Mikale Wilbon

ADS

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I have a feeling if the internet was widely used when Crouch quit the team, we would have had a similar topic. I find it hard to believe that nothing was going on with Wilbon.

And the posts from Kearney about how Monte Christo is deserving of the starting QB job over Crouch and Newcombe.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This thread didn't age well...

It just transitions. Not about guys leaving, about guys performing. The senior backs got first crack in the spring out of deference, won't happen in the fall. They got real competition now and their job starting tomorrow morning is to prove guys like me wrong, show they belong on the field. Show they can get those big runs, show that they can get us ahead of the chains on first down. Coach Held has very high standards for his group and if you can't cut it then this thread may transition back to where it started.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

It just transitions. Not about guys leaving, about guys performing. The senior backs got first crack in the spring out of deference, won't happen in the fall. They got real competition now and their job starting tomorrow morning is to prove guys like me wrong, show they belong on the field. Show they can get those big runs, show that they can get us ahead of the chains on first down. Coach Held has very high standards for his group and if you can't cut it then this thread may transition back to where it started.

I hope Wilbon rises to the challenge in his last season.

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 9:28 PM, Mavric said:

In this thread:

• Arguments are made for Ozigbo by discounting Wilbon because he's not a "speed" back.
  • Comparisons are mad between Ozigbo - who literally has no moves and is probably third-sting at best on his college team - to Burkhead, who was great at jump-cutting sideways to make guys miss and plays a significant role for his NFL team
  • Tre Bryant - who had over 300 yards rushing in two games last year - is noted as "showing some flashes"
  • The guys who is easily our slowest back is said to "hit the hole as fast as anyone"

Gotta love it

I took a Rodney King style beating in this thread.  Seems like the NFL scouts like Ozigbo.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I took a Rodney King style beating in this thread.  Seems like the NFL scouts like Ozigbo.

I mean ... obviously a lot of people were wrong about Ozigbo.  Or - more precisely - were not expecting him to make such a dramatic improvement.  Even Frost has said that he was nothing like what they saw on film from last year.

That being said, I'm not sure you were all that accurate in your descriptions of Ozigbo either.  He seemed to significantly out-perform your descriptions as well.  You referenced him as a "grinder" who "won't start".  Neither of those turned out to be accurate.  And your comparison to Burkhead is still not accurate.  Just because they (may) both play in the NFL doesn't mean they are the same type of back.  Plus you also were doubtful that he could break it for 60, which is a huge difference that he could do that this year where he couldn't last year.

So congrats for being optimistic and being proved right.  But I'm not really all that convinced that you really saw him being the back he became either.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... obviously a lot of people were wrong about Ozigbo.  Or - more precisely - were not expecting him to make such a dramatic improvement.  Even Frost has said that he was nothing like what they saw on film from last year.

That being said, I'm not sure you were all that accurate in your descriptions of Ozigbo either.  He seemed to significantly out-perform your descriptions as well.  You referenced him as a "grinder" who "won't start".  Neither of those turned out to be accurate.  And your comparison to Burkhead is still not accurate.  Just because they (may) both play in the NFL doesn't mean they are the same type of back.  Plus you also were doubtful that he could break it for 60, which is a huge difference that he could do that this year where he couldn't last year.

So congrats for being optimistic and being proved right.  But I'm not really all that convinced that you really saw him being the back he became either.

You all said he was slow...........

***Edit*** His speed is the same as it's always been.  It's the conditioning that made the difference.  He was able to maintain his to speed longer.  This is what people commonly call "Breakaway" speed.  Funny thing is it's not really that you're faster, it's that you can plateau at your top speed longer than the person you are outrunning***Edit*** 

And I said....."Like Burkhead?" and provided an article that said Burkhead was slow.  The direction you all went from there is on you.  And yes, I got the starter part wrong, but I won't back down from the grinder.  We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You all said he was slow...........

***Edit*** His speed is the same as it's always been.  It's the conditioning that made the difference.  He was able to maintain his to speed longer.  This is what people commonly call "Breakaway" speed.  Funny thing is it's not really that you're faster, it's that you can plateau at your top speed longer than the person you are outrunning***Edit*** 

And I said....."Like Burkhead?" and provided an article that said Burkhead was slow.  The direction you all went from there is on you.  And yes, I got the starter part wrong, but I won't back down from the grinder.  We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

He was slow.  He got faster.  His speed was definitely not the same.  He lost some weight and got in better shape.  Great work by him.

The reason the Burkhead comparison doesn't work - even if their speed was similar - was that Burkhead was able to do so many more things that made up for his lack of speed.  Yes, if you paint with a sufficiently broad brush you can compare anyone to anyone.  But saying one guy has the same speed as another guy so they should be viewed the same while ignore everything else about them is pretty disingenuous.  There are plenty of receivers faster than Jerry Rice.  Doesn't mean they should be compared to him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He was slow.  He got faster.  His speed was definitely not the same.  He lost some weight and got in better shape.  Great work by him.

The reason the Burkhead comparison doesn't work - even if their speed was similar - was that Burkhead was able to do so many more things that made up for his lack of speed.  Yes, if you paint with a sufficiently broad brush you can compare anyone to anyone.  But saying one guy has the same speed as another guy so they should be viewed the same while ignore everything else about them is pretty disingenuous.  There are plenty of receivers faster than Jerry Rice.  Doesn't mean they should be compared to him.

People said Ozigbo was slow, which I still believe is not accurate (my LOS scrimmage comments prove that).   Scouts and writers said Burkhead was slow.  Did anyone write off Burkhead because he was slow?....most don't.  Burkhead, much like Jerry Rice, used their skill set so well that the disadvantage associated with their lack of speed is minimized.

I didn't think it was appropriate to write him off because of his speed.  Ozigbo is no faster now than he was one year ago.  His conditioning improved significantly which allowed him to put together long runs and complete games.  He went from flashes of greatness to 60 minutes a week on dependable performance.

Moral of the story is to not write someone of because you think they are slow.  That was my point, continues to be my point, and always will be my point.  I could have picked anyone reference as slow.  Maybe I could have picked Kurt Gibson.

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

People said Ozigbo was slow, which I still believe is not accurate (my LOS scrimmage comments prove that).   Scouts and writers said Burkhead was slow.  Dis anyone write off Burkhead because he was slow.....most don't.  Burkhead, much like Jerry Rice, used their skill set so well that the disadvantage associated with their lack of speed is minimized.

People weren't writing him off because he was slow.  He was not only slow but couldn't make people miss.  He was a pretty limited back.  He improved.

I didn't think it was appropriate to write him off because of his speed.  Ozigbo is no faster now than he was one year ago.  His conditioning improved significantly which allowed him to put together long runs and complete games.  He went from flashes of greatness to 40 minutes a week on dependable performance.

I think it's pretty obvious that he is faster.  At the very least, I'm fairly certain you have nothing to prove that.  You're free to think that but I think 99% of people would disagree.

In his first three years he had exactly one game with a run longer than 31 yards.  This year he had four games that fit that description.  Some of that is better scheme/opportunity.  A lot of it is simply being able to take better advantage of those opportunities by being quicker and faster.

Moral of the story is to not write someone of because you think they are slow.  That was my point, continues to be my point, and always will be my point.  I could have picked anyone reference as slow.  Maybe I could have picked Kurt Gibson.

You're stuck on this.  It's not accurate.

• Plus1 1