Mikale Wilbon

ADS

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'm definitely intrigued by Mazour. I agree, don't know if he's a bulk carry type of guy, but seems in his limited exposure to get a lot out of every touch. I'd like to see him get some opportunity early season and just see where it goes from there. 

You can't be afraid to run someone just because they were a walk on out of some small town in Nebraska.  If he is good enough to play and contribute let him play.  Wisconsin is never afraid to play these walk on guys.  They had a guy last year, Garrett Groshek playing RB for them with a similar pedigree as Mazour.  Walk on played QB in HS just a good athlete that ended up getting 61 carries for about 300 yards last year.  

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sam McKewon commented on his Pick 6 Podcast that Ozigbo could be better in this offense because he needs space and room to get his body going.  He does not excel in yards 0-5, but once he gets up to speed, he does pretty good in the 2nd level of the defense.  

Ozigbo had 1 carry over 20 yards last year (28). If someone doesn't consider him a "big back", then what does he bring to the table that another back isn't. I think that's some of the mental gymnastics we all do when we like a guy.

I'm not a fan of Wilbon or Ozigbo. They're replacement level backs. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, brophog said:

Ozigbo had 1 carry over 20 yards last year (28). If someone doesn't consider him a "big back", then what does he bring to the table that another back isn't. I think that's some of the mental gymnastics we all do when we like a guy.

Well said.

5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

You can't be afraid to run someone just because they were a walk on out of some small town in Nebraska.  If he is good enough to play and contribute let him play.  Wisconsin is never afraid to play these walk on guys.  They had a guy last year, Garrett Groshek playing RB for them with a similar pedigree as Mazour.  Walk on played QB in HS just a good athlete that ended up getting 61 carries for about 300 yards last year.  

We have a head coach now that thinks that way. One of the big takeaways of his success the last two years is that he gave guys an opportunity and on the flip side if a guy didn't perform then he was replaced. 

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think one of the things that helps Ozigbo is that he is a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield. I think he could be a good red zone option for us with his size and ability to catch.

If you're putting Jaylin ahead of Devine, it's because you want that to happen. There is nothing that suggests that he is better or should be ahead of Devine. Jaylin looked bad in the spring game. He didn't move well and lacked explosion. A lot of the players did cut down this summer, so I'll wait and see. But from the glimpses, Jaylin appears to be average at best. There was a stretch of games last year where Devine was one of our best players. He has way more ability than what most fans give him. I never understood it. He could easily be a 1,300 yard back if we had an Oline worth a damn. 

10 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

If you're putting Jaylin ahead of Devine, it's because you want that to happen. There is nothing that suggests that he is better or should be ahead of Devine. Jaylin looked bad in the spring game. He didn't move well and lacked explosion. A lot of the players did cut down this summer, so I'll wait and see. But from the glimpses, Jaylin appears to be average at best. There was a stretch of games last year where Devine was one of our best players. He has way more ability than what most fans give him. I never understood it. He could easily be a 1,300 yard back if we had an Oline worth a damn. 

Bradley gets treated differently because he hasn't had as many opportunities. It's benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's anything more than that. 

36 minutes ago, Roger Dorn said:

I think one of the things that helps Ozigbo is that he is a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield. 

He is, but I think that's one of the most overrated "skills" in football. It's just not that hard to teach. Most passes to a back are uncovered and easy for them to see. Nebraska used to be criticized for not throwing to their backs when draft time came, and then we'd put backs into west coast offenses in the NFL and they'd thrive as pass catchers.

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

He was one of those guys who was quite unimpressive but inexplicably managed to impress a lot of people.

Count me as one that thought he was going to be good. I thought he had good running skills but not having the football player mentality (think Andy Janovich) really held him back.

4 minutes ago, huKSer said:

The last mention of Wilbon was 23 posts ago

Is the thread officially derailed?

Wilbon always seemed to run tentative. There were times where I'd think, "why doesn't he just go!" Sometimes it looks like he's tight roping in the middle of the field as well.

@Vince R. What killed Wilbon was that Riley & co had him overthinking everything. He lost his natural instincts as a runner that he had coming out of high school. And he didn't get many chances to run because Riley cared less about running the ball than he did about pass protection (which Bryant did fairly well, hence why Riley favored him so much).

"Sometimes I just think too much and just try to do too much," he said. "Some games, I’d get one play and they’d take me right back out. I was like, ‘I’ve got to get a rhythm.’ That’s what they had me doing, and really, since my snaps were so limited, I really pressured myself. I was harder on myself because I was trying to be perfect every time I’m in, because I don’t know how many times I’m going to be in."

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Mikale-Wilbon-is-making-a-push-for-playing-time-behind-new-attitude--51946460/

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Vince R. What killed Wilbon was that Riley & co had him overthinking everything. He lost his natural instincts as a runner that he had coming out of high school. And he didn't get many chances to run because Riley cared less about running the ball than he did about pass protection (which Bryant did fairly well, hence why Riley favored him so much).

"Sometimes I just think too much and just try to do too much," he said. "Some games, I’d get one play and they’d take me right back out. I was like, ‘I’ve got to get a rhythm.’ That’s what they had me doing, and really, since my snaps were so limited, I really pressured myself. I was harder on myself because I was trying to be perfect every time I’m in, because I don’t know how many times I’m going to be in."

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Mikale-Wilbon-is-making-a-push-for-playing-time-behind-new-attitude--51946460/

Yeah, I could definitely see this being the case.  Not only with the subbing in and out but also just not being able to use his natural ability as much.  I think a different offense that let's him play in space more would be much better for him. That's the kind of offense he was recruited to play in.