The Trump Economy

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How much to people think even a cheap college like UNL costs?

Hide contents

Resident: $21,286 per year

Non-resident: $37,726

link

There are costs in those figures that do not need to be incurred.  For instance, I believe they assume the child will be living on campus, have a full meal plan and parking...etc.  It's cheaper to live off campus in an apartment with room mates.  That's just one example.  Rent books instead of buying them.  Much cheaper.

I have two kids at UNL undergrad.  It is not costing them that much every year to go to college.

My third one went to Wayne State for undergrad (actually really good school) and she was way cheaper than UNL.

Actually, to imply that UNL is a "cheap college" is laughable.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How much to people think even a cheap college like UNL costs?

Hide contents

Resident: $21,286 per year

Non-resident: $37,726

link

Like I said, my first year was 2011, unlike teach who went to school in the 1950s. I'm sure it's more expensive now than in 2014, but what I've been saying still applies. Poor kids can get student loans and pell grants to pay for school. Also, "needing" to go out of state school is not a good use of a life's savings either, imho.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Like I said, my first year was 2011, unlike teach who went to school in the 1950s. I'm sure it's more expensive now but what I've been saying still applies. Poor kids can get student loans and pell grants to pay for school. Also, "needing" to go out of state school is not a good use of a life's savings either, imho.

Parking my horse and carriage was always a problem on campus!

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I mean, I am in education so I am familiar with the costs.  

I am on your side.  What she did was amazing and wonderful and it is what all parents want to do for their kids.  Everyone is just saying that there are other ways that she could have helped and not spent all her money right away.

I get that there are other ways to pay for things. We can nit pick how what other people spend their money on, but that wasn't the point. Here's the original thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1244453401183715329.html

And here's the point:

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

These responses show me just how broken our system is. A single parent of two children who managed to save her money should just sit on it instead of helping her kids because there's this chance that something terrible could happen. This is why we need a social safety net.

I'm guessing none of you are parents. I'd blow my life savings to help my kid get through college without debt. Guaranteed helping my kid versus possible bad things happening to me isn't even a difficult choice.

I'd echo the sentiments of others. My parents, specifically my Mom, was always what you describe here - she'd give any amount of money if she thought it would tangibly improve my quality of life and same goes for my 3 brothers. I always appreciated her/them for it. But eventually their money management got so out of control they had to file for bankruptcy. And then I wound up financing my education on my own because they always got denied on the Parent Plus loan. As an aside, that may have been one way this mother helped her child through college without busting the proverbial piggy bank open immediately - helping split the cost of college.

I started school one year before Moiraine and I think she's given great advice on what savings should look like for most people. Again it sounds like this mom was doing great in that area considering her kids and sending money to her parents monthly on a waitress salary. And you'll get no argument from me cost of college and our social safety net need reformed. But that doesn't change the fact she made a poor fiscal decision by giving away her entire rainy day fund.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Well, that is a sobering read...

"If the public response to the debts accumulated by the crisis is austerity, that will make matters worse. It makes sense to call instead for a more active, more visionary government to lead the way out of the crisis. But the question, of course, is what form that will take and which political forces will control it."

I know who I DON"T want to control it.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Well, that is a sobering read...

"If the public response to the debts accumulated by the crisis is austerity, that will make matters worse. It makes sense to call instead for a more active, more visionary government to lead the way out of the crisis. But the question, of course, is what form that will take and which political forces will control it."

I know who I DON"T want to control it.

I don't want either of the pro-corporate parties in charge of it, but based on the Presidential candidates, we're screwed.