Final Vote - who takes the 1st snap at QB?

Who takes the 1st snap at QB?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the 1st snap at QB?

• Tristan Gebbia
    • Adrian Martinez

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/25/2018 at 04:59 AM

39 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I am really excited about this. Many of us thought Gebbia was probably the starter because we thought he was more of the lower error point guard type. But if AM is just as good of point guard and with his play making ability; that is exciting!

I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was going to be Gebbia so my head exploded this morning thinking about how dynamic the offense could be with Martinez.  I think everyone thought Martinez has "it" and would eventually become starter.  If the staff feels he is as good as Gebbia's passing and decision making then wow we could really have a Milton like offense by mid--season.  Martinez size also makes me less concerned about injury. 

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was going to be Gebbia so my head exploded this morning thinking about how dynamic the offense could be with Martinez.  I think everyone thought Martinez has "it" and would eventually become starter.  If the staff feels he is as good as Gebbia's passing and decision making then wow we could really have a Milton like offense by mid--season.  Martinez size also makes me less concerned about injury. 

I've thought, really since Martinez got here, if he was 90% as good as Gebbia at throwing and decision-making, he might still have the advantage due to running ability and size. Because I assumed he was a much better runner than Gebbia. I would take 60% completion vs 65% completion if the former is a legit running threat and the latter is serviceable.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've thought, really since Martinez got here, if he was 90% as good as Gebbia at throwing and decision-making, he might still have the advantage due to running ability and size. Because I assumed he was a much better runner than Gebbia. I would take 60% completion vs 65% completion if the former is a legit running threat and the latter is serviceable.

This is a good thread discussing this very thing.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/85558-qb-run-game-the-myth-of-the-frost-offense/

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

Just reading the OP - I'd rather have a Taylor Martinez type (with less fumbles) coached by Frost and Verduzco and with Frost as the playcaller. I believe in Frost's ability to develop a QB like Taylor Martinez that can do both things really well. I think Taylor Martinez with Frost as his coach would have been a better player. Maybe a much better player. Or maybe he wouldn't have been capable of running Frost's offense. That's possible too. I believe the offense he was running was Beck's attempt at Oregon's offense.

Admittedly, part of this opinion is because it's just something that I find more fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Oregon's and Frost's offenses have worked even when they haven't had dynamic runners at QB, but they are taken to the next level when they have a dynamic running QB like Mariota.  If you look at the QB's Frost has recruited to NU, they are all very dynamic runners.  Milton was an effective enough runner to make the offense work at UCF, but Frost can recruit a bigger and better QB to NU, than he can to UCF.  Sam McKewon has made some very good points about not needing a QB who can make big plays with his legs against most of NU's schedule, but where a guy like Martinez is most effective is against a defense like Michigan or Wisconsin.  A QB who can make a play for himself in the run game is huge against great defenses.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I still worry about injury with AM due to the shoulder issues. He may be big, but still has injury history.

6 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I still worry about injury with AM due to the shoulder issues. He may be big, but still has injury history.

Is having one shoulder injury nearly 2 years ago "issues"?  From what I remember it was a freak injury while he was playing basketball as a junior in high school, and it required surgery.

EDIT:  Here are the details of Martinez's shoulder surgery in 2017.  https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article143192209.html

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is having one shoulder injury nearly 2 years ago "issues"?  From what I remember it was a freak injury while he was playing basketball as a junior in high school, and it required surgery.  

I don't know much about the injury, but he was out his whole Senior year and even during the spring was not quite 100% yet. Also with many injuries you're more likely to be susceptible to the same injury. Not sure if that is the case with this injury or not. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Oregon's and Frost's offenses have worked even when they haven't had dynamic runners at QB, but they are taken to the next level when they have a dynamic running QB like Mariota.  If you look at the QB's Frost has recruited to NU, they are all very dynamic runners.  Milton was an effective enough runner to make the offense work at UCF, but Frost can recruit a bigger and better QB to NU, than he can to UCF.  Sam McKewon has made some very good points about not needing a QB who can make big plays with his legs against most of NU's schedule, but where a guy like Martinez is most effective is against a defense like Michigan or Wisconsin.  A QB who can make a play for himself in the run game is huge against great defenses.

No denying that. The scenario is trading completion percentage for running ability. The difference between a 60 and 70 percent passer is huge vs Wisconsin, too. Mario has stated that he's recruiting athletes because he believes he can teach the rest. He's not going to be happy with a 60 percent passer regardless of athletic ability, and other than Milton's freshman year, the numbers don't suggest their QBs would produce at that level.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Having a shifty runner like Martinez requires the defense to account for him on every play which should open things up downfield.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Wunderkind said:

I don't know much about the injury, but he was out his whole Senior year and even during the spring was not quite 100% yet. Also with many injuries you're more likely to be susceptible to the same injury. Not sure if that is the case with this injury or not. 

His injury was a torn labrum, so they had to rebuild the shoulder.  Yes, that required significant rehab and training to get Martinez back to full health, but I think it's a much different issue than chronic shoulder pain or soreness.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would agree with all of this and the recruits we have been going after are certainly good runners.

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

No denying that. The scenario is trading completion percentage for running ability. The difference between a 60 and 70 percent passer is huge vs Wisconsin, too. Mario has stated that he's recruiting athletes because he believes he can teach the rest. He's not going to be happy with a 60 percent passer regardless of athletic ability, and other than Milton's freshman year, the numbers don't suggest their QBs would produce at that level.

Hey, I said 90% as good at throwing. That'd be 63% vs 70%, so there.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I remember people saying Taylor Martinez's "accuracy" improved after working on his throwing motion. 

But I don't think his throwing motion changed much at all.

I do think he started throwing to a better corps of receivers.

Taylor Martinez's motion didn't change much, but I think he did improve his footwork, which leads to better accuracy.