Homegrown Huskers

Mavric

It looks like Nebraska has Chicken Pox.

I think that other places are starting to ramp up recruiting the "middle of nowhere Nebraska" kids better. Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota have all done a good job of showing the kids the love when we havent. I would assume in the 90's you take a walk on offer from Nebraska over a scholarship elsewhere but now I think with how expensive school is, kids are more willing to go where they can save money.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think that other places are starting to ramp up recruiting the "middle of nowhere Nebraska" kids better. Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota have all done a good job of showing the kids the love when we havent. I would assume in the 90's you take a walk on offer from Nebraska over a scholarship elsewhere but now I think with how expensive school is, kids are more willing to go where they can save money.

I would guess this is one of the biggest reasons.  We don't have as many scholarships to dole out as we used to (no one does) and it's a bigger financial hit for the kids to walk-on here versus take a scholarship to a Dakota school.

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would guess this is one of the biggest reasons.  We don't have as many scholarships to dole out as we used to (no one does) and it's a bigger financial hit for the kids to walk-on here versus take a scholarship to a Dakota school.

And kids also tend to have some "ego"(this hasnt changed from 80's and 90's.) and maybe go where they are deemed "wanted".

I think this will get better simply because we should hopefully get back to using the walk-on program as it should be used. 

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think this is 100 percent correct.

15 years ago, college was a lot cheaper and all four of the Dakota schools were in Division II. Now, college is dramatically more expensive and all four Dakota schools are FCS/IAA.

Last year, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and South Dakota each made the FCS playoffs. SDSU made the semifinals and NDSU won the whole thing, again.

I think now if kids don't get a power five offer, they don't have a problem taking a scholarship to a loaded FCS team over a middling MAC or Mountain West school. And it's hard to blame them either. Get school paid for and win a whole bunch of games. They usually play at an FBS school each year too.

/Full disclosure, I went to one of the four Dakota schools. To keep character, I won't say which one and will continue to pretend to be a German terrorist/thief instead.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

15 years ago, college was a lot cheaper and all four of the Dakota schools were in Division II. Now, college is dramatically more expensive and all four Dakota schools are FCS/IAA.

Last year, North Dakota State, South Dakota State and South Dakota each made the FCS playoffs. SDSU made the semifinals and NDSU won the whole thing, again.

I think now if kids don't get a power five offer, they don't have a problem taking a scholarship to a loaded FCS team over a middling MAC or Mountain West school. And it's hard to blame them either. Get school paid for and win a whole bunch of games. They usually play at an FBS school each year too.

/Full disclosure, I went to one of the four Dakota schools. To keep character, I won't say which one and will continue to pretend to be a German terrorist/thief instead.

Are you Craig Bohl? You didn't say you attended. You said you "went."

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I can’t read the article in either, but I’ve found his writing has matured recently. When he came on the scene whenever it was, I found his POV and writing style irritating. Like he was trying to hard. Or maybe I’ve matured 

I think it depends on his subject in all honesty.  I think a small part of him still enjoys twisting the knife into the fan base a little bit when things are going poorly.  You could certainly make the argument that the fan base is a little more wounded when the team stinks and naturally will get perturbed.  The thing is, I've never really enjoyed Dirk's Nebraska sports commentary as I watch so much of it on my own that I don't really need someone's take on things because I can see what is happening with my own two eyes.  That being said, you give the guy 6 months to research a topic and access to the right people and he's going to weave a helluva story out of it.  There's certainly some truth to your statement about maturing as well.  The best thing he might've ever written is the story about the Kansas basketball friends.  I'm not sure mid 20s Dirk can properly write that story the same way mid 30s Dirk with kids can.  in the same vein, mid 20s me would've read that column and thought it was pretty good.  Late 30s me reads that column, holds my loved ones a little tighter and makes me have some existential thoughts about life in general. 

3 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Wait, there are four Dakotas now?  North, South, East, West?  j/k

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Are you Craig Bohl? You didn't say you attended. You said you "went."

No, I have significantly less money than Craig Bohl and I'm about half his age. I did attend one of the four.

/back in character

And I swindled them out of all their agriculture money too.

• Plus1 1