Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

I think there is a lot of factors that play into who is the best. I am pretty sure the debate will be settled when Frost announces this weekend. He is going to play the best guy. We are here debating 1 piece of the puzzle. Frost is reviewing the entire puzzle to pick the best guy. Maybe Gebbia places the ball perfect and Martinez places it a few inches outside of perfect. Are those few inches out of perfect worth overlooking his running ability down field, his ability to shake guys in the backfield and buy time for guys to get open etc. The defense has to maybe dedicate a guy to spy martinez. The zone read is an actual threat with martinez vs gebbia. I think if martinez can be close to gebbia in delivering the ball he has other intangibles that woudl make this offense a bigger threat with more to prepare for. Lets leave it to the experts boys- we happen to have one getting paid $5 million a year to make this call. 

Interesting stats from UCF's offensive production comparing 2016 to 2017.

2016:

Team averaged 18.8 completions on 34.5 attempts (54.6%) for 209.7 yds (1.1 TD per game)
QB Holman yds/attempt: 6.1
QB Milton yds/attempt: 5.9

Milton rushed 100 times on the season for 158 yds (1.58 yds/carry average)

Team rushing: 40.5 attempts, 3.5 yd/carry ave., 1.9 TDs per game

2017:
Team averaged 22.1 completions on 32.6 attempts (67.7%) for 331.8 yds (2.9 TDs/game)

QB Milton yds/attempt: 10.2

QB Vedral yds/attempt 9.5
Milton rushed 106 times on the season for 613 yds (5.8 yds/carry)

Team rushing: 38.5 attempts, 5.2 yd/carry ave., 3 TDs per game

Pass Plays / Rush Plays
2016     34.5     40.5
2017     32.6     38.5  

So efficiency on offense went way up in Year 2, but why? Better reads? Better O-Line? Added speed players around Milton? An extra year of strength/conditioning? More familiarity with the offence? Frost more familiar with the competition's defenses? All of the above?

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

So efficiency on offense went way up in Year 2, but why? Better reads? Better O-Line? Added speed players around Milton? An extra year of strength/conditioning? More familiarity with the offence? Frost more familiar with the competition's defenses? All of the above?

Because of Mario Verduzco.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Completion percentage is the only objective measure of accuracy available.  It is not exactly the same thing but it is a very good proxy.

And obviously the larger the sample size the clearer that is. The coaches would know if one has better accuracy than the other since they've seen more passes than the 15-20 that we've seen.

• Plus1 1

I voted for TG earlier this week but was considering changing my mind to AM until I heard the audio from HSCF this morning. He again emphasized efficiency, taking care of the ball, making good, timely decisions and not making mistakes. So, I'm sticking with TG based solely on HS passing stats where he had a big edge. But AM made a  huge jump from his soph. to jr. year. If he would have played as a senior who knows, he might have matched TG.  Is this relevant? No, but since we don't have access to practices I needed something to base my guess on.

Comp %

TG - 65%/63%/70% - 66% career

AM - 51%/60% - 56% career

TD/INT

TG - 35/11, 45/9, 61/11 - 141/31career

AM - 14/7, 25/4 - 39/11 career

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I remember a post shortly after the spring game highlighting Gebbia vs Martinez in terms of accuracy. Gebbia consistently puts the ball in the best spot for his guys to make a play after the catch, Martinez can get the ball to his guy but it might not be in the optimal place. That showed in the spring game imo though Gebbia did miss one wide open throw.

Yeau but can Gebs go 80 yards untouched? Is his speed coachable? The upside is all the things Martinez needs to work on are coachable. On paper, he's athletically the most gifted QB on our roster with the most potential in a SF offense.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Completion percentage is the only objective measure of accuracy available.  It is not exactly the same thing but it is a very good proxy.

It is not accuracy. Completion percentage and accuracy are not remotely the same.

A completion is whether anyone caught the ball. Accuracy is how close you were to your target.

Especially when you are evaluating quarterbacks this is huge. If a receiver has to adjust, but catches the ball is vastly different than hitting him in stride. Trying to throw a fade vs missing inside is the difference between a DB breaking on the ball vs not. Merely catching the ball is a function of receiver vs defender but putting the ball where you want is a repeatable skill.

• Plus1 8
27 minutes ago, brophog said:

It is not accuracy. Completion percentage and accuracy are not remotely the same.

A completion is whether anyone caught the ball. Accuracy is how close you were to your target.

Especially when you are evaluating quarterbacks this is huge. If a receiver has to adjust, but catches the ball is vastly different than hitting him in stride. Trying to throw a fade vs missing inside is the difference between a DB breaking on the ball vs not. Merely catching the ball is a function of receiver vs defender but putting the ball where you want is a repeatable skill.

If the QB throws ugly ducks but gets the ball to his playmakers, he's doing something right. I give you Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Taylor Martinez, you get the point. These guys were not the most accurate passers but they were clutch and made completions when it mattered the most.

I don't think SF all of a sudden forgot all about that. I'm sure he's aware that when it's 30 degrees out and the wind is gusting 20-30 mph we can't expect to be slinging it around.

4 hours ago, brophog said:

Dude.  Just stop.

You have to get close to the target for them to be able to catch the ball.  Yes, they are not exactly the same thing.  But they are closely related and completion percentage is the best widely-available proxy therefor.  If you are often putting the ball in the best place for a receiver to catch it (accurate), they will catch more of them.  If you are often throwing high/low/ahead/behind/etc. (inaccurate) they will catch fewer of them.  It's not perfect but it's the best we have.

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish in this argument.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Dude.  Just stop.

You have to get close to the target for them to be able to catch the ball.  Yes, they are not exactly the same thing.  But they are closely related and completion percentage is the best widely-available proxy therefor.  If you are often putting the ball in the best place for a receiver to catch it (accurate), they will catch more of them.  If you are often throwing high/low/ahead/behind/etc. (inaccurate) they will catch fewer of them.  It's not perfect but it's the best we have.

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish in this argument.

The arguing lately, it's almost like two magnets facing each other with the north pole ends. No matter what you do, they repel and push each other away. I think with each passing day, more and more of us around here are on edge. There will be a collective sigh of relief once a starter is named and Akron week starts.

We're just a minority on here but once our season officially kicks off, we'll be united again like Frost said. It's been far too long since our fanbase last had a camaraderie.

12 minutes ago, FTW said:

The arguing lately, it's almost like two magnets facing each other with the north pole ends. No matter what you do, they repel and push each other away. I think with each passing day, more and more of us around here are on edge. There will be a collective sigh of relief once a starter is named and Akron week starts.

We're just a minority on here but once our season officially kicks off, we'll be united again like Frost said. It's been far too long since our fanbase last had a camaraderie.

so-beautiful.gif

• Plus1 2