The Trump Economy

2 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I did read quite a bit on the issue and no one came right out and said why its happening . That’s why I said I “think “ that’s a contributing factor . 

If you want to have honest discussions with other people, or yourself, when a hypothesis pops into your head, you should try to find out whether it’s correct. That search I did didn’t take much time and it proves your hypothesis wrong. Immigrants can’t be the reason wage growth has slowed if their wage growth is higher than that of natives. 

• Plus1 1

Trump's real progress is nil, while he tries to give the illusion of progress so says this article.

Some facts

Trade deficit is at a 10 year high

Trade deficit wt China is at an all time high

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-claims-progress-for-promises-unfulfilled-20190305-story.html

“The more tenuous his rhetoric’s connection to reality becomes, it’s harder to sustain the illusion,” said Michael Steel, a Republican consultant in Washington who served as press secretary to former House Speaker John A. Boehner.

“He has big accomplishments: tax cuts, conservative judges, regulatory reforms, a strong economy. But on the big things he’s most focused on — the wall, talks with North Korea — he has not been able to get the results that he's promised over and over again.”

Yet for the president’s most ardent supporters, the lack of results on his most prominent promises, and his hyperbole, may not matter given the cult of personality Trump has created around himself.

Growth is forcasted to slow this year

https://www.france24.com/en/20190306-us-growth-slow-considerably-2019-ny-fed

The US economy should slow "considerably" in 2019 as the boost from last year's economic stimulus fades, the president of the New York Federal Reserve Bank said Wednesday.

Amid economic uncertainty, the Federal Reserve could "wait" before raising interest rates again, John Williams said in remarks to the Economic Club of New York.

Budget deficit widens

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-budget-deficit-widens-77-190217899.html

The U.S. budget deficit widened to $310 billion in the first four months of the fiscal year, underscoring the revenue hit from Republican tax cuts and an increase in government spending.

The budget gap widened 77 percent compared with the same October-January period a year earlier, according to the Treasury monthly budget report released on Tuesday, which was delayed by the government shutdown. Receipts fell by 2 percent to $1.1 trillion, while spending rose 9 percent to $1.4 trillion.

I love how when I talk to Republicans they have been chirping Trump's mantra about how he's going to spur tremendous growth in the GDP and everything is going to be fantastic.

NOW....I hear them talk about recession predictions or how things are going to slow and their mantra is..."Well, it's always going to pull back sooner or later.

Or...the best one.  They say, "Withs all the "EXPERTS" talking about it, it's bound to happen".  Like it's the "EXPERTS" fault.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I love how when I talk to Republicans they have been chirping Trump's mantra about how he's going to spur tremendous growth in the GDP and everything is going to be fantastic.

NOW....I hear them talk about recession predictions or how things are going to slow and their mantra is..."Well, it's always going to pull back sooner or later.

Or...the best one.  They say, "Withs all the "EXPERTS" talking about it, it's bound to happen".  Like it's the "EXPERTS" fault.

It is all about inputs = outputs       A needless tax cut, big spending, tariffs  all of those inputs are going to create a drag on the economy.  Not including Trump derangement syndrome - we are all getting tired of his actions and ARE GOING NUTS :madash:blink::D

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not including Trump derangement syndrome - we are all getting tired of his actions and ARE GOING NUTS :madash:blink::D

"all" is a strong word.  And incorrect.

Granted, my circle of friends and acquaintances doesn't talk politics much, but......

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm just glad Republicans are actually willing to listen to experts.

They consistently ignore the scientific consensus on climate change, but at least they're not going to accept the party line BS on the economy.

Tom Nichols' book "The Death of Expertise" is highly recommended. This is becoming a societal problem - everyone thinks they know just as well or better than literal experts on any given issue.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, commando said:

oh look.....trump has hired another expert (read toady)

Maybe these types of appointments are what Trump supporters mean when they say, "Trump has been so consumed defending himself from the bogus Russian investigation he doesn't have time to properly perform his presidential duties"?

• Plus1 4

Just now, FrankWheeler said:

Maybe these types of appointments are what Trump supporters mean when they say, "Trump has been so consumed defending himself from the bogus Russian investigation he doesn't have time to properly perform his presidential duties"?

between the tweeting and golf i am shocked he has time to do anything.

4 hours ago, FrankWheeler said:

Occam's Razor says he's just a moron appointing anyone who kisses his backside.

• Plus1 3