The Trump Economy

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's pretty much my point too.  And.....it's idiotic that the government (Trump) has even put them in this position.

The funny thing is if you step back and look at it, these bafoons in Washington have no clue about how rural America operates. Not one of them probably stopped to think, "hey, maybe we should try to time this to have the least impact on the current crop that is already planted and must be harvested this year."  They could have had the whole fall to negotiate, and winter to implement the tariffs, that way the farmers could plan ahead for next season.

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The funny thing is if you step back and look at it, these bafoons in Washington have no clue about how rural America operates. Not one of them probably stopped to think, "hey, maybe we should try to time this to have the least impact on the current crop that is already planted and must be harvested this year."  They could have had the whole fall to negotiate, and winter to implement the tariffs, that way the farmers could plan ahead for next season.

You're saying a billionaire from New York City doesn't understand farming?

Shocking.....

• Plus1 1

There's a liberal argument that small farmers just shouldn't be a thing in the first place. it's too risky of a venture by yourself to be able to take that kind of risk of loss year after year. 

But until the time that it's sustainable without handouts, and until the time that the farming community gets a bit more educated and stops voting against their best interests, I'll sit over here chuckling with sadness.

I guess it's just us Trump haters left in here, but this is the endgame I'd hoped the GOP apologists would be forced to recognize:

"This year, General Motors received a $514 million tax break as a result of Trump’s tax giveaway to the wealthy. But instead of using that money to raise wages, increase benefits or add more jobs it is doing the exact opposite.

"Today, GM announced that it would be laying off nearly 15,000 workers and close plants in Michigan, Ohio and Maryland to 'increase the long-term profit and cash generation' of the company. That is outrageous.

"Let’s be clear. GM is not a poor company. It is not going broke. So far this year, GM has made a profit of $6 billion and had enough money to spend $100 million on stock buybacks to enrich its wealthy shareholders. Last year, it gave its CEO a $22 million compensation package – 295 times more than the average GM worker makes.

"Under Trump, it has also received $600 million in lucrative federal contracts. Government contracts should be going to companies that create jobs in America, not to businesses that are eliminating them. The corporate greed of General Motors is destroying the social fabric of America."

- Bernie Sanders

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I guess it's just us Trump haters left in here, but this is the endgame I'd hoped the GOP apologists would be forced to recognize:

"This year, General Motors received a $514 million tax break as a result of Trump’s tax giveaway to the wealthy. But instead of using that money to raise wages, increase benefits or add more jobs it is doing the exact opposite.

"Today, GM announced that it would be laying off nearly 15,000 workers and close plants in Michigan, Ohio and Maryland to 'increase the long-term profit and cash generation' of the company. That is outrageous.

"Let’s be clear. GM is not a poor company. It is not going broke. So far this year, GM has made a profit of $6 billion and had enough money to spend $100 million on stock buybacks to enrich its wealthy shareholders. Last year, it gave its CEO a $22 million compensation package – 295 times more than the average GM worker makes.

"Under Trump, it has also received $600 million in lucrative federal contracts. Government contracts should be going to companies that create jobs in America, not to businesses that are eliminating them. The corporate greed of General Motors is destroying the social fabric of America."

- Bernie Sanders

Somehow it would be Obamas fault 

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

- Bernie Sanders

Let's be real here Bernie. What are the supposed to do, keep plants open that are losing them money in the long run? How outrageous that they want to continue making a profit!

8 hours ago, ZRod said:

Let's be real here Bernie. What are the supposed to do, keep plants open that are losing them money in the long run? How outrageous that they want to continue making a profit!

I've read almost nothing about it. Were the plants losing money now or in the long run? All I have the quote is below.

'increase the long-term profit and cash generation'

15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I've read almost nothing about it. Were the plants losing money now or in the long run? All I have the quote is below.

'increase the long-term profit and cash generation'

I couldn't tell you, and it doesn't really matter which it is imo. Bernie pointed out the reason himself. GM wants keep making a profit. They're already late to the party in cutting back on car production.

16 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I couldn't tell you, and it doesn't really matter which it is imo. Bernie pointed out the reason himself. GM wants keep making a profit. They're already late to the party in cutting back on car production.

It doesn’t matter which it is but it could be neither, unless something you read said it was one or the other. 

Anyhow, they can do whatever they want with their company but I agree completely with Bernie about the ridiculous tax break. They were never going to use the savings to increase jobs/wages. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I couldn't tell you, and it doesn't really matter which it is imo. Bernie pointed out the reason himself. GM wants MUST keep making a profit. They're already late to the party in cutting back on car production.

Fixed one thing.

It's important to remember, these companies MUST make a profit. That isn't greed from the stock holders. If they don't make tough decisions that keep them making a profit, we end up with what we had in 2010 with them on the verge of going out of business and everyone losing jobs.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It doesn’t matter which it is but it could be neither, unless something you read said it was one or the other. 

Anyhow, they can do whatever they want with their company but I agree completely with Bernie about the ridiculous tax break. They were never going to use the savings to increase jobs/wages. 

Agreed. Detroit is pretty pissed because they used eminent domain to take some of the land for their plant in Hamtramck back in the 80s. They tore down a portion of a Polish neighborhood. I think it's ridiculousl that corporations can get such massive tax breaks from local, state, and federal governments when Joe Schmoe doesn't get squat.  Foxcon just royally screwed Wisconsin in their dealings.

• Plus1 1