Avery Roberts

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It matters a little if you’re demoted to the scout team. How many guys get playing time that started the season on the scout team? 

Scout teamers are usually walk-ons or redshirts, types you're not looking to play that year for a specific reason. Guys like Roberts/Jackson are ones the coaches want to play, but feel they can't. 

6 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Good point. This is the First Thing that might have a bit of a mismanagement that we've seen from the new regime.

Disagree. These guys have had to of known they were on the bottom for a bit. Shoot, Roberts has been getting hassled in the media for months. They knew, just waited.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Pretty sure it’s the start of fall camp, not the start of class

I was kind of thinking that as well.  A few years back Pelini kicked a couple guys off the team that I seem to remember being fairly early in the process and I think those scholarships couldn't be re-handed out.  Thomas Brown and someone else I think.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was kind of thinking that as well.  A few years back Pelini kicked a couple guys off the team that I seem to remember being fairly early in the process and I think those scholarships couldn't be re-handed out.  Thomas Brown and someone else I think.

I'm real sure you guys are on the right track, but I can't quote the exact bylaw on when that counter starts. 

4 hours ago, brophog said:

Scout teamers are usually walk-ons or redshirts, types you're not looking to play that year for a specific reason. Guys like Roberts/Jackson are ones the coaches want to play, but feel they can't. 

like everyone else, they had their shot........good luck to them regardless.

These are the times we live in. We now have a coaching staff whose modus operandi is competition all the time in everything they do. Throw that up against a more fluid college football landscape in which players are more willing to transfer for playing time opportunities and this is the result.

Good luck to both of them.

22 hours ago, mnhusker said:

Always a bummer to lose a player however this is a good thing.  Drive a tough program and folks will leave, this is far better, and shows more integrity on the part of Avery than athletes who basically quit but stay.   From an HR prospective the worst employee is the one that quits but doesn't leave.  Also if no athletes leave it may  indicate that the staff is not setting a challenging environment.  

17 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

So Barnett is quiting on the team by giving up playing due to concussions but staying on campus to finish his education, something totally normal, but Robert's is showing his integrity by leaving the team since he wasn't going to be handed a starting spot? 

I was only thinking about this situation as it related to Roberts.  Not intended to slight  players who has to stop playing due to injury,  those guys truly gave above and beyond to the team.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:53 AM, Caliborn72 said:

Good attrition in that they wouldn’t have been contributors. Definitely agree there.

But the 2015 and 2017 classes have taken some major dings. If Avery Roberts transfers, that 2017 class drops to around 60 in recruiting rankings with only 12 or 13 recruits left on campus. Our staff has done a good job replacing those numbers but it will be a work in progress in my opinion.

You telling me you went and researched the 59 programs above us and checked to see which players are still in their programs - Nice work that must have taken some effort....

12 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

You telling me you went and researched the 59 programs above us and checked to see which players are still in their programs - Nice work that must have taken some effort....

There is plenty of sunshine pumping to go around, we don’t need to have these stupid convos anytime there is a question brought up. Refusing to have real discussions about things that could potentially be an issue is how we ended up blindsided last year by a 4 win team. 

We’ve lost a lot of talent from the 2017 class. Of course there is no exact science to re-rank the class but we are all grown ups and can say that it sucks and that it poses a challenge for the new staff.

7 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

There is plenty of sunshine pumping to go around, we don’t need to have these stupid convos anytime there is a question brought up. Refusing to have real discussions about things that could potentially be an issue is how we ended up blindsided last year by a 4 win team. 

We’ve lost a lot of talent from the 2017 class. Of course there is no exact science to re-rank the class but we are all grown ups and can say that it sucks and that it poses a challenge for the new staff.

Grown ups would never compare grapes to watermelons

37 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Social media tends to make your own players seem bigger than life...….then the other team comes in and cuts them down to size. The repetition of names and speculation about potential makes for a lot of preseason superstars.

Totally true, but Roberts was a pretty exciting get. Especially after beating out Penn State. 

Could see him beasting it up at a G5 program. 

• Mavric changed the title to Avery Roberts