Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

I think we'll probably see both QBs in the first week or two, but if we want to realistically compete in conference play, we need to be settled on "the" QB by week 3, imo. 

There's nothing wrong with pulling a QB mid game or mid season if he's performing poorly, but unless we seriously plan on drawing up packages for both, then we're going to suffer once we get into the meat grinder of conference play if we're still playing musical chairs - even in practice. 

Imo, if either QB takes over sometime in the middle of the season it's likely because something bad has happened, not because it finally "clicked" for the other guy.

I voted for Gebbia because I think he's more of a complete player, I think he offers more flexibility in terms of gameplaning week to week and with potential in-game adjustments. I think he's better suited to use the skill players around him on any given week..... On paper, I look at him as a Joe Ganz type. Solid passer, solid runner, level head, it might look ugly or broken at times, but if everyone else does their jobs, we'll do pretty well. He might not be electric as a runner, but I think he's like Ganz in that he's a grinder, a gamer.

I think AM will get playing time this season, but unless he takes control by week 2 or 3, then I don't think he'll be starting at the end of the season.

Another reason I lean toward Gebbia, is because of the Blackshirts. No offense to our D or D coaches, but I look at the schedule, and I only see 3 or 4 teams that I expect us to hold under 20 points. I see another 5 teams that will likely score 35+.

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong by AM, but on paper, I'd rather have Gebbia in command if/and when we need to play fun-and-gun on the road. It's not even game day, but we already know that if we want to beat OSU, we will need to score 45+ points. We're going to need to sling the ball without turning it over. I just think Gebbia's skill set gives us a better chance in the shoot-outs we're about to get into.

23 minutes ago, Oade said:

Another reason I lean toward Gebbia, is because of the Blackshirts. No offense to our D or D coaches, but I look at the schedule, and I only see 3 or 4 teams that I expect us to hold under 20 points. I see another 5 teams that will likely score 35+.

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong by AM, but on paper, I'd rather have Gebbia in command if/and when we need to play fun-and-gun on the road. It's not even game day, but we already know that if we want to beat OSU, we will need to score 45+ points. We're going to need to sling the ball without turning it over. I just think Gebbia's skill set gives us a better chance in the shoot-outs we're about to get into.

I don't follow this argument. What makes Gebbia such a clear choice if you're trying to score high points? Generally when you're trying to score a higher than average number of points you need to take more risks, not fewer, especially against a superior foe.

I find it hilarious some of the assumptions we as a fan base can talk ourselves into.  I'm guilty.  The only concrete things we have to go off of are the spring game and high school highlights.  Both were bad a#$ high school quarterbacks.  One of them did pretty good in the spring game and the other did slightly better.  Beyond that, we don't know diddly.  Kudos to Frost and staff for feeding us just enough to have our interest peaked at just the right time.    

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't follow this argument. What makes Gebbia such a clear choice if you're trying to score high points? Generally when you're trying to score a higher than average number of points you need to take more risks, not fewer, especially against a superior foe.

In a shoot-out sort of scenario, Gebbia's arm and accuracy gives us more of an edge than AMs legs. I wouldn't say we need to take more risks, I would say we need to probably pass more than we would necessarily want, but that it has to be smart and mistake free, not risky. Something most true freshman struggle with.

If we're down a score or two, we're going to pass the ball more. If Gebbia's arm is clearly better than AM, I know who I would want on the field in that situation. 

I'd be thrilled if AM proved to be as good or better of a passer, but if not, we can't have passes floating too long or too high, and not expect to pay for it at some point. He would need to be a really really great runner to make up for any floating or inaccurate passes, we need sharp accuracy.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Oade said:

In a shoot-out sort of scenario, Gebbia's arm and accuracy gives us more of an edge than AMs legs. I wouldn't say we need to take more risks, I would say we need to probably pass more than we would necessarily want, but that it has to be smart and mistake free, not risky. Something most true freshman struggle with.

If we're down a score or two, we're going to pass the ball more. If Gebbia's arm is clearly better than AM, I know who I would want on the field in that situation.

That's what we said pre-season last year about Tanner Lee...  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Oade said:

In a shoot-out sort of scenario, Gebbia's arm and accuracy gives us more of an edge than AMs legs. I wouldn't say we need to take more risks, I would say we need to probably pass more than we would necessarily want, but that it has to be smart and mistake free, not risky.

Assume you need to score points because your defense isn't getting stops/creating turnovers or otherwise creating its own advantages. If your defense is spotting you 4 turnovers, then absolutely not turning the ball over and simply executing will win because of the high value of turnovers. There's your advantage to offset the superior talent of the opponent. If you just try to play smart, and don't get such advantages, you'll lose by attrition. They're simply that bit better than you, on average. You need an advantage to pull upsets. That often comes from defense or special teams, but for the sake of this argument we assume that's from the offense.

There was a quote from one of the scrimmages last week that when Chinander's defense was jumping around and bringing pressure, the offense didn't look so good. But when they went more vanilla, then the offense started to move. Now I'm assuming that was with both Martinez and Gebbia at the helm, but it is a little concerning because I doubt our opponent's defenses will take long to figure that out, so we'd better learn to deal with it. This may have had more to do with the offensive line dealing with it, than the QBs, I don't know.

In any event, I think if I was a defensive coordinator, there is one of these QBs that concerns me a lot more than another. THAT is the guy we need to go with. In my book, the QB that is the bigger breakaway threat to run, puts the most pressure on the D.

Martinez is the better runner.  Gebbia the better passer.  I suspect Gebbia with a full year under his belt has a better sense of command on the field than true frosh Martinez.  I'm betting Gebbia gets the nod to start first.  But I think we'll see Martinez get quite a few reps as the coaches bring him along.     

• Plus1 1