GSG

How do you deal with food pushers?

A little backstory here: I'm trying to lose some weight (again) and I've been pretty good about logging my food (Lose It app) and getting daily exercise. During the week I'm an early riser (5 or 515 am) and then I take the dog on a decent walk. I usually eat my breakfast at around 630 or 7. I take an early lunch (11 am) so we have coverage at work.  I usually have a snack in the afternoon and try to workout after work for at least 30 minutes or take the dog on another (longer) walk. My gf and I have been really trying to increase our veggie intake instead of carbs and sugars. We've been spiralizing veggies for pasta, etc.

Anyway, at least a couple times a week a coworker tries to force me to have what amounts to a second breakfast: breakfast burritos, bagels, donuts, etc. They're SUPER insistent that I absolutely HAVE to have something to eat. I've explained to them so many times that I've already eaten. If it's something planned ahead (sometimes we do breakfast for birthdays instead of cake/ice cream) then I will adjust my other meals/snacks to accommodate the festivities.

So my question is, how do you deal with these food pushers? I came pretty close to losing my s#!t this morning as 2 of my coworkers were hammering me about having a breakfast burrito after I had already told them I had eaten breakfast.

• Plus1 2

Drop the burrito on the floor, grind your heel into it, all while staring your coworker in the eye. Turn around and walk away.

• Plus1 8

But really, in our office, it seems that everyone is on some sort of unusual dietary experiment (myself included). However, whenever we have some sort of celebration, everyone will bring in a bunch of food that no one wants to eat, so much of it simply sits there. But no one harasses each other about their food choices. Maybe you should take on a sad expression and ask your coworkers to respect your dietary needs. Give them a little guilt trip. Honestly, they are being pretty rude to you.

• Plus1 2

Maybe just say, "I've already had breakfast, but I'll join you for a cup of coffee."  

If that doesn't work do what Ulty said about grinding the burrito into the floor with your heel.  lol  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Ulty said:

But really, in our office, it seems that everyone is on some sort of unusual dietary experiment (myself included). However, whenever we have some sort of celebration, everyone will bring in a bunch of food that no one wants to eat, so much of it simply sits there. But no one harasses each other about their food choices. Maybe you should take on a sad expression and ask your coworkers to respect your dietary needs. Give them a little guilt trip. Honestly, they are being pretty rude to you.

The part that kills me is that most of the people in our office are always talking about their "diets." We have a few on keto, a few on some "shake" diets, etc.

I went through this a lot when I started my new job almost two years ago and it was a big cultural shift from my previous job - people here eat a lot of junk food, bring treats all the time and generally are less aware of their health.

My advice is to stick to your guns, set the tone and, if necessary, be forcefully direct. One thing that stopped people from harassing me was they would see all the healthy food I brought for lunch and realized that I just wasn't going to partake in a lot of unhealthy eating habits.

Another strategy is to just be up front and honest with them by saying something like - 'Healthy eating and watching what I eat right now is very important to my health, so it would really help me if you all respect these decisions and no longer try to get me to eat things I've repeatedly said I don't want to eat.'

Last resort, head to HR. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it may be necessary.

• Plus1 3

I have a few coworkers that are constantly organizing food days, ice cream days, pizza days, etc. For every little occasion they want to force carbs and sugar into the office. What bothered me most was they were always going around with "Sign up sheets" and demanding to know what I was going to contribute. I politely declined the first couple times, but it was incessant. 

I ended up sending an email to them with our supervisors CC'd and said something like "I appreciate the inclusion for the food days however I am adhering to a diet and am requesting to not be included in any future food days." 

In my family my wife is the food pusher.  She always makes a large supper meal.  It's generally pretty good, so I eat way more than I need.  Lately, I've been eating earlier than usual, by myself, to avoid overeating at her daily banquet feast meals.  I'll often fill up on vegetables or fruit, and I've cut back on consuming bread, pasta and meat.  That, and I've been trying to drink a lot of water, and get a fair amount of exercise in each day.   I've dropped ~ 15 lbs this spring and summer.  I'd like to drop another 10 lbs or so.  *like*

Talk to HR and file a complaint.  Explain that the burrito reminds you of a penis and you view this is sexual harassment in the workplace.  Contact the ACLU and inform of how you are being treated and document EVERYTHING.  Let your employer know that you will seek restitution if the co-workers are not forced to take a sensitivity class and/or terminated.  

