Pronunciation of words by Nebraskans

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Oh, here's another one that only one person mispronounces, and it bugs me every time -- my mother in-law, always pronounces the word, "says" as SAYz.  

Ok, HB - settle this one -- is it COOpon, or Que-pon?  I used to say the Q version, and my husband argued with me -- now I think the Q version seems weird.

Coopon

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Norfolk- Norfork

Virginia way- Norf#&%

Grocery. I've never heard or pronounced this as Groshery and I'm not snooty. There is no 'sh' in there.

Snooty is calling a vase a vozz.

And popiggle.....I've never heard that. Popsickle seems pretty straightforward.

Accurate I've heard both ways. Ackyurate seems right to me. I don't like ackerate.

I'll say comfortable both ways depending on usage and context.

I need to edit that ....

here on the east coast they call Fudgecicle (sp?) a fudgeical.  I screwed up with the popcicle stuff.  

And obviously I can't spell pop/fudgecicle.

So is my family or town the only ones who say groshery?

On Wash/Washington, we helped my mom unlearn that about 20 years ago, and now she has ZERO recollection of ever having said "Warshington." She flat out denies that she ever did it. Alzheimers does run in the females in her family but she should be about 15 years away from that...

Also, does anyone else know people who refer to boxelder bugs as Democrats?

And this isn't a regional thing, I don't think, but in one of Ed Sheeran's songs he pronounces "sixth" --> sickth

• Plus1 1

Just now, Moiraine said:

So is my family or town the only ones who says groshery?

On Wash/Washington, we helped my mom unlearn that about 20 years ago, and now she has ZERO recollection of ever having said "Warshington." She flat out denies that she ever did it. Alzheimers does run in the females in her family but she should be about 15 years away from that...

No, I've always heard and said, groshery.  But, it's almost an imperceptible difference between the two, IMO.

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

So is my family or town the only ones who say groshery?

Also, does anyone else know people who refer to boxelder bugs as Democrats?

And this isn't a regional thing, I don't think, but in one of Ed Sheeran's songs he pronounces "sixth" --> sickth

"Grosh-ry"

• Plus1 1