The Trump Economy

41 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

Hey man, in 2009 I really liked Call of Duty. It was made by Activision (ATVI). Had some savings I wanted to play with. My wife was pissed at me for playing video games and investing in them. Something along the same critique "Just because you like the video game doesn't mean it's good investment. No matter how many copies they sell of that stupid game." Joke was on her. Sold it for just over a 500% gain thanks to their micro transaction business model. Then she said it was "our money". Joke's on me.

Not really the same as investing in Lysol or more accurately Reckitt Bensckiser (makers of lysol) because of a virus scare. Short term demand isn't going to drastically affect stock prices in most cases. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not really the same as investing in Lysol or more accurately Reckitt Bensckiser (makers of lysol) because of a virus scare. Short term demand isn't going to drastically affect stock prices in most cases. 

RB is down 7%...which is a HUGE win for them right now...also the fact that you (and everyone else) realizes this is a short term scare just goes to show how stupid this all is...

The market is about to "crash" but RB will go down way less...

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

RB is down 7%...which is a HUGE win for them right now...also the fact that you (and everyone else) realizes this is a short term scare just goes to show how stupid this all is...

The market is about to "crash" but RB will go down way less...

How is being down a huge win for them? I didnt say the coronavirus was a short term scare, I said demand for lysol is going to be short term in relativity to the market and therefor won't have a positive effect on stock prices. 

8 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

How is being down a huge win for them? I didnt say the coronavirus was a short term scare, I said demand for lysol is going to be short term in relativity to the market and therefor won't have a positive effect on stock prices. 

Ahhh, got it!

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

So Trump seems like he's handling the stock market melting down well.

"Oil down, good for gas prices!"

(FYI I looked this up last night and it should take ~6 weeks for gas prices to reflect the drop in crude prices.)

Yeah, I'm not sure Trump fully understands the value chain associated with nat gas production. Our oversupply is a by product of Shale production, which means it'll take quite some time for any sort of positive bounce in Nat Gas prices to be realized. As you said, strip pricing has bumped up, but is still hovering around $2/bbl. 6 months is far too long for Aramco to keep prices as depressed as the market currently has them priced, based of spot prices. People seem to forget that Aramco is still in the midst of trying to IPO on various exchanges and the depressed prices will not bode well for their offerings (stock is currently trading below what it IPO'd at on the local Saudi exchange).

4 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Yeah, I'm not sure Trump fully understands the value chain associated with nat gas production. Our oversupply is a by product of Shale production, which means it'll take quite some time for any sort of positive bounce in Nat Gas prices to be realized. As you said, strip pricing has bumped up, but is still hovering around $2/bbl. 6 months is far too long for Aramco to keep prices as depressed as the market currently has them priced, based of spot prices. People seem to forget that Aramco is still in the midst of trying to IPO on various exchanges and the depressed prices will not bode well for their offerings (stock is currently trading below what it IPO'd at on the local Saudi exchange).

I was assuming the "gas prices" he's talking about are gas prices at the pump for your car.

7 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Thanks for your insight.

Admittedly I'm not well versed in this stuff and a lot of what you said is difficult for me to decipher. In your opinion is this deal a net negative for the economy and if so, how big of one?

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was assuming the "gas prices" he's talking about are gas prices at the pump for your car.

Ah, you're probably right. Didn't even think of it in that terms, tend to take a myopic view given that my profession is centered on capital raising for the various hydrocarbon producers (Energy Investment Banking). So that is correct, from a fuel standpoint this is a good thing.

16 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Thanks for your insight.

Admittedly I'm not well versed in this stuff and a lot of what you said is difficult for me to decipher. In your opinion is this deal a net negative for the economy and if so, how big of one?

No worries, energy is one of the more esoteric / highly nuanced industries when it comes to lingo. Add on the finance lingo (which again seems to be way too complicated for what it really is - accounting), and its just entirely too complex.

With regards to the net positive stance, I'd say highly dependent on regional dependence. For example, at a macro level, its positive as @BigRedBuster alluded to with the decrease in energy / gas prices. But that is only as far as consumers continue their trend of consumption. Which is a bit more cloudy, since we aren't too sure how big of an impact coronavirus will have on the economy / consumer trends. If everyone foregoes traveling (i.e. utilization) it is almost a wasted benefit. The country's GDP is also less impacted by the energy space (due in large part to the oversupply from increased production which has resulted in lower gasoline prices over the last ~4-5 years), which means you'd expect the consumers to benefit with less than historical norm headwinds associated with lower profits from the independents. Here in Texas, the economy will be a bit more negatively impacted, just due to the value chain shutting down (i.e. lower skilled workers who make $80-100k in the oil fields will no longer be in demand).  It is quite fascinating seeing all the red on the RBCRichardsonBarr website, which tracks most of the O&G names.

http://www.rbcrichardsonbarr.com/

Edit: With regards to your initial question, you should see a quicker impact on gasoline prices than ~6 weeks. Sorry, almost forgot to answer that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Funny how tweets come around and bite hard in the butt.

ESrOV1sWAAEsl6P?format=jpg&name=medium

While a Trump cult member defends

SO I guess wt the market falling over 2000 pts, Trump should expect to be shot out of the solar system  based on his previous tweet above   :dunno

9 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

So Trump seems like he's handling the stock market melting down well.

"Oil down, good for gas prices!"

(FYI I looked this up last night and it should take ~6 weeks for gas prices to reflect the drop in crude prices.)

Well...yeah...it is a future...

I don't think it will ever get under 2.00 dollars again but maybe!  

Not sure how it will impact flying BUT you might be able to find some cheap a$$ flights in May!