Or just stay out of the office lounge area.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

A little backstory here: I'm trying to lose some weight (again) and I've been pretty good about logging my food (Lose It app) and getting daily exercise. During the week I'm an early riser (5 or 515 am) and then I take the dog on a decent walk. I usually eat my breakfast at around 630 or 7. I take an early lunch (11 am) so we have coverage at work.  I usually have a snack in the afternoon and try to workout after work for at least 30 minutes or take the dog on another (longer) walk. My gf and I have been really trying to increase our veggie intake instead of carbs and sugars. We've been spiralizing veggies for pasta, etc.

Anyway, at least a couple times a week a coworker tries to force me to have what amounts to a second breakfast: breakfast burritos, bagels, donuts, etc. They're SUPER insistent that I absolutely HAVE to have something to eat. I've explained to them so many times that I've already eaten. If it's something planned ahead (sometimes we do breakfast for birthdays instead of cake/ice cream) then I will adjust my other meals/snacks to accommodate the festivities.

So my question is, how do you deal with these food pushers? I came pretty close to losing my s#!t this morning as 2 of my coworkers were hammering me about having a breakfast burrito after I had already told them I had eaten breakfast.

That's bizarre. What business is it of theirs what you eat or when?

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I went through this a lot when I started my new job almost two years ago and it was a big cultural shift from my previous job - people here eat a lot of junk food, bring treats all the time and generally are less aware of their health.

My advice is to stick to your guns, set the tone and, if necessary, be forcefully direct. One thing that stopped people from harassing me was they would see all the healthy food I brought for lunch and realized that I just wasn't going to partake in a lot of unhealthy eating habits.

Another strategy is to just be up front and honest with them by saying something like - 'Healthy eating and watching what I eat right now is very important to my health, so it would really help me if you all respect these decisions and no longer try to get me to eat things I've repeatedly said I don't want to eat.'

Last resort, head to HR. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it may be necessary.

+1 here and good suggestions with the other responses to the other posters.  The only tweak I would make to @Enhance's direct statement would be to include something to the effect of 'When I tell you I'm not interested in joining you for breakfast and you insist anyway it makes me feel like "fill in the blank".  I used to work in what sounds like a similar office to you and I had especially thickheaded co-workers who just couldn't take a hint.  I tried using dead faced cold language "No."  Didn't work.  I tried using jokes, "Ahh geez, I just can't I'm getting older and the 'ol metabolism isn't what it once was."  I finally had to tap into my old Emotional Intelligence books and it finally worked.  This sounds particularly exhausting and I'm sorry you're going through a frankly stupid situation at work.

The sarcastic part of me wants you to tell your co-workers that you don't need to eat at work because you know how to budget your time effectively and are able to eat before coming into work.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I have a few coworkers that are constantly organizing food days, ice cream days, pizza days, etc. For every little occasion they want to force carbs and sugar into the office. What bothered me most was they were always going around with "Sign up sheets" and demanding to know what I was going to contribute. I politely declined the first couple times, but it was incessant. 

I ended up sending an email to them with our supervisors CC'd and said something like "I appreciate the inclusion for the food days however I am adhering to a diet and am requesting to not be included in any future food days." 

Ugh, I had this situation too.  It took a while but after I repeatedly told these people that I planned to contribute, "Nothing."  They finally took the hint.  It took a serious death stare and some hostile body language to get the point across though.  

• Plus1 1

I had this happen to me for about 9 or 10 years...food was constantly put on my plate without my expressed permission and I rarely had a say in what I was going to eat.  Sometimes, get this, I was force fed and sometimes I was verbally threatened...I was told that if I didn't finish everything on my plate I would not get any snacks later.  It sucked and I didn't know how to handle it so I just waited it out until I got to college.  I just had to wait it out...Moms can really be tough.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I had this happen to me for about 9 or 10 years...food was constantly put on my plate without my expressed permission and I rarely had a say in what I was going to eat.  Sometimes, get this, I was force fed and sometimes I was verbally threatened...I was told that if I didn't finish everything on my plate I would not get any snacks later.  It sucked and I didn't know how to handle it so I just waited it out until I got to college.

