Huskers Getting Bigger

Actually, I was hoping our smaller players would add the good weight and the big guys would drop a few pounds.   Seems maybe there was some of both but the O line was not in great shape and looked like it.  Would have preferred they drop 35 bad pounds and add back 25 good ones.   Maybe the modern day versions of steroids, etc are really 'that good'.   LOL

I guess it pays to complain on the Huskerboard.   Just a couple weeks ago, I bemoaned the fact that we were not getting any real info on the strength and conditioning.  I was more interested in the conditioning part than the strength frankly.  I would like some speed and quickness before and after as well.   We have to trust but verify on the reliability of the data being provided.   We saw what happened as the Solich years saw declines in the all the key measurements until the last couple years it was no longer even being reported as I recall.  No news is bad news.   

I guess I will take the current regime at its word until otherwise indicated and presume that the information provided is 'good' news.   

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Actually, I was hoping our smaller players would add the good weight and the big guys would drop a few pounds.   Seems maybe there was some of both but the O line was not in great shape and looked like it.  Would have preferred they drop 35 bad pounds and add back 25 good ones.   Maybe the modern day versions of steroids, etc are really 'that good'.   LOL

I guess it pays to complain on the Huskerboard.   Just a couple weeks ago, I bemoaned the fact that we were not getting any real info on the strength and conditioning.  I was more interested in the conditioning part than the strength frankly.  I would like some speed and quickness before and after as well.   We have to trust but verify on the reliability of the data being provided.   We saw what happened as the Solich years saw declines in the all the key measurements until the last couple years it was no longer even being reported as I recall.  No news is bad news.   

I guess I will take the current regime at its word until otherwise indicated and presume that the information provided is 'good' news.   

Do other schools publish this info on their players?   I think we'll just have to be happy when we see the improvement ON the field and let the experts worry about the OFF the field results.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Do other schools publish this info on their players?   I think we'll just have to be happy when we see the improvement ON the field and let the experts worry about the OFF the field results.

I have no idea what other schools do or used to do.  I only care about the Huskers.   Not sure why you take the swipe at me and my comments.  So many on this board do this.   I have no problem with people disagreeing.  That's what this entire site is all about.  Husker fanatics debating and talking with fellow fanatics.   No reason why there is so much snarky rude comments.   We're all on the same 'team' here.   I hope the Huskers get along better than the Huskerboard members.   Geeeesh!

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have no idea what other schools do or used to do.  I only care about the Huskers.   Not sure why you take the swipe at me and my comments.  So many on this board do this.   I have no problem with people disagreeing.  That's what this entire site is all about.  Husker fanatics debating and talking with fellow fanatics.   No reason why there is so much snarky rude comments.   We're all on the same 'team' here.   I hope the Huskers get along better than the Huskerboard members.   Geeeesh!

Nothing about Dilly’s comment was rude in any way.

• Plus1 6
15 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Of course other schools have the roster with the players height and weight. That’s all that has been done in this case for NU. The roster was updated, and media outlets analyzed the weight changes from last year.  It’s not a secret release of information by the coaching staff. 

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It wasn't a swipe, it was a legitimate question.  I'm sorry if you took it that way.  I just haven't heard of any other school doing it (but admit, like you, i don't care about other schools).

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I didn't think it was snarky at all :dunno

But back to your original comments....you were hoping that our big line guys, who got pushed around all season, would drop weight??? I'm pretty glad they're putting on good weight, losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm not getting where we aren't getting enough off season S&C type info or how anything we are hearing can be interpreted as anything less than great news.

27 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

All that has been done is the release of the roster for this season. It’s not a release of secret info. It’s what every football program from high school on up does. 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, Moiraine said:

Nothing about Dilly’s comment was rude in any way.

It was entirely sharky and swipe at me for my comments about getting no meaningful information.   Height and weight is standard across the sport really althiough we all know they usually pump up the heights and weights some.   

I am talking about 40 times, agility runs, weight lifts and vertical jumps, etc.   They used to publish this a couple times a year for all the players and team averages, etc.   It stopped in middle of Solich era and really has never come back.  This was good information and helped us fans get an idea of what kind of team we will have and where they are bigger, stronger, faster, or not, etc.   If the numbers are not 'good'' then it somewhat makes sense to keep them secret but again, no news is usually bad news'.   I just feel that this year in particular, it would be nice to see how well the team is actually progressing in getting back in playing shape etc.   We all could visually see they had a real conditioning issue with getting tired during games, and lacked good definition, carried extra weight (fat), etc.   These guys should look like they are exceptionally fit and trim.   Even linemen don't need a big gut if they are going to run block,   They need to move and carrying 35 lbs of lard is NOT beneficial.  Now if they are just pass blocking and basically getting in the way of pass rushers (Riley's approach), then that may be different.   

30 pounds of conversion of fat into lean is GREAT but adding 30 lbs net may not be so helpful.   I am no expert but in my mind to get into great condition to play football, you need to get rid of the fat first as muscle takes much longer to build  if done right (without the steroids, etc.).   You don't become Mr. Universe in a matter of months.  It takes years and years of dedidcation.

They don't need to be body builders but a good number should look that way.   The older guys particularly should be in the prime physical shape by their junior seasons.   In my opinion.

25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It was entirely sharky and swipe at me for my comments about getting no meaningful information.

No it wasn’t.

And it’s weird for you to single Dilly out considering how often people (including me) joke about how long your posts are and how often people (including me) tell you how wrong they think you are. I think I’ve probably done it a dozen times over the years and you’ve never replied the way you are to Dilly. You usually just ignore us.

Anyhow, I’ll say it again, you’re totally wrong here. You should expect Frost to be as secretive as Pelini, but not to be as much of a butthole to reporters about it. And we’ve gotten just as much info as we usually do, btw.

21 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It was entirely sharky and swipe at me for my comments about getting no meaningful information.   Height and weight is standard across the sport really althiough we all know they usually pump up the heights and weights some.   

I am talking about 40 times, agility runs, weight lifts and vertical jumps, etc.   They used to publish this a couple times a year for all the players and team averages, etc.   It stopped in middle of Solich era and really has never come back.  This was good information and helped us fans get an idea of what kind of team we will have and where they are bigger, stronger, faster, or not, etc.   If the numbers are not 'good'' then it somewhat makes sense to keep them secret but again, no news is usually bad news'.   I just feel that this year in particular, it would be nice to see how well the team is actually progressing in getting back in playing shape etc.   We all could visually see they had a real conditioning issue with getting tired during games, and lacked good definition, carried extra weight (fat), etc.   These guys should look like they are exceptionally fit and trim.   Even linemen don't need a big gut if they are going to run block,   They need to move and carrying 35 lbs of lard is NOT beneficial.  Now if they are just pass blocking and basically getting in the way of pass rushers (Riley's approach), then that may be different.   

30 pounds of conversion of fat into lean is GREAT but adding 30 lbs net may not be so helpful.   I am no expert but in my mind to get into great condition to play football, you need to get rid of the fat first as muscle takes much longer to build  if done right (without the steroids, etc.).   You don't become Mr. Universe in a matter of months.  It takes years and years of dedidcation.

They don't need to be body builders but a good number should look that way.   The older guys particularly should be in the prime physical shape by their junior seasons.   In my opinion.

Chill out bro-chacho. You would be amazed at what one can accomplish when pushed to their physical limits while eatting proper macros and micros. Especially the initial muscle confusion that had to have occurred when their bodies were trying to adjust to Duvals system. Easiest time to put on muscle mass in your life is teens and early 20's. Higher testosterone levels etc. 

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Please discontinue this line of discussion. If you think someone has a problem with you please take it to the Woodshed.

30 pounds of conversion of fat into lean is GREAT but adding 30 lbs net may not be so helpful.

Frost's entire MO is speed. It's evidenced by the types of players he's recruiting and the philosophies he discusses. He's not going to let players bulk up at the cost of their speed.