Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

7 hours ago, Dagerow said:

I understand looking out for the best interests of a recruit, but you have to balance that with the best interest of the school you coach for (even if you likely will lose your job soon).  Riley certainly should have said something positive about Nebraska, like if a coaching change occurs, give the new coach a chance.

You mean SF - all MR had to say was that SF was coming and Bookie would have stayed.  If not, he's not a very smart kid.

1 hour ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

The only trouble I have with this is MR was right.   It would be better for Bookie to play at OU.  

Thanks for nothing Reily era.   I wonder if we can go Pedersen and try to remove those three years (outside of the players) from our history.

Regarding the bolded statement above - are you stating that on the day of this quote it would be a better decision or over the course of the next 4 years it would be a better decision?

49 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Prove it. Prove he was intentionally doing a bad job because he didn't care. And that's the rub right there, things like this, even if true, are notoriously difficult to prove.

If it comes out with more info of Riley telling numerous kids to go somewhere else other than Nebraska that is proof. I would venture to say that would be breach of his contractual fiduciary duties. That is essentially anti Nebraska recruiting 

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Regarding the bolded statement above - are you stating that on the day of this quote it would be a better decision or over the course of the next 4 years it would be a better decision?

I am being obtuse and bitter i admit.    I'll give some details.

As last season went on and the losses (and bad losses) mounted up it wasn't a surprise that talent jumped ship to schools that projected to have more wins, bowl games, and the same coaching staff.   

If it turns out that Bookie wanted to play 4 years for a coach who recruited him, play for a contender, play in bowl games, get to the NFL, etc... OU may have been a better choice for him. 

OU is in a different class of football program that NU was under MR and we all knew MR was going to be canned after the nauseating play from his team.

If Bookie wanted to go into a educational program that OU has a better program for, if he has family closer there, if he had a girlfriend further south of here, if he was offered something under the table from our lawless brothers to the south, if he has had a run in with a coach or trainer in his past that is on staff at NU and isn't comfortable around that person....I can see why MR suggested he go to OU.

The way it was presented it is easy to infer that MR directed his best commit(s) to other schools out of spite of his current team and employer.  I believe that MRs suggestion that Bookie go to OU, for whatever the reason, was truly better for Bookie and his needs. 

MR has enough integrity to want the best for the young men he tries to mentor, even if it isn't in his program.   So does Scott Frost I imagine. 

3 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

You're reaching...

As others have said, we have no idea what the context of this statement was, or if it was even said. Seems like you are jumping the gun a little bit here.

Your right it is early and I never said let’s take away his buyout today. But I think it’s worth looking into. 

When the first news came out bout the urban Meyer deal there was people on here saying it’s probably nothing, it’s just a crazy ex wife etc. then it blew up. 

When things leak like this I don’t think we need to jump to conclusions but we shouldn’t brush them off and ignore them either. It could be something bigger. 

It was rileys job to recruit talent not tell them to go somewhere else. I think frost would tell a kid to go elsewhere if he wasn’t a cultural fit- but if he wanted the kid no way he would give up and say go somewhere else 

12 hours ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

This quote supposedly happened when we were 4-4, with multiple games left...  Let that sink in.

But it happened when Bookie came to HCMR with how much he liked his visit and (seemingly) distraught at his predicament. Riley caring about Bookie the person more than Bookie the football player is a super stand up thing to do. TO told Scott Frost to stay at Stanford. 

Riley is a good man. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, gorp512 said:

But it happened when Bookie came to HCMR with how much he liked his visit and (seemingly) distraught at his predicament. Riley caring about Bookie the person more than Bookie the football player is a super stand up thing to do. TO told Scott Frost to stay at Stanford. 

Riley is a good man. 

You cant use that example. Do you think when TO was recruiting Frost do you think he told him yeah you should go to Stanford. Or do you think he fought for him to the last minute? Transferring and being a recruit on the open market are totally different in my mind. 

Regardless. I think this just shows how much Riley was not trying to win or be competitive. The team did not look competitive on the field and obviously we were not competitive in recruiting. Hence why he is fired.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Riley may have been doing it all wrong but I seriously doubt he was doing it wrong intentionally.

No one really knows. Maybe he knew he was on the way out. Or maybe he hated that he wasnt in control of the program "Eichorst was" and was forced to fire his buddy Banker and didnt want to really be here anymore. Maybe he was tired of hearing how Diaco was the best coach on campus. etc etc.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

he also said he'd go out and get the best coaches and then just hired his buddies.  maybe he was lying to bookie too.  who knows with that guy.  good riddance.

No, sadly Mike Riley really believed that he hired the best staff he could.  At least Bo knew he didn't do that.