:cop:

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

:cop:

Ha!  Sorry...I have worked with basically all older and very nice women for years...they bring in stuff ALL THE TIME and I know what GSG is going through, I avoid the lounge at all costs.

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I feel this. Donuts always seems to be the go-to snack for people to bring and share in most places that I have worked. So cheap and easy. While I do admire and appreciate the gesture, donuts are some of the worst things that humans can put in our bodies.

Of course, I try to eat healthy most of the time, and then I really want a frickin' donut when they are sitting there staring at me.

What are some ideas for healthy foods that are easy to share? Sometimes I try to contribute a veggie tray or some fruit for these sorts of events, but the trays you get at the grocery store can get pretty expensive. Anyone have other ideas?

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's bizarre. What business is it of theirs what you eat or when?

I've worked with most of these people for 4 or 5 years and knew them through my old branch for another 4 or 5 years. Some of it is probably my fault because there have been times where I just didn't give sh#t what I was eating (as evidenced by the pile of clothes I have for donation now). I don't mind a potluck or whatever as long as it's planned ahead. It's when it's a "surprise" thing and they try to make it seem like I'm obligated to eat

@Ulty Veggie trays are really great, but I also like to make homemade sweet potato chips, steamed edamame or there are some pretty healthy vegan dips I've found online that a lot of people have enjoyed at football parties and such.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

steamed edamame

First time I saw edamame I didn't know how to eat it. I chewed on the whole thing and, while the beans inside were good, the pod was fibrous and gross.

Felt like a dope when I found out how you're supposed to eat it.  :D

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

First time I saw edamame I didn't know how to eat it. I chewed on the whole thing and, while the beans inside were good, the pod was fibrous and gross.

I just realized I don't know how to eat it, either. How's it done?

Just now, Ulty said:

I just realized I don't know how to eat it, either. How's it done?

Split the pod, the beans loosen, eat the beans, discard the pod.

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Split the pod, the beans loosen, eat the beans, discard the pod.

Ha ha!  You throw the pods away?  WTH??  I suppose you peel your apples before eating them too!  

When I eat something, I pretty much eat all of it.  Apples, potatoes, edamame, you name it.  Peelings, seeds and all!  :D 

12 minutes ago, NUance said:

Ha ha!  You throw the pods away?  WTH??  I suppose you peel your apples before eating them too!  

When I eat something, I pretty much eat all of it.  Apples, potatoes, edamame, you name it.  Peelings, seeds and all!  :D 

Even bananas & sunflower seeds?

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Even bananas & sunflower seeds?

Those are two exceptions, along with orange peels, watermelon rinds and probably some I can't think of right now.  I've tried them all.  They don't taste good at all. 

One thing I like that others probably don't eat are seeds in fruit, like the little cherry and apricot seeds inside the shells.  I've read that they contain trace amounts of a cyanide precursor.  But I've also read that you'd have to eat around 1,000 cherry seeds to feel the effect of the cyanide.  I don't eat that many.  

7 minutes ago, NUance said:

Those are two exceptions, along with orange peels, watermelon rinds and probably some I can't think of right now.  I've tried them all.  They don't taste good at all. 

One thing I like that others probably don't eat are seeds in fruit, like the little cherry and apricot seeds inside the shells.  I've read that they contain trace amounts of a cyanide precursor.  But I've also read that you'd have to eat around 1,000 cherry seeds to feel the effect of the cyanide.  I don't eat that many.  

@NUance has spent the last few years building up an immunity to cyanide precursor.

Image result for iocaine immunity

• Plus1 5

@GSG Is the problem just that they are annoying and pushy or is it really challenging your efforts to eat more healthy?  Just curious.

I haven't worked in a large office setting for quite awhile and when I did I was usually willing to eat whatever freebies people were tossing around. Can't say as anyone other than my mother-in-law has ever been overly pushy with food and that is just usually annoying. "Here, take some sandwiches with you".....as we're departing on a 7 hour road trip back to Colorado and immediately following eating a meal of some sort.......:facepalm:

56 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

@GSG Is the problem just that they are annoying and pushy or is it really challenging your efforts to eat more healthy?  Just curious.

