The Trump Economy

8 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

I'd be excited to know where these large piles of rotting grain are located.

I think you may need to read the article.  It doesn't say there are rotting piles of soybeans.  It says that local co-ops are not buying damaged grains because there is no room.  Therefore, farmers with damaged crops left them in the field and cut losses.

55 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

Do any on you actually know what is going on with farms/farmers/farming, or do you just believe all this crap? 

No wonder this country is in the shape it is in.

Well, I talked to my uncles over Thanksgiving and they're telling me similar stories about what's happening with them and other farmers they know. So I'm going to take their words over yours. Sorry

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think you may need to read the article.  It doesn't say there are rotting piles of soybeans.  It says that local co-ops are not buying damaged grains because there is no room.  Therefore, farmers with damaged crops left them in the field and cut losses.

I have not seen nor heard any talk of farmers not harvesting crops in order to cut losses here in my area of Nebraska.  Was it just the one farmer in Louisiana that did this? 

In the article is talked of large piles of snow dusted corn...that is not really something new, most years that is a common way to store corn once the bins are full.

5 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

I have not seen nor heard any talk of farmers not harvesting crops in order to cut losses here in my area of Nebraska.  Was it just the one farmer in Louisiana that did this? 

In the article is talked of large piles of snow dusted corn...that is not really something new, most years that is a common way to store corn once the bins are full.

Do farmers have damaged crop in your area?  If so, are the elevators taking them with no problem?

As far as the bolded:  That's the issue the article takes on.  Bins are full.  Much fuller than usual and there isn't a demand to match the inventory.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fixed one thing.

It's important to remember, these companies MUST make a profit. That isn't greed from the stock holders. If they don't make tough decisions that keep them making a profit, we end up with what we had in 2010 with them on the verge of going out of business and everyone losing jobs.

I guess the point is, they didn't make the tough decisions when they really needed to, they accepted government largesse to make up for it, they created a definition of "profit" that includes an executive/employee compensation ratio literally tenfold what it was a generation ago, and they adhere to the stockholder model of success that generally screws the workers who've been taught to vote for whatever the Jobs Providers want. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskertrapper said:

Do any on you actually know what is going on with farms/farmers/farming, or do you just believe all this crap? 

No wonder this country is in the shape it is in.

Actually, my family is a 4th generation farming family and I actively manage the farm land now.  Our other business is involved in agriculture.  I have an agribusiness degree and my first love was wanting to be in the cattle business.  We own one of the oldest farms in the county and our farm is the location of the first well drilled in the county.  My grandfather is in the Nebraska Agriculture hall of fame for innovation in agriculture.  My father invented products that are still used today for farming.  He was on several committees at UNL developing products and markets for agriculture.  He was designated an admiral in the Great Navy of Nebraska because of his work as a state Ambassador working on these projects.  My son is now in Agribusiness and Agronomy at UNL and hopes to work in the industry.  I personally have invested in cattle over the years and still pay quite a bit of attention to the industry along with actively managing our farm and marketing our crops.

What were you asking again???

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

I'd be excited to know where these large piles of rotting grain are located.

Actually, this is the first year ever, that our local elevator is storing beans outside I have never seen that here before.  Typically, it would have already been hauled to the North East to be loaded at the port.  But.....there isn't any place to go with it right now.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do farmers have damaged crop in your area?  If so, are the elevators taking them with no problem?

As far as the bolded:  That's the issue the article takes on.  Bins are full.  Much fuller than usual and there isn't a demand to match the inventory.  

I guess you need to specify what type of damage your talking about.  There are various things a crop will be docked for.  I have not heard any farmers talk about not being to sell any grain here in my area because of damage.   I have been involved heavily in the ag. industry through my business, and through my own farming for 30+ years, and haven't heard of any widespread problems with damage.  Some years Aflatoxin is a problem, but I don't believe it was this year here in my area at least.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, my family is a 4th generation farming family and I actively manage the farm land now.  Our other business is involved in agriculture.  I have an agribusiness degree and my first love was wanting to be in the cattle business.  We own one of the oldest farms in the county and our farm is the location of the first well drilled in the county.  My grandfather is in the Nebraska Agriculture hall of fame for innovation in agriculture.  My father invented products that are still used today for farming.  He was on several committees at UNL developing products and markets for agriculture.  He was designated an admiral in the Great Navy of Nebraska because of his work as a state Ambassador working on these projects.  My son is now in Agribusiness and Agronomy at UNL and hopes to work in the industry.  I personally have invested in cattle over the years and still pay quite a bit of attention to the industry along with actively managing our farm and marketing our crops.

What I am asking is where are these damaged crops that the elevators aren't taking, that the article was talking about?

Congrats on wanting to be in the cattle business, that is a great first love.  I know I take great pride in  taking care of my cows/calves every morning and night after I work my regular job in town.

So, tell me where these damaged crops in fields are here in Nebraska, or the large piles of damaged grain. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fixed one thing.

It's important to remember, these companies MUST make a profit. That isn't greed from the stock holders. If they don't make tough decisions that keep them making a profit, we end up with what we had in 2010 with them on the verge of going out of business and everyone losing jobs.

And here we have it revealed who the true untouchable rulers of the American aristocracy are. 

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What % of your crops were damaged in the 2018 harvest, and what did you do with them, or what are you planning on doing with them?  What type of damage did they have?

36 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

What I am asking is where are these damaged crops that the elevators aren't taking, that the article was talking about?

Congrats on wanting to be in the cattle business, that is a great first love.  I know I take great pride in  taking care of my cows/calves every morning and night after I work my regular job in town.

So, tell me where these damaged crops in fields are here in Nebraska, or the large piles of damaged grain. 

I'm confused.  Where in the article does it say there are crops rotting in the fields in Nebraska?

Ou crops were very good this year. Just wish they were worth something and the elevator had a place to ship them too.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm confused.  Where in the article does it say there are crops rotting in the fields in Nebraska?

Ou crops were very good this year. Just wish they were worth something and the elevator had a place to ship them too.

Sorry to confuse you...

"Across the United States, grain farmers are plowing under crops, leaving them to rot or piling them on the ground, in hopes of better prices next year, according to interviews with more than two dozen farmers, academic researchers and farm lenders. It’s one of the results, they say, of a U.S. trade war with China that has sharply hurt export demand and swamped storage facilities with excess grain. "

I would assume that by saying across the United States, that the article is implying that this is a wide spread problem?  I would also assume that by saying across the United States encompasses all of the United States and last I looked Nebraska was considered a State?  Like I said I deal with farmers every day, from Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri.  I have been given no indication that there is a problem, nor have I had any of them they are plowing under crops, leaving them to rot, or piling them on the ground. 

I would also like to apologize for my spelling/punctuation neither are strong points of mine.

15 minutes ago, Huskertrapper said:

Sorry to confuse you...

"Across the United States, grain farmers are plowing under crops, leaving them to rot or piling them on the ground, in hopes of better prices next year, according to interviews with more than two dozen farmers, academic researchers and farm lenders. It’s one of the results, they say, of a U.S. trade war with China that has sharply hurt export demand and swamped storage facilities with excess grain. "

I would assume that by saying across the United States, that the article is implying that this is a wide spread problem?  I would also assume that by saying across the United States encompasses all of the United States and last I looked Nebraska was considered a State?  Like I said I deal with farmers every day, from Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri.  I have been given no indication that there is a problem, nor have I had any of them they are plowing under crops, leaving them to rot, or piling them on the ground. 

I would also like to apologize for my spelling/punctuation neither are strong points of mine.

Literally the very next paragraph:

"In Louisiana, up to 15 percent of the oilseed crop is being plowed under or is too damaged to market, according to data analyzed by Louisiana State University staff. Crops are going to waste in parts of Mississippi and Arkansas. Grain piles, dusted by snow, sit on the ground in North and South Dakota. And in Illinois and Indiana, some farmers are struggling to protect silo bags stuffed with crops from animals."

I think you might be sticking a little hard to this one issue.  The issue of tilling under damaged crops, and farmers leaving in the field isn't a wide problem by itself.  But it is a symptom of a larger crisis.  That is that farmers produced way more grain than the market needs.  Like BRB said, a lot of farmers had a great crop, just nowhere to go with it.

As to the bolded: I would say the price of soybeans is a pretty big indication of a problem.

• Thanks 1