The Trump Economy

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just saw an article stating we are likely to end this decade without a single recession, the first time that has happened in 170 years. Thanks Obama! 

One of the points Republicans had faux outrage about in 2016 is that the recovery from the Great Recession was so slow.  I always had the attitude that I would much more appreciate a slow and steady recovery instead of the economy taking off like a rocket then crashing again form a bubble. 

It appears my preference is what has happened.  Yes, thanks Obama.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Goldman-Sachs says the economy is nearly recession proof.    I wish I could believe them.    Based on their prediction in 2007 copied below, maybe it is time to take your money and run!!

The 'drunk on the S&P' optimism is somewhat reminiscent of the roaring 20s.  We know how that ended.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/31/goldman-sachs-is-saying-the-economy-is-nearly-recession-proof.html

To be sure, there’s danger in becoming too sanguine about the economy.

GDP grew at a 2.5% rate in the fourth quarter of 2007 before plummeting to an 8.4% decline in the third quarter of 2008, when Lehman Brothers collapsed and triggered a crisis that nearly crushed the entire global financial system. Goldman itself in late 2007 predicted double-digit percent gains for the stock market in 2008, a year during which the S&P 500 tumbled 37% for its worst performance since 1931.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, knapplc said:

I know these people all get their news from Fox, but at what point does the noise from their pocketbook drown out the noise from the TV?

On 11/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, knapplc said:

Thanks Trump!

Saw these posts...thought this would be of interest--the amount of the farm bailout due to Trump's Chinese tariffs and trade war has surpassed the 2008 Auto Bailout, and it's being paid via the President directly by reassigning funds meant for low-income families (e.g. SNAP). 

Rolling Stone Article

Farm subsidies have now hit a 14-year high after the USDA sent out payments of approximately $16 billion in aid in 2019 and $12 billion in 2018. The two-year total of $28 billion paid to American farmers tops the auto-industry bailout following the 2008 financial crisis by billions.

Don't know what's more pathetic and despicable:

• The Trump Administration reassigning money meant for low-income families without Congressional approval
  • The hypocrisy of these farmers taking bailout/buyoff payments from Trump and then decrying welfare or other social service expenditures
  • That the GOP is sitting on their hands in Congress watching this happen and not taking any action (remember the deficit?) 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How can we afford Tru..I mean Bernies policies? 

It's funny because none of our Ever Trumper friends is complaining about this. Especially the one who was super vocal about the cost of the Green New Deal. What was that user's name again?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's funny because none of our Ever Trumper friends is complaining about this. Especially the one who was super vocal about the cost of the Green New Deal. What was that user's name again?

Honestly I can't even remember but I know who you are talking about. But yea, forget about fiscal responsibility. Trump has the economy flying high, because stonks! 

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Yea, what a great conservative he is.   Funny how conservatism has been redefined by this admin and how the GOP has sunk to Trump's level.  Long dead is the fiscal conservative.  He doesn't exist in the GOP except as a pretense to say we can't afford health care but we can afford a physical boarder wall,  we can't afford campaign finance law regulation, but we can afford allowing the Russians (NOT THE UKRAINIANS ) to tap into our elections, we can't afford infrastructure rebuild (where is that great plan by the way) but we can afford spending money at Trump properties world wide, etc, etc 

• Plus1 2