A little bit of both I guess. If I know it's in the breakroom I'll definitely think about it during the day but I've been able to stay away from that stuff lately. But they spent about 15 minutes trying to get me to eat that burrito this morning. 

Came home tonight and the Seinfeld episode "The Frogger" was on. Elaine berates her coworkers for constantly creating reasons to buy cakes for the office :lol:

I have the opposite problem - the school's wellness committee keeps shoving green smoothies and other health food down our throats.  One time the announced before hand some sort of healthy frozen ice cream substitute, so I made sure I brought a half pint of Ben and Jerry's butter pecan ice cream on hand to eat in front of them.  Several teachers wanted to know where I got it

45 minutes ago, GSG said:

A little bit of both I guess. If I know it's in the breakroom I'll definitely think about it during the day but I've been able to stay away from that stuff lately. But they spent about 15 minutes trying to get me to eat that burrito this morning. 

Came home tonight and the Seinfeld episode "The Frogger" was on. Elaine berates her coworkers for constantly creating reasons to buy cakes for the office :lol:

I would struggle mightily with breakfast burritos. You might say they are a weakness of mine.:lol: But you could pretend to be a burrito snob. Just tell 'em "if it ain't so and so type of burrito, I'm not eating it". Then, if they bring those in, change the type you prefer. 

Start your own campaign to annoy everyone into NOT eating the food because they're all getting fatter and unhealthier and driving up your healthcare costs. And be super-unreasonable about it.

• Plus1 1

I am married to a food pusher.  When i was first trying to lose, i did have to lose my sh*t on him for him to finally realize that it just wasn't going to fly anymore.  I had been polite and soft spoken for long enough in our marriage and all it got me was fat and was starting to eat better and here he was, trying to sabatage me at every turn.   

On 7/26/2018 at 12:35 PM, knapplc said:

I did the same thing.

• Plus1 1

My mother in law was a food pusher.  I would be in a restaurant with her and all of s sudden her food would end up on my plate. 

Man it would puss me off. I got fairly stern with her a few times and it stopped. 

If if the person is being really pushy, sometimes you have to push back harder till they get the message. 

Even when people aren’t pushing food, it’s annoying that every celebration has to have cake or pie or cookies. Like I feel pressured at my own birthday party to eat the cake someone made for me without asking if I wanted it made. They’re not pushing it on me at the party but there is still the pressure of guilt for not eating what someone made for me. 

It makes me want to eat by myself as often as I can.

I think this is a lot worse with men though. I had a job where the head boss guy would always try to pressure all of his male suboordinates to eat more cake at every dumb party we had and he would single out the bigger guys to eat more. 

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Even when people aren’t pushing food, it’s annoying that every celebration has to have cake or pie or cookies. Like I feel pressured at my own birthday party to eat the cake someone made for me without asking if I wanted it made. They’re not pushing it on me at the party but there is still the pressure of guilt for not eating what someone made for me. 

It makes me want to eat by myself as often as I can.

I think this is a lot worse with men though. I had a job where the head boss guy would always try to pressure all of his male suboordinates to eat more cake at every dumb party we had and he would single out the bigger guys to eat more. 

They forgot my birthday at work last year. Best gift for my waistline ever!

Succumbing to peer pressure via a "food pusher" seems weird. 

Back when I worked in manufacturing the "big bosses" would sometimes buy the shifts pizza for hitting certain production measures, or safety goals. I usually missed out, because I refused to eat pizza that had been picked through by 15-20 nasty bastards. On more than one occasion I was asked why I wasn't partaking, and I was always honest with them....:dunno 

On 7/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, GSG said:

Tell them you are allergic to whatever they are trying to give you.  Works for me although in most cases its because I'm allergic to what they are trying to give me.  They will tell you "oh man that sucks, I couldn't live without breakfast burritos"  then you tell them well I can't live if I eat one 

Outside contactors must bid extra into the jobs for pizza and donuts they kill me with that stuff ! Lol if I’m on a diet at the time (usually) I’ll tell them I already ate I’m good . Otherwise I’ll mow down some Krispy Kreme’s and Casey’s pizza . I know I’m weak .:P