Higher Rankings?

I like to think, like many of us, that we have a class so far of under-rated commitments. Here’s hoping the coaching staff is finding prospects who are better than their stars. If all these commitments stick, along with the future ones, it will be interesting to see if N recruiting rankings go up significantly by these players performing to a higher level as Frost expects them to. Of course it could go the opposite direction. Either way, it still comes down to developement. Of course what the future signees do in two to three years will be most telling. 

I think this staff is recruiting a specific type of player that fits a system that is very unique. Back when Frost was coaching at Oregon, I don't remember Chip Kelly just absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail, he recruited a very specific type of player, and as the wins started coming and the success became super mainstream, it seemed like then when Oregon offered a player his rankings seemed to go up. I look for the same thing to happen here. If we start winning like we all hope we should, then the kids Frost & Co. offer will be ranked higher because this staff offered them. If Nick Saban offers a 3* RB, you bet your butt that he's going to blow up in the rankings to a 4 or 5* in the next year. Again, I think that kind of thing could happen here

4 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I think this staff is recruiting a specific type of player that fits a system that is very unique. Back when Frost was coaching at Oregon, I don't remember Chip Kelly just absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail, he recruited a very specific type of player, and as the wins started coming and the success became super mainstream, it seemed like then when Oregon offered a player his rankings seemed to go up. I look for the same thing to happen here. If we start winning like we all hope we should, then the kids Frost & Co. offer will be ranked higher because this staff offered them. If Nick Saban offers a 3* RB, you bet your butt that he's going to blow up in the rankings to a 4 or 5* in the next year. Again, I think that kind of thing could happen here

True. Same things happen when Urban Meyer and Ohio State offer.

4 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

When Chip was OC for 2 years prior of being the HC (11, 19) - they were 28, 49 the two years prior to him there 
When he was the HC (32, 13, 9, 16)

So overall I think they recruited probably better than we will be able to. Right now Frost is 21st the first year, and sitting 27th ATM. I think we will be able to get that 15-20 range consistently. 

36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

When Chip was OC for 2 years prior of being the HC (11, 19) - they were 28, 49 the two years prior to him there 
When he was the HC (32, 13, 9, 16)

So overall I think they recruited probably better than we will be able to. Right now Frost is 21st the first year, and sitting 27th ATM. I think we will be able to get that 15-20 range consistently. 

I am not too far off from your thinking. But I think we will be more in the 12-18 range more years. With a few great years that get us in the top 10 every few years. IMO that is good enough to be a perennial top 10 team with this scheme and his superior play calling and coaching abilities. Which in turn gives us a shot every year to compete for a NC if the chips fall right for us. 

Especially if this staff holds together- which it sounds like it would take something special to get them to leave. Staff continuity is huge. 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am not too far off from your thinking. But I think we will be more in the 12-18 range more years. With a few great years that get us in the top 10 every few years. IMO that is good enough to be a perennial top 10 team with this scheme and his superior play calling and coaching abilities. Which in turn gives us a shot every year to compete for a NC if the chips fall right for us. 

Especially if this staff holds together- which it sounds like it would take something special to get them to leave. Staff continuity is huge. 

Yeah I think we will have some better years recruiting once we start winning games. To say we will have enough to compete for a NC every year is a little bold. I'm on the Frost train more than any one but we should hold back on comments like that for now 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Yeah I think we will have some better years recruiting once we start winning games. To say we will have enough to compete for a NC every year is a little bold. I'm on the Frost train more than any one but we should hold back on comments like that for now 

I dont think its too bold. I think its fair during the osborne years to say we had the talent and a good enough coaching staff to compete for a national title every year. We obviously didnt win every year- sometimes we lost 2-3 games. But we had a good enough team every year that at the start of the season the fan base could legitimately say we can beat anyone on our schedule. If you can say that then you have the chance to go undefeated. Its not easy- but its possible. 

The last 15 years we have been inept at coaching and or talent so I dont think anyone realistically thought this is our year since the late 90's. I think Frost will bring that back that every year at the start of the season you can honestly think. We can win them all. 

• Plus1 1

I think you guys are right. If we beat the predictions this year and go, for example, 8 and 4 — the opposite of last season — that could increase our recruiting rankings, in addition to these commitments having as good or better of a season. I am seeing the talent level and the conditioning good enough to win eight games in the regular season this year. But if N goes 6 and 6 and we are competitive, I am okay with that, as the learning curve in the transition could understandably slow things down. 

14 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Or at least handing out official visits. :P

The NCAA doesn't make it easy on new coaches, do they. The early signing period means you not only scramble with the transition class, but then have almost two classes committed before you've even played a game. Oh, and you have to do all of this with official visits not resetting until August with the last staff likely having used most of them before you arrive.

In that perspective, what they've done is incredible. We've gotten these kids to buy in on promise alone. As much as they've bought in to this staff, I imagine we will do fine recruiting once we can prove we can replicate success. The advantage they have is the kind of kid they want often has parents receptive to the atmosphere being built. Re-establish a winning tradition, get those families on campus, and I think we will be fine. 

• Plus1 2

This staff has achieved 15 commits prior to the start of the season without using an official visit. They aren't in a position of making questionable offers based on need, given this time period either. They know the type of athlete and more importantly type person that is required to fit the system and build the culture. I have zero concern with any of the star rankings. We have failed chasing stars under the past 3 coaching staffs. 

9 minutes ago, theknife said:

This staff has achieved 15 commits prior to the start of the season without using an official visit. They aren't in a position of making questionable offers based on need, given this time period either. They know the type of athlete and more importantly type person that is required to fit the system and build the culture. I have zero concern with any of the star rankings. We have failed chasing stars under the past 3 coaching staffs. 

16...come on, don't short em!

I think what Frost & Co. is doing is going to be more valuable than mere "recruiting rankings". And winning at Nebraska is just part of the formula (although obviously the most important one to Cornhusker fans). What a lot of these kids are going to be looking for is the opportunity to develop and a chance to play at the next level. I think that Frost is going to be able to do is sit in a 3 or 4 star recruit's living room and tell them that in his system, with his facilities, strengths & nutrition program this kid is a 5-star... its just that few people realize that.

Getting an offer from Nebraska is going to be highly prized, perhaps like it never has been before. And when Frost & Co. start putting players in the NFL, thanks to their system, blue-chippers are going to be crawling all over themselves to get here. For that matter, Nebraska is going to attract walk-ons who believe in themselves, and just want the opportunity that Frost's system can supply them.

It's not drinking the kool-aid to see what is happening & the pieces being put in place and recognize that the future is so bright we need to wear shades:

VerduzcoSmiling.png

Lyrics
I study nuclear science 
I love my classes 
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses 
Things are going great, and they're only getting better 

• Plus1 1