Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

I'd love to see a follow-up question to Mike Riley on this ... get his take on all he meant by that.

As one who was on the Frost bandwagon to have him be the next Husker coach, this type of statement makes me wonder what all those folks who said Scott Frost didn't have enough experience to coach :bigredn: at the time ... would they take an "unproven" Frost or the "experienced" Mike Riley.  I fully realize that Frost would not have come and that the upper management was so poor that Frost probably wouldn't have even have wanted the job.  Yet, when you hear this statement now and the .500 type football record and the real demise and tarnish of the program just in the Riley years ... I wonder what all the, "Frost doesn't have the experience to coach :bigredn: yet" folks would have said about taking Frost over Riley.

Thankfully, Frost will be a coach who knows that he and his staff are the best place to develop the character of a kid and develop them into the best football player they can be ... Riley obviously didn't believe that of himself of his staff.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

You'd have to first prove he actually said it, instead of taking the word of a 17 year old kid.

On top of that, Osborne told Frost to stay at Stanford for spring camp, because he thought it was what was best for him.

We don't know the context. This was October. Riley probably figured he was going to get fired and couldn't promise Bookie anything about anything.

• Plus1 6
13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

On top of that, Osborne told Frost to stay at Stanford for spring camp, because he thought it was what was best for him.

We don't know the context. This was October. Riley probably figured he was going to get fired and couldn't promise Bookie anything about anything.

Remember that Riley lunch with Moose after firing?  There were still people believing that Riley should stick around in some capacity with recruiting or similar to fulfill his contract with new staff.  This shows exactly why a total house cleansing was needed...

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolhusker/status/935225494500503558

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

Remember that Riley lunch with Moose after firing?  There were still people believing that Riley should stick around in some capacity with recruiting or similar to fulfill his contract with new staff.  This shows exactly why a total house cleansing was needed...

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolhusker/status/935225494500503558

This incident doesn't show anything. His win-loss record does that. This is a whole lot of nothing. And some people (fans) only wanted him to stay because they felt sorry for him.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I am sooo over the numerous ways Riley or Pelini or Callahan screwed this program over. If I never see another mention of any of them it will be too soon. Looking forward only 

Agreed. Let's rehash this in three years when Nebraska has won another conference title and competed respectably on a national stage in the playoffs.  Then we can all look back on Bo & Riley and the guy before Bo as oddities, something to wonder about but not to lose sleep over.

• Plus1 3