How do you deal with food pushers?

GSG

On 7/26/2018 at 12:35 PM, knapplc said:

First time I saw edamame I didn't know how to eat it. I chewed on the whole thing and, while the beans inside were good, the pod was fibrous and gross.

Felt like a dope when I found out how you're supposed to eat it.  :D

I did the same thing.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Even when people aren’t pushing food, it’s annoying that every celebration has to have cake or pie or cookies. Like I feel pressured at my own birthday party to eat the cake someone made for me without asking if I wanted it made. They’re not pushing it on me at the party but there is still the pressure of guilt for not eating what someone made for me. 

It makes me want to eat by myself as often as I can.

I think this is a lot worse with men though. I had a job where the head boss guy would always try to pressure all of his male suboordinates to eat more cake at every dumb party we had and he would single out the bigger guys to eat more. 

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Even when people aren’t pushing food, it’s annoying that every celebration has to have cake or pie or cookies. Like I feel pressured at my own birthday party to eat the cake someone made for me without asking if I wanted it made. They’re not pushing it on me at the party but there is still the pressure of guilt for not eating what someone made for me. 

It makes me want to eat by myself as often as I can.

I think this is a lot worse with men though. I had a job where the head boss guy would always try to pressure all of his male suboordinates to eat more cake at every dumb party we had and he would single out the bigger guys to eat more. 

They forgot my birthday at work last year. Best gift for my waistline ever!

Succumbing to peer pressure via a "food pusher" seems weird. 

Back when I worked in manufacturing the "big bosses" would sometimes buy the shifts pizza for hitting certain production measures, or safety goals. I usually missed out, because I refused to eat pizza that had been picked through by 15-20 nasty bastards. On more than one occasion I was asked why I wasn't partaking, and I was always honest with them....:dunno 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, GSG said:

A little backstory here: I'm trying to lose some weight (again) and I've been pretty good about logging my food (Lose It app) and getting daily exercise. During the week I'm an early riser (5 or 515 am) and then I take the dog on a decent walk. I usually eat my breakfast at around 630 or 7. I take an early lunch (11 am) so we have coverage at work.  I usually have a snack in the afternoon and try to workout after work for at least 30 minutes or take the dog on another (longer) walk. My gf and I have been really trying to increase our veggie intake instead of carbs and sugars. We've been spiralizing veggies for pasta, etc.

Anyway, at least a couple times a week a coworker tries to force me to have what amounts to a second breakfast: breakfast burritos, bagels, donuts, etc. They're SUPER insistent that I absolutely HAVE to have something to eat. I've explained to them so many times that I've already eaten. If it's something planned ahead (sometimes we do breakfast for birthdays instead of cake/ice cream) then I will adjust my other meals/snacks to accommodate the festivities.

So my question is, how do you deal with these food pushers? I came pretty close to losing my s#!t this morning as 2 of my coworkers were hammering me about having a breakfast burrito after I had already told them I had eaten breakfast.

Tell them you are allergic to whatever they are trying to give you.  Works for me although in most cases its because I'm allergic to what they are trying to give me.  They will tell you "oh man that sucks, I couldn't live without breakfast burritos"  then you tell them well I can't live if I eat one