Pre-Season USA Today Coaches Poll

9 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Pump the brakes a bit - I don’t think we are ranked after going 3-0 and a win over Mich probably gets us into the top 20 but definitely not the top 10 with the amount of teams ahead of us to start with. 

Yeah but a lot of those teams play each other early.  ND, Michigan, UW, Auburn, USC, Stanford...Lots of teams play big(bigger) game early this year and so there will be losses.

1 hour ago, Wunderkind said:

If Frost were still at UCF what do you think they would be ranked this year? Top 10?

Agree with @Moiraine maybe top 15.

I don't think many of the coaches expect much out of Huepel.  It also doesn't help they lost their best player.

It seems like people forget the only reason people used to talk about Boise getting a crack at the title was because they were dominant year after year after year.  Having one undefeated season against an intramural schedule shouldn't qualify you to play for all the marbles.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, NUance said:

And three of those top 14 opponents are road games.  Only the Sparty game is in Lincoln.  We have a tough schedule this year.  I wonder what our SOL is?  

You play who play, schedule excuses are Mike Riley lovers, jk

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Pump the brakes a bit - I don’t think we are ranked after going 3-0 and a win over Mich probably gets us into the top 20 but definitely not the top 10 with the amount of teams ahead of us to start with. 

Agree. In 2016 we were ranked after 3-0 but we had just beaten #22 Oregon. I don't think we'll be ranked unless we go 4-0, or later in the season if we have 8-9 wins to end it. There are a couple other possible scenarios, like if we lose to Michigan then beat Wisconsin.

If we end up winning 8+ games I think we'll definitely be ranked at the beginning of next season, because of the expectations people have of Frost.

17 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

You play who play, schedule excuses are Mike Riley lovers, jk

So it's just as easy to win on the road in October/November as it is in Memorial Stadium?   Heh, in all these years of watching college football I always thought road games were tougher to win.  Thanks for educating me.  I'll make sure to pay careful attention to your college football insights in the future.  

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

No but maybe top 15. South Florida was ranked in the preseason top 20 last year. They went 11-2 in 2016 and had a new coach in 2017. That makes it seem silly to have UCF ranked outside of the top 20 this year but Charlie Strong is more respected than Josh Heupel.

Don't tell that to the delirious UCF fans

• Plus1 4
19 minutes ago, tattooedhusker said:

Don't tell that to the delirious UCF fans

I've said it before, I will say it again.  UCF Fan reminds me so much of Kansas Fan after their Orange Bowl season.  UCF will continue to have more success than KU, but will come back down to earth sooner rather than later.   Count me in as someone not particularly all that impressed with the Heuple hire.

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Depends on how big those margins are, assuming we did win all three. Frost has a ton of momentum, and that carries more weight with voters (of any kind) than it really should. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah but a lot of those teams play each other early.  ND, Michigan, UW, Auburn, USC, Stanford...Lots of teams play big(bigger) game early this year and so there will be losses.

That's true but I think you also have to weigh the victories with the losses. Those teams will go down and others will move up to take their place before Nebraska will and highly ranked teams don't suffer huge drops in the polls unless they a) lose to a team they really shouldn't lose to b) lose to a good team by a lot of points.

There are just so many variables at play and you'd essentially have to bank on chaos in the top 25 plus Nebraska playing like a team on fire, which is unlikely this year.

But, just to play along, I think only a Nebraska squad that makes it undefeated into the Wisconsin game, or makes it undefeated into that game and beats Wisconsin, makes it into the Top 10. It took Nebraska six weeks to crack the Top 10 in 2016 but they didn't play anybody has high as Michigan will be ranked, so I guess the process could be expedited a bit.

• Plus1 1