Mikale Wilbon

ADS

On 8/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mavric said:

Big wild card will be what kind of shape Washington is in.  RB is one of the easier spots to step in and play but it depends on how ready he is physically.

It doesn't sound to me like Bryant will be ready to go at the start of the season.  So the depth chart might change as Bryant and Washington get up to speed.

But when they're full-go, I'd say:

Bell

Washington

Bryant

Wilbon

Bradley

Ozigbo

Man..

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

In Mavrics defense, who honestly saw Ozigbo as someone who was going to get extensive action.

He earned that with hard work, but I think its safe to say the Devine we all knew vs the one we saw this year were very different.

There is no defense to put Bradley, Wilbon, and even Maurice at that time, ahead of him. I stick to my belief and that these lists were ones that people wanted to see, and not what actually was. And I am not trying to pick a fight with Mav on this. 

• Plus1 1

On 8/2/2018 at 11:44 AM, Mavric said:

Big wild card will be what kind of shape Washington is in.  RB is one of the easier spots to step in and play but it depends on how ready he is physically.

It doesn't sound to me like Bryant will be ready to go at the start of the season.  So the depth chart might change as Bryant and Washington get up to speed.

But when they're full-go, I'd say:

Bell

Washington

Bryant

Wilbon

Bradley

Ozigbo

People can poke fun at this with 20/20 hindsight all they want, but on August 2nd last year, this was the conventional wisdom.

• Plus1 3

Not to put words into Mav's chat, but there is an excuse to put those backs ahead of him.  The last 6 games of 2017 Ozigbo had 62 carries for 166 yards - that's 2.7 yards a carry.  In the spring game he was on the 2nd team and went for 10 carries for 22 yards.  That's what it looked like at the time.

• Plus1 3

I'm not the savviest football fella on here, but I was fairly certain Bryant with major injury issues and a handful of newbs weren't going to all bury Wilbon AND Ozigbo on the depth chart.  I expected Bell to make a case for 2nd string if he really shined, but I also expected it to be between Wilbon and Ozigbo.

I had Bell as the clear #1 back coming out of the Spring Game.  I think if we dig up that thread I talked about how impressive he was.

Can't remember if I said anything about Bryant. Mostly it would have been concern over his injury history and a hope that the S&C could help him put that behind him.

I thought one or both of Ozigbo or Wilbon would transfer due to lack of playing time, and I believe I said that at least once in the preseason.

Can't remember if I had any thoughts about Bradley at all.

I believe I thought Washington was going to be a project due to his size, and I probably made a super hilarious joke about him needing to eat a sandwich.

No way did I see Ozigbo being the star he was. No way did I see Bell being a bust. No way did I see Washington - with no Spring ball and no body mass - being a star.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Not to put words into Mav's chat, but there is an excuse to put those backs ahead of him.  The last 6 games of 2017 Ozigbo had 62 carries for 166 yards - that's 2.7 yards a carry.  In the spring game he was on the 2nd team and went for 10 carries for 22 yards.  That's what it looked like at the time.

But I am not really saying what Ozigbo was or wasn't. It was the fact that Wilbon and Bradley had no business being ahead of him. The numbers suggested that. Ozigbo did have a really good stretch of 4 games against the meat of our schedule were he averaged over 100 yards in 17 (if my memory serves me right). People were clamoring over Bradley because he caught a shovel pass and went 12 yards. Like it was ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

But I am not really saying what Ozigbo was or wasn't. It was the fact that Wilbon and Bradley had no business being ahead of him. The numbers suggested that. Ozigbo did have a really good stretch of 4 games against the meat of our schedule were he averaged over 100 yards in 17 (if my memory serves me right). People were clamoring over Bradley because he caught a shovel pass and went 12 yards. Like it was ridiculous. 

They all sucked under Riley.  

The span you’re referring to was a 3 game span that included Rutgers and Illinois in which we ran the same play 47 times in a row because Riley and his staff never made it to the second page of the run play sheet.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, brophog said:

They all sucked under Riley.  

The span you’re referring to was a 3 game span that included Rutgers and Illinois in which we ran the same play 47 times in a row because Riley and his staff never made it to the second page of the run play sheet.

He played very well against Wisconsin. 

Correction, it was not against the meat of our schedule but that Wiscy game sticks out to me. Reason one, their defense was pretty salty. Reason two, the bright lights were on and performed well. From that loss on, the whole team (staff included) quit. 

I gave a shoutout to Devine earlier, and I know we can all say that we are very proud of him. I think he would've been an all american had he played behind wisconsins oline. That is not a guy you want to see at the second level, and he proved it.