Mikale Wilbon

ADS

19 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

My argument was people called Burkhead slow.  Rex did everything.  He even took snaps if I recall.  This has pretty much come off the rails.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/5/9/4315564/rex-burkhead-knows-difference-between-40-speed-and-game-speed

Burkhead might have been "slow" in his 40 time, but he was quick as hell in the first 10 yards.  Ozigbo is anything but quick in the first 10 yards.

Burkhead was also great at making himself small, finding creases at the LOS, and churning his legs to gain tough yards.  Ozigbo is not good at that, has trouble making the first man miss, and is often brought down too easily near the LOS.  Just because he is "big" people think he's great in short-yardage situations.  People said the same thing about Imani Cross.  It's a gross misconception.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, skers83 said:

He played at Boone Central in Albion. Saw him play once against Norfolk Catholic. Kid was unstoppable. 

Again, sorry I don't know the backstory of Mazour.  I don't pay much attention to recruiting, let alone walk-ons from small-town Nebraska.  I appreciate the info.  I am sure he was a stud in high school.  My comment about him being from 8-man was mis-remembering what I heard from Damon Benning after the Spring Game.  Again, my bad.

Whew!  I just waded through this thread.  It has more tangents than a junior college geometry class.  

Wilbon.  Make no mistake, he is a talented back.  His style of running is nothing like Ozigbo.  And Ozigbo is not remotely similar to Burkhead.  But who cares?  Neither Wilbon nor Ozigbo are gonna start for us this year.  Hard to say how many touches they'll get. It might depend on injuries and attrition as we get into the B1G schedule.  That said, I personally would much rather see Wilbon stay with us.  It's always good to start the season with a full stable of RBs.  Just in case.  But even if Wilbon goes (and it's looking like he will) I think we still have pretty decent depth without him:     

Greg Bell

Tre Bryant

Devine Ozigbo

Maurice Washington (maybe PT?  maybe higher?)

Jaylin Bradley / Wyatt Mazour / Austin Rose / etc.  

So either wayif Wilbon goes or staysI think we'll be just fine at RB.  I'm hoping it works out for Mikale one way or the other.  

• Plus1 1

Big wild card will be what kind of shape Washington is in.  RB is one of the easier spots to step in and play but it depends on how ready he is physically.

It doesn't sound to me like Bryant will be ready to go at the start of the season.  So the depth chart might change as Bryant and Washington get up to speed.

But when they're full-go, I'd say:

Bell

Washington

Bryant

Wilbon

Bradley

Ozigbo

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Big wild card will be what kind of shape Washington is in.  RB is one of the easier spots to step in and play but it depends on how ready he is physically.

It doesn't sound to me like Bryant will be ready to go at the start of the season.  So the depth chart might change as Bryant and Washington get up to speed.

Bell

Washington

Bryant

Wilbon

Bradley

Ozigbo

Mav, I think this what people are up in arms about. Your first three I can understand, despite Maurice never playing a down in any sense, but I get it, he's so obviously talented. It is your last three. Ozigbo has so much more production than the two before him. I made the statement that putting Bradley and Wilbon ahead of him, is because one wants that to happen. But by all accounts, stats and eye test, Ozigbo is head and shoulders better than Bradley and Wilbon, and I am disappointed with both. 

I don't know, is this list what you think takes place with a new system and coach? I can probably entertain that.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Bell

Washington

Bryant

Wilbon

Bradley

Ozigbo

Image result for this pleases me meme

12 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Mav, I think this what people are up in arms about. Your first three I can understand, despite Maurice never playing a down in any sense, but I get it, he's so obviously talented. It is your last three. Ozigbo has so much more production than the two before him. I made the statement that putting Bradley and Wilbon ahead of him, is because one wants that to happen. But by all accounts, stats and eye test, Ozigbo is head and shoulders better than Bradley and Wilbon, and I am disappointed with both. 

I don't know, is this list what you think takes place with a new system and coach? I can probably entertain that.

Ozigbo only has "so much more production" if you look at total yards and not how he got those yards.  

Last year Ozigbo averaged 3.8 yards per carry.  Wilbon averaged 4.3.  Bryant averaged 5.9 - that's over a 50% increase compared to Ozigbo.  Ozigbo kept getting the ball because for whatever reason Riley and his staff liked him and kept trotting him out there even though other backs were more productive.  I think that changes under Frost - especially since the other backs are better fits for what Frost wants to do.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

You have to remember "fit", too. Bradley fits what the staff wants in a RB better than Ozigbo does

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ozigbo only has "so much more production" if you look at total yards and not how he got those yards.  

Last year Ozigbo averaged 3.8 yards per carry.  Wilbon averaged 4.3.  Bryant averaged 5.9 - that's over a 50% increase compared to Ozigbo.  Ozigbo kept getting the ball because for whatever reason Riley and his staff liked him and kept trotting him out there even though other backs were more productive.  I think that changes under Frost - especially since the other backs are better fits for what Frost wants to do.

But do you think stats have real significance here? I understand the case for Bryant. I won't argue that. But when it comes to Wilbon and Bradley, I just don't see how anyone can put them ahead of Devine.

With that said, I am not saying Devine is an AA. But from all accounts, Wilbon is a bust, and Bradley, so far, looks like the rating he was given. 

Obviously with the change of the guard, things may play out differently. Bradley is young and who knows, but I just do not think there is any real evidence (even with the listed stats) that those two belong in front of Ozigbo. 

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You have to remember "fit", too. Bradley fits what the staff wants in a RB better than Ozigbo does

You're right, and I acknowledge that a new system welcomes different kind of backs. In the spring, I was very disappointed with both Wilbon and Bradley. I thought they both blew up and looked slow. Even Devine looked a little bloated. We will see. I know bodies changed since then.