of their sales.  We're no longer the 'bowl' game for most teams but if we're playing more like we once did, we could become more feared sooner than people think.  We need to play with confidence and play like ferocious beasts for the entire game, each and every snap.

Frost needs to light the fire and pour on the fuel.   We may surprise people.   IMO we need the O line and QB to come up big and we'll win 8 or more plus a bowl game as well.   If not, it will be a long season.

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I keep seeing tough schedule everywhere and while it may be, when are we going to get an easy schedule? Eventually we are just going to have to navigate a tough slate because there won't be an easy season.

Funny how when you have a bad team your schedule looks really tough.

• Plus1 6
13 hours ago, NUance said:

True about the HC experience.  But also 13 years assistant coaching and GA experience.  Plus 5 years in the NFL.  That's a lot of time spent around football.  

That said, I think there are a LOT of Husker fans who have unreasonable expectations about the rate at which SF will turn things around in Lincoln.  Just sayin.. 

Natty this year!

13 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm keeping my expectations at bay and trying to correct those Husker fans around me that seem to think we're going to win the NC next year or the year after. The schedule this year is BRUTAL, if we win 6 games with this schedule during a rebuild I'm going to make sure I'm happy about that. 

Natty this year and next!

• Plus